I want to go back to school and quit my job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justified

Refugee
i want to go back to school on a full-time basis and knock out the hrs i have left to obtain my degree. i want to this while not working at my current job.

the problem. every year for the past 4 years around this time i get this way, and i get pissed off with my job and get it in my head that i am going to leave my job and become a full time student but i end up freaking myself out and stay with my job. :slant: i am not satisfied with my job and for the fact i have not received my degree yet. i am only a few semesters short of it and feel that i have put it off too long.

problem is, how do i just dump a full time well paying job and go to school full time? :shrug: :reject: :scream:

Last edited:
I want to go back to job and quit my school.

Though not my last job.

Perhaps just a job where I get paid to be lazy all day and eat chocolate and surf the internet.

Oh, wait, that WAS my last job. :|

But I want another one.

The longer you wait, the worse it will get. And, sure, you have a full time job now, but if you get fired for any reason, such as an economic downturn, it will be harder for you to get a good job without at least a Bachelor's Degree.

A lot of this will, of course, depend on your situation in life, such as if you are married and/or with children. I would say, though, that if you are single, you have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. Make sure to apply for federal and state (if applicable) financial aid, which can help out.

Melon

You don't dump the job. You look into schools you want to go to. You take the necessary tests (GREs?) and you start looking for other jobs. Perhaps another job, like someone mentioned, will help pay for your education. Save, save, save every single penny you can and apply for financial aid like Melon said. See if you can foot the bill on your own, while working at this current job. Maybe you can drop down to part-time hours so you can take more classes.

There are options available. Find the one that will best fit you- but I know the perfect option won't be available until after you get the degree and can really move onto what you want.

I'm in the same exact spot in my life. My non-existance at work causes me misery and I've been taking cont. ed classes and I'm applying for Fall admission for what I've always wanted to do. If my parents lived close to my work, I'd move home again and save $$. (That's saying A LOT since living at home= :crazy: )

Anyway, just do it. Seriously. You'll regret it if you don't. :slant:

moving back with the parents is not an option.
taking part-time hours with my current job is not an option. :angry:

i am looking for another job that will give me the flexibility that will allow me to go back to school but i want to just knock this out.

i should not have screwed this up when i was younger. :mad: maybe i need to marry rich and ask my husband to support me for a bit while i finish my degree.

oh well i will figure this out. i am also trying to find a way to leave this job. traveling all the time with this job makes it tough for me to do a lot at home. i should be greatful i have a well paying job but i am still not complete. i need that degree! :scream:

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem...I want to go back to school and become a Spanish Teacher...but my job said that they'll support me and help me pay for classes ONLY if I take something related to my job right now...well i'm an Office Manager at a School but a Carpentry School...so like I couldn't use it here...bleh so now i'm stuck whether or not to leave my job, which they are about to give me about a $5 raise. So now i'm like dammit!!! LOL

This is freaking similar to my situation right now. I'd been putting off finishing my Bsc for over two years now and moved on to get a job and currently I'm finishing my Msc. Just this week I contacted my old school again and probably next week I'm going to have a meeting with my mentor and the head of the Environmental Science department to see how we can finish this Bsc before the end of the schoolyear.

Melon is correct. The longer you wait the more difficult it's going to get for yourself, but also because they might change things in the curriculum. Do not wait any longer. Try talking to a advisor I'm sure your school has. It's their job to help students with these decisions. In any case, it wouldn't hurt. :up:

You only live once, dont do something you might later regret, if you relly want to go to school, do it. :up:

:wink: well, alot of good advice here for you-all I can say is do it! Some how, some way! I wouldn't let go of your job, unless you did find a better one, maybe not so much because it will pay for your schooling, but because you will be happier with that job(hopefully)while pursueing your degree! Alot of people do what they Have to do-work and go to school. It's not easy, but it is doable! Go for it-why live life with regrets?:) :up:

thanks all. if i was thinking properly and not crying over a broken relationship back in 1998 I would have just stuck it out one more year and finished my degree but no I moved home and was sucked into the clutches of $$$$$$$$$$ with a full-time job. I should have a PhD already! :down: I have not taken a class at my university since 2001 so it is time to go back. there is another university that i am thinking about going to because they work with full-time working professionals so the class times are nice and easy to work with. all i need is 2 semesters of full-time classes to finish my degree. how annoying is that! :mad: *kicks self*

Last edited:
i was exactly the same, dropped out of university with the intention of going back the following year on a different course. of course every time it came to applying i didnt, was addicted to my wage packet you see.
in the end i was at this job for a total of 3 and a half years, and i got really pissed off one day and just went and applied for a course i heard about, and there has been no looking back!

well there has, at times i would love to have my wages back. but i'm definetly glad i went back into full time education.
it was a big decision, but the right one!

Back
Top Bottom