I want to put my head through a goddamn wall and yell at whoever is on the other side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:
Wow, it's going to be 5 months next week. And you know what? I still want a goddamn cigarette. :(

you'll always want one - it's been 20 years and i still want one... something you just learn to ride out and accept. my friend is still addicted to the nicotine gum but i guess that's better than the smokes. toughest thing i ever kicked was the chewing tobacco... wow.

Lucky for me I didn't replace the smokes with another source of nicotine. The gum looked real unappealing, and dipping never really did it for me. I used to do it in high school a little bit, never full time. I've heard it was tough to stop.

UberBeaver said:
How is the cutting back working out? I cut back years ago, and just maintained it. I think it made the quitting easier.

Not good. I fail :down:

UberBeaver said:
6 months. :D

:(

It was 2 years ago on June 17 for me - cold turkey. I've been to pubs successfully. I've also had the occasional smoke. Nothing has made me want to start again. After a while, those occasional smokes might not be a problem because they taste so foul and you are simply feeding a very short term and temporary urge. Once you take the first drag you realise you didn't want it.

Congrats, though. It's a hard addiction.

good job Beav
woohoonaner2gy.gif

Angela Harlem said:

It was 2 years ago on June 17 for me - cold turkey. I've been to pubs successfully. I've also had the occasional smoke. Nothing has made me want to start again. After a while, those occasional smokes might not be a problem because they taste so foul and you are simply feeding a very short term and temporary urge. Once you take the first drag you realise you didn't want it.

Congrats, though. It's a hard addiction.

I haven't even taken a drag, cause I know me, and I'll want to smoke again. I still miss it. It's not constant like it was in the beginning, but after a good meal or a few drinks, it's like I never stopped. It passes quickly at least, only a fleeting sort of craving, but still strong.

I'm approaching two years, it's funny because I don't even remember what it was like being a smoker, I don't seem to have any noticeable cravings.

I will say that the only people who smoke that I am in contact with are my father and my co-workers. I really believe that it's easier if you don't surround yourself with people who smoke.

UberBeaver said:

I haven't even taken a drag, cause I know me, and I'll want to smoke again. I still miss it. It's not constant like it was in the beginning, but after a good meal or a few drinks, it's like I never stopped. It passes quickly at least, only a fleeting sort of craving, but still strong.

I thought I'd be the same. I was so relieved at how filthy it was after not having had one for 14 months or something when I bummed one off a friend at a pub! If anything it strengthened my resolve
:up:

Is anything helping with the cravings, like your intelligence?
Here's the ad which kicked me up the bum and gave me my lightbulb moment. These are just actors, but they represent thousands of smokers. I don't want to be one. I do not want a doctor telling me there is nothing he can do. My 'cravings' can get fucked (like nsw govt taxes!).
http://www.quit.org.au/downloads/commercials/2005/Harder30

Keep strong, beav. You are doing really well.
:up:

the link didn't work. :(

My intelligence doesn't really help me with much. Though one time I locked myself out of the house, but I figured out how to pick a window open - that was pretty smart I thought.

We just had a baby, so that helps, yeah. She won't be around smoking parents. Which will hopefully help her out.

UberBeaver said:
the link didn't work. :(

My intelligence doesn't really help me with much. Though one time I locked myself out of the house, but I figured out how to pick a window open - that was pretty smart I thought.

We just had a baby, so that helps, yeah. She won't be around smoking parents. Which will hopefully help her out.

darn. ok. they're great ads. i can fiddle with them if you're curious! the last is especially relevent, now you have an offspring.

you're doing really well, though. be proud!

Uh....10 months now? Yeah.

This is crazy, but I still want a cigarette - every now and then I get this incredible urge to smoke, the same urge I used to get when I did smoke. It's as if my body forgets it doesn't smoke anymore. It only lasts a second or two, but still. Enough already.

I check the news everyday for the Magic Smoking Pill that will let me smoke with no harmful side effects, but it never comes. I started running in an attempt to reclaim my lungs from 16 years (give or take) of filling them with Carbon Monoxide. I hate running as much as i loved smoking. I see it as penance though. It's a very NJ way of living - and NJ has helped me through this time, no doubt - I'm bringing the balance (not to mention Sexy) back. The running should also help with the weight gained.

I'm still tempted to bum smokes off my friends. I still enjoy the smell of cigarettes, I breathe deep when I pass by a smoker.

Back
Top Bottom