i went to see a movie all by myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hate going to movies with people

or people hate going to movies with me

i don't think they enjoy the critical dissection of the themes and motifs their unartistic eyes are unable to spot

i go to the movies by myself all the time.

its cool to go with other people too...sometimes.

i rarely see movie alone.. i mean i ask my friends, colleagues...sometimes even offer to buy them tickets ( and they are not girls even)...but sometimes people are busy or dont want to go to movie..

lots of loners around here...ABEL, yertle, icelle :ohmy: :wink: :wave:

Last edited:
I don't think it is about being a loner.

For some reason, you have gone along with some societal expectation that says YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE MOVIES WITH PEOPLE.

Seems like a silly rule to me. But I could see how you are thinking. Anyway....it really isn't a big deal.

i hate going to see movies with people. and by people i mean i even hate when i go alone and there are more than 5 other people in the theater. but i like going to movies by myself rather than with people.

but of course, i couldn't say no to a movie with any of you guys :wink:

zoney! said:
I don't think it is about being a loner.

For some reason, you have gone along with some societal expectation that says YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE MOVIES WITH PEOPLE.

I agree. I truly enjoy going to the movies alone, and I have lots of friends. I have seen many more movies alone in the theatre than with friends. It's often a spontaneous decision for me and I can't be bothered trying to plan something with somebody when the movie I want to see starts in 20 minutes, and there is always the risk that they'll say, "Well, I'd love to go to the movies with you but I don't want to see that particular one and I won't be ready for another hour" and then it's like, why did I bother to call? Plus, it's just fun to sink into a good movie alone.

I saw Love Actually a couple weeks back on my day off. There was no one with me to argue about what to see, which was a nice change of pace.

**cass joins the club**
I've even gone to midday mattinees alone and talked in the foyer to little old ladies with blue hair:crazy::D
I went to see "Dracula" alone one night and only 2 other people turned up. The cinema owner asked.."do you really want to see it?"
Shit yeah!! all 3 of us had driven quite a long way especially to see it.

I sat at the very back, alone.......:macdevil:

I seriously want to go to the U2 concert alone. My girlfriends are lovely, but they talk through movies and they'd talk through a U2 concert for sure...there'd be some drama or other going on...for sure.
I spend the vast majority of my time alone.
If you are comfortable alone...it's groovy...imho.

what movie did you see?
radiohead:up:

cass said:

I seriously want to go to the U2 concert alone.

I went to see U2 alone once and with friends twice on the last tour. None of my friends would get on an airplane, fly to another city, and then stand outside starting at 10AM to get in the heart. Some things you just have to do alone! The one I went to alone was the best experience of the three, but I didn't tell my friends that. :)

:yes: Oh, yeah, i'm with Cass and you others-I like going to movies alone. tho it has been fun going with friends sometimes, when it is a gr-8 movie, but watch out when it's a bad one!:eyebrow: And i have also seen U2...*with or without friends.(.*sorry, could not resist:wink)and both have been good experiences. I'll go see U2!!:yes:

joyfulgirl said:

I went to see U2 alone once and with friends twice on the last tour. None of my friends would get on an airplane, fly to another city, and then stand outside starting at 10AM to get in the heart. Some things you just have to do alone! The one I went to alone was the best experience of the three, but I didn't tell my friends that. :)

I need to go to concerts alone more often. My friends have differing music tastes and don't get into some of the same loca; indie bands I get into.

I wouldn't mind going to the movies alone...but I hate eating alone. It always makes me feel really pathetic. When I go to the food court at the mall on my breaks, I always feel like a loser. I usually get my food to go and eat it in the back room.

I have eaten alone (both in mall setings and in swanky places when I was traveling on business and on an expense account) ... I am not sure how I feel about it.

I rarely go to the cinema

but going alone?!!?!? :ohmy: Who can you talk to throughout the film :silent: I always talk to the ppl/ person I got with :shifty:

I dont see the big deal in going alone :shrug: Ppl go to concerts/ bars/ cafes alone whats diff about the cinema :shrug: I would do it if I had to but I dont like the cinema I go about 3 times a year - if even that.

cass said:

I seriously want to go to the U2 concert alone. My girlfriends are lovely, but they talk through movies and they'd talk through a U2 concert for sure...there'd be some drama or other going on...for sure.

that's another thing, i like going to shows alone too. there's this one guy from the radio station who i sometimes go to see bands with, it's cool though, he prefers to stand in the back, i like to be down in front singing along, or in the pit. all my other friends hate getting seperated at shows because they don't like being alone out in public (fall prey to the social thing that zoney mentioned)...it works though, we find each other at the end of the show in order to drive back from wherever the show is.

seriously, i don't think i'm really capable of fully enjoying a concert when i'm with friends or family. my family are the type who stand in the back and nod along only if they really like the band. if i really like the band, i need to be as close to the stage as possible, and i'll be singing along as much as i can. my friends are pretty much the same. i went to see tool with my best friend, and the entire time i had no idea whether she was enjoying it or not. she looked like she was having a horrible time standing there with her arms folded watching the stage. i didn't know the words, so i just bobbed my head along, but if she hadn't gone on about how great the band had been on the walk back, i'd have thought she hated it...

Bonochick said:
I wouldn't mind going to the movies alone...but I hate eating alone. It always makes me feel really pathetic.

See, you just need a slight shift in perspective. Instead of feeling pathetic, how about confident and independent? I don't mind eating alone, although it's not as good as seeing a movie alone. But if I have a book or a newspaper, it's fun. Recently I was eating alone and someone I didn't know, a young girl, came up to me and said, "Since we're both alone, let's eat together!" I thought it was rather intrusive, although I think she meant well, but I didn't mind saying, "You know, I've got a lot on my mind right now and prefer being alone" which was the utter truth. I just couldn't make small talk just because she didn't want to eat alone. But she looked devastated and I felt like a big bitch even though I couldn't have been nicer about it. :( I think being comfortable eating alone just comes with age, too. I travel a lot for work so I have had to get comfy with it. But I didn't mind when I was in college either, come to think of it, so maybe age has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

Bonochick said:
I wouldn't mind going to the movies alone...but I hate eating alone. It always makes me feel really pathetic. When I go to the food court at the mall on my breaks, I always feel like a loser. I usually get my food to go and eat it in the back room.

another thing, i prefer to eat alone cos i don't like hanging around the dinning hall or food court longer than necessary...i have to be reading something though.

I love going to the movies alone...but I don't get to do that very often anymore. A friend has Friday off and is going to see LOTR (3) by herself--I am SO jealous!

It drives me freaking nuts when people talk in movies, and I've had friends who I've gone to movies with once--and ONE time ONLY b/c they talked through the whole thing. When I go to the movies, I immerse myself in what's going on. I want to forget the popcorn munching going on around me...

As for eating alone in public--I hate it. I feel so, I dunno, obvious. Like BORED, I have to have something to read or I feel weird.

I don't go to the movies that much, but when I do I seem to go by myself more often than I go with someone else. I mean, why not? You can't talk during the movie without disturbing others anyway. Besides, this way I don't have to worry that I'm dragging someone with me who maybe won't like the movie. A lot of times I've had people ask me to go with them to a movie that I had very little or no interest in seeing, and I end up going anyway just so I don't appear unsociable or look like I'm dissing their taste in movies, and I don't want to put other people in that spot. Of course if I know someone is just as interested in seeing a certain movie as I am, that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom