I wonder if he will remember today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hug:s for all who are faced with a loved one's mental decline. My mom has shown some pretty substantial long-term memory deficits in the past six months, as well as a decline in mood which often accompanies it, and so I've been preparing myself for the worst. Sadly, it was only a few years ago that she herself was caring for another elderly relative suffering from dementia (not an Alzheimer's diagnosis, but still awful).

My mom's house is immaculate, she runs her daily affairs really well, her church keeps assigning her to head up committees, she sings in the choir, she's quite active so it really masked the illness for us (and we're all far away except for one sister who is an hour away). She was becoming increasingly more forgetful but it seemed to be limited to appointments, time, schedules, what day my flight was arriving, etc. But then she sent a Christmas card to me to an old address and when I called to go over my new address (that I've had for a year and half) she was so confused because the street address is in Spanish and it took 20 minutes to go over it. Even then it really wasn't until she asked if the city went on the same line as the street that I realized she had changed dramatically since I saw her 6 months ago.

:sad:

:hug: group hug for everyone dealing with this :hug:

joyfulgirl said:
Today my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My sisters and I have a tough road ahead.

I'm sorry to hear that, joyfulgirl.

My grandmother has suffered with Alzheimer's for about 8 years now (AD patients can live for up to 20 years following diagnosis), and so I am very familiar with it, as I've been one of her full time caretakers during that time. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions. :hug:

All the best to you and your family.

I'm so sorry to hear this news joyfulgirl and tiny dancer. I'll be thinking of you and your families.

nbCrusader, I also have you and your family in my thoughts.

joyfulgirl said:
Today my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My sisters and I have a tough road ahead.

How's your Dad, nbc?

My prayers are with you and your family. :hug: This is the one disease that is hardest on everyone but the person with the disease.

We've been forced to get a conservatorship in order to care for my dad. He is living on his own and still wants to drive his car. Everyone I've talked to says he needs help and should not drive anymore.

He was served with the papers on Tuesday. I was there and sat with him for an hour while he tried to process what is happening.

Fortunately, a care facility near our home is highly regarded by all the people who work in this area - social services, court personnel, attorneys and doctors.

Once he is around other people and starts eating regular, healthy food, his decline will slow.

It has been a fairly stressful few months as my dad calls regularly to accuse me of stealing his television remote, cups, pens, glasses, etc. I realize that it is not really him anymore - it is the memory lapses speaking.

If you have any specific questions, or just want to chat about it, feel free to email me at nbcrusader @ gmail . com

nbcrusader said:
It has been a fairly stressful few months as my dad calls regularly to accuse me of stealing his television remote, cups, pens, glasses, etc. I realize that it is not really him anymore - it is the memory lapses speaking.

I've been experiencing a lot of that with my mother - not accusasions of stealing, or anything, but really irrational mood swings where she takes things out on me, and yet my siblings, both a fair amount older than me, and more distant from her, are relatively unscathed. It's really difficult for me to admit this, but I've been through some relatively major life changes in myself over the past few years, and a small part of me would love to have the support of my mother, and it's just not there. Obviously, I intellectually know that she's not capable of providing it, and yet I wish she could. Have any of you struggled to come to terms with the shifting parent/child roles?

Wow, this is really hard for me to talk about. :reject:

nbcrusader said:

My prayers are with you and your family. :hug: This is the one disease that is hardest on everyone but the person with the disease.

We've been forced to get a conservatorship in order to care for my dad. He is living on his own and still wants to drive his car. Everyone I've talked to says he needs help and should not drive anymore.

He was served with the papers on Tuesday. I was there and sat with him for an hour while he tried to process what is happening.

Fortunately, a care facility near our home is highly regarded by all the people who work in this area - social services, court personnel, attorneys and doctors.

Once he is around other people and starts eating regular, healthy food, his decline will slow.

If you have any specific questions, or just want to chat about it, feel free to email me at nbcrusader @ gmail . com

This sounds heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. :hug: Thanks for yours (and everyone's) kind wishes and the offer to chat.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that the same woman who just sang Handel's Messiah with one of Virginia's top symphonies needs to move into assisted living. The sad thing is that she shouldn't be living alone but I don't think she needs to leave her home yet so we are having difficulty finding a middle road. As the single one with no children I am the obvious choice for a family member to live with her until she needs more professional care but my life is in New Mexico, and I can't afford to lose my incredible job. Plus, I've just never been close to her. I just talked to her on the phone and she sounds so happy and not at all concerned about the situation. She had a an accident a few years ago and we made my sister power-of-attorney then while my mom was in a clear thinking mode so we won't have to take the drastic measures you just did with the conservatorship (I guess? I'm not really sure now that I think about it.) I feel nauseous about the whole thing.

:(

anitram said:

I'm sorry to hear that, joyfulgirl.

My grandmother has suffered with Alzheimer's for about 8 years now (AD patients can live for up to 20 years following diagnosis), and so I am very familiar with it, as I've been one of her full time caretakers during that time. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions. :hug:

All the best to you and your family.

Thank you, anitram. We've seen early warning signs for about 5 or 6 years now mostly around time issues but there has been a rapid deterioration in the last 6 months. How effective is medication in slowing down the progression of the disease?

VintagePunk said:

Have any of you struggled to come to terms with the shifting parent/child roles?

Wow, this is really hard for me to talk about. :reject:

Oh yes, definitely, although since I was never close to my mother I haven't relied on her for the kind of parental support that most of my friends have received from their parents. I guess for me it's hard to come to terms with the fact that now I know for sure we are unlikely to have any kind of healing between us and I'll have to put all my issues aside and process them without her.

VintagePunk said:
Have any of you struggled to come to terms with the shifting parent/child roles?

That has been a difficult transition, especially trying to communicate the need for the transition to my dad. He sometimes has a "let me hurt myself" attitude. I wouldn't do that with my own children, now I need to step in for him.

nbcrusader said:

I am sorry to hear about your dad, this seems like a tough time.

Although getting him in to a good facility is half the battle. They are not as common as you think, but if you find a good one, with a strong support system on call that makes everything soooo much easier.

In my experiance, as soon as one gets settled (which might be a while if its a new environment) things will look up. We had a similar situation in my family and while the inital move was disorienting, after things calmed down my aunts health greatly impoved as did general quality of living (gained some weight, was able to follow a book/tv show for a bit, made some friends).

Well good luck. I am feeling/rooting for you.

Wow reading this thread makes me feel for all of you dealing with the alzheimers situation, so my heart and prayers go out to all of you and to your families, and yet at the same time it gives me information to tuck away to help my sister and I as we notice changes in our mother who just turned 74, altho subtle changes. She lives alone and we are encouraging her to sell the house and downsize. It's sad, isn't it, how this disease consumes us.

I noticed changes last year through a series of events. But as we realized what we were facing, we began to undestand some of the more subtle changes that were occurring in his life. For example, my dad would play duplicate bridge on regular basis. After a while, we realized that he wasn't going anymore. Same for his driving. He stopped visiting his brother because he just couldn't remember how to get to his house.

Solitary living plays a part in this. I am convinced that some of my dad's problems stems from his isolation.

My mother stopped calling about 2 years ago but whenever I called her she always sounded so great and her life seemed so full and busy so I wondered if she was concerned about the cost of calling (she has money but grew up during the Depression so she is always concerned about the cost of things even when she doesn't need to be). I gave her a prepaid calling card as a gift so she could call me for free. She never used it and now I realize she probably couldn't figure out to dial all those numbers and codes and didn't want me to know. She always had an excuse for not using it--mainly that the phone she prefers to use is one of the old-fashioned ones that you dial even though she has a touchtone phone in another room. Many things have started to make more sense now and I realize they were early warning signs but we could always rationalize them away somehow. :(

Solitary living plays a part in this. I am convinced that some of my dad's problems stems from his isolation

Same with my mom although she lives in a tiny town where there are so many people like her and they all look out for each other. She has a lot of friends and the church.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that the same woman who just sang Handel's Messiah with one of Virginia's top symphonies needs to move into assisted living.
What *are* some of the trouble signs children with aging, single parents ought to be alert to? Could anyone provide a list?

This kind of thing really worries me when I think about my own mother's situation. At 75, she lives alone a couple hours north of Miami (a very long day's drive from the nearest child) and she just loves her solitude, paints and sculpts, teaches a Forever Learning class in Greek occasionally, etc. Yet, as you point out, persistent high competence in some areas doesn't mean that others aren't slipping dangerously. As the child best financially placed to look after her, I've told her more than once how much we'd love to have her in our house, wheedled her with appeals to how much fun the kids would find having her around, etc. But she won't hear of it--she loves her space and her ocean and her sunshine and all that. Most years we only see her twice a year, and only for a short time, and same for the rest of my sibs, so I can't say with confidence that we really would *know* if her day-to-day self-care competence was slipping, which scares me.
I guess for me it's hard to come to terms with the fact that now I know for sure we are unlikely to have any kind of healing between us and I'll have to put all my issues aside and process them without her.
:hug:

Actually this makes me wince at how full of garbage I am, because one of my favorite platitudes to drop on friends expressing their fears of initiating a long-needed healing dialogue with their parent (or child) has always been: Do It Now, because nothing that could come out of anyone's mouth during that process could possibly be as painful as suddenly and irrevocably losing the chance to do it at all. Yet through almost two decades of wisely saying this, I put off working through things with my own mother--we've always gotten on well enough, but there were so many awkward silences and don't-go-there areas stemming from the years after my father died and I tried to fill his shoes by "helping" her raise my two younger sibs, often overzealously and through comments that didn't show much respect for all the emotional exhaustion and isolation she was going through.

Pathetically, what finally made it happen was when I had serious medical problems myself last year and finally had no choice but to call her and tell her what was happening, which was damn near the hardest thing I ever had to do--I had so much invested in being the good, reliable kid who always helped her out but never gave her cause to worry about me. But anyway, this turned out to be a blessing, because I was thus able to work through a lot of that baggage not only with her, but also with my older brothers, who I'd long resented on some levels for what I considered their failure to pitch in after my dad died.

I guess all I can say is good luck working through it all, don't hesitate to draw upon your siblings in the process (people who think "Oh, they're no help" *usually* turn out to be wrong), and know that the worth of helping her out when she most needs you--even if she can't fully appreciate it--ultimately outranks that of having everything all neatly worked out (which never fully happens anyway) in the big picture of a lifetime of caring for each other. Parents and children inevitably hurt each other at some points, that's just the way it is, and no one can hope to rectify all of it.
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We've been forced to get a conservatorship in order to care for my dad.
nb, how are things going with him now?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom