I Want to Confess Something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soul Always

Acrobat
I didn't even know the band's names when I went to my first U2 concert (PopMart). No, not even Bono's. In fact, I didn't even think it was important to know their names until about halfway through the concert. Then, I thought I should. Also, U2 has probably been my favorite band since I first heard a U2 song, during Joshua Tree, but I didn't know a THING about the band, except that they were Irish, until AFTER Nov. 9, 2001. I also confess that the only reason I know anything about the band now is because I became interested in Bono on the above date. If it weren't for him, I still wouldn't know anything, and frankly, I know very little about the other members. Truly, Bono is the one I'm interested in, as a human being. One more confession. I confess that I do not consider myself a fan. I love their music. Their music does something for me, like any other fan. They are my favorite group and always will be. But, to me, a fan is a total other animal. So, there are my confessions. Are these really terrible things? :scratch:....oh, and I also want to confess that the only reason I come on U2 fan sites is because I wanted to learn something about Bono, and I learned a little about the other members as a residual effect.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't know band members names for bands they like. I found out the other day that while my dad likes The Clash, he didn't know the name Joe Strummer. Some people are more interested in JUST the music and don't care or bother to get into any other details.

Bonochick said:
A lot of people don't know band members names for bands they like. I found out the other day that while my dad likes The Clash, he didn't know the name Joe Strummer. Some people are more interested in JUST the music and don't care or bother to get into any other details.

I agree. That's me. Even though, like I said, I did grow to appreciate Bono. I did become interested in him at the last concert I went to. Now, I consider him as a sort of soulmate. I "click" with him. Yet another confession.

Last edited:
interesting definition of a fan!

if not a fan...what would you consider yourself? Is there an alternate word you use?

zoney! said:
interesting definition of a fan!

if not a fan...what would you consider yourself? Is there an alternate word you use?

I really like these questions. If not a fan...what would I consider myself? Good question. Ummm, well...I know what I'd consider myself but that's a confession I don't know if I'm willing to give (it's gotten me into hot water on another U2 site in the past - long ago). At the risk of people calling me a number of names...I consider myself a friend. Not an official friend, but a friend in the making.:lol: Yeah. The alternate word I use for myself is friend, because that's how I feel.

I really have been very hard on U2 fans in the past. Still call them freaky fans :) People on another U2 site, after 2 1/2 years, have gotten use to me by now.

I think there are degrees of fans...and I often find that Bono fans who post on a fan site fall into the category of "freaky fan." :lmao: And, before you get mad at me, I'm not the only one who has said so. Even Bono himself has said that PLEBA girls are "scary.":lmao:

I just have a different way of looking at the world.:lmao:

Soul Always said:
Even Bono himself has said that PLEBA girls are "scary.":lmao:

I find that pretty humorous too. And PLEBANs take a lot of pride in being called freaky. :shrug:

There are different degrees to "fandom" - and it is alright to call yourself a "fan" of a band.

I realize that you probably have developed a negative view of the term "fan" becaue of your experiences on the Internet here. You are not alone. Trust me on that. There are quite a few of us who feel the same way.

Fan is not necessarily a bad word....and it is alright to use it. I understand where you are coming from though. U2 has some great music...and Bono is an amazing person. You can be a fan and not get caught up in all the stuff that happens on band message boards.

Heh, when I saw my first U2 video (where the streets have no name) I thought the guitar player's name was Adam Clayton and that the bass player was called The Edge.

I'd say if you like a band's music, you are a fan, in a way. To me, fandom would be: buying their albums, going to their live shows, having their posters etc... any/all of those things.

Next level is probably what most of people here are doing: collecting rarities, B-sides, getting bootlegs, going to online forums, travelling to their studios in Dublin...

The extreme, to me, would be fans who stock the band (you know. ambush them at their homes) or follow them up on several shows, always sitting in the first orw(s). Freaky stuff.

zoney! said:

I find that pretty humorous too. And PLEBANs take a lot of pride in being called freaky. :shrug:

There are different degrees to "fandom" - and it is alright to call yourself a "fan" of a band.

I realize that you probably have developed a negative view of the term "fan" becaue of your experiences on the Internet here. You are not alone. Trust me on that. There are quite a few of us who feel the same way.

Fan is not necessarily a bad word....and it is alright to use it. I understand where you are coming from though. U2 has some great music...and Bono is an amazing person. You can be a fan and not get caught up in all the stuff that happens on band message boards.

:lol: Well, then they should like me. But, instead, Bono fans never have (I don't know if it applies to other members' most loyal fans, but Bono fans are ravenous.)

I am a "fan" of their music, very much so. But, I'm not particularly a fan of the band specifically. I appreciate what they do and how they are. I believe they're better than any other band out there as far as their attitudes, etc. But as being a fan of the four guys. I don't know. I would never stand in line for an autograph. I would, however, tell them how much I appreciate them. I wouldn't even ever take a mecca to Ireland to see them.

I am a fan of their music and that led me to get to know Bono. I was really blind to him until the last concert I saw, and then I saw what a great guy he is. But, honestly, if Bono were not a member of U2 I probably wouldn't give a care about the rest of the group.

I am probably offending people left and right here.

I'm glad to see that there are others who don't get caught up in all the things that go on on an Internet U2 fan site. It is good to know, and very refreshing, believe me.

Yeah, I think I have formed my negative opinion of fans because of my experiences on the Internet. I have never experienced fans in real life. Sure, people sitting or standing next to me at a U2 concert...but perhaps I have never really gotten a taste at a U2 concert because, out of no fault of my own, I have always been in the nosebleeds at a U2 concert, and those people up there, as some may know, are a lot more lackadaisacal about the group, which, come to find out...suits me just fine.

I get closer, like for a Coldplay concert, and I get irritated at the fans.:lol:

I'm really not into fanatics at all.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Heh, when I saw my first U2 video (where the streets have no name) I thought the guitar player's name was Adam Clayton and that the bass player was called The Edge.

I'd say if you like a band's music, you are a fan, in a way. To me, fandom would be: buying their albums, going to their live shows, having their posters etc... any/all of those things.

Next level is probably what most of people here are doing: collecting rarities, B-sides, getting bootlegs, going to online forums, travelling to their studios in Dublin...

The extreme, to me, would be fans who stock the band (you know. ambush them at their homes) or follow them up on several shows, always sitting in the first orw(s). Freaky stuff.

I like your levels U2girl. I agree with them.

I am definitely the first level you mentioned. I go to their concerts, I buy their music (though I have bought all their singles -etc...like I said, I'm a fan of their music). I have bought one poster of Bono at Wembley stadium because it's classic, and I framed it. I have only one mag and I wish I hadn't bought it.

I have known many on the middle level you mention, and I have known personally the extreme, and believe me, the extreme truly are the ones who jaded me about U2 fans.:no: I'm shaking my head because I still can't believe what they've told me they've done, and are willing to do.

Oh, I won't get into it. It makes me too:mad:

Oh, and they're so sensitive!!! I said that because I had visions of someone from PLEBA coming in and crucifying me again.

Last edited:
Soul Always said:

the extreme truly are the ones who jaded me about U2 fans.:no: I'm shaking my head because I still can't believe what they've told me they've done, and are willing to do.

Oh, I won't get into it. It makes me too:mad:

Oh, and they're so sensitive!!! I said that because I had visions of someone from PLEBA coming in and crucifying me again.

:lol:

BTW, you're not alone in feeling this way!

no one mentioned the groups of fans that attempt to gain credibility by claiming the band 'sold out'.

i hate those people. there's no arguement or backing opinions, they just get on the internet and whine about how they were sooooo much better on the first album. and then you see them all at the shows anyway, and they're having a good time.

this can't be a uniquely punk rock or indie rock thing, u2 have been around long enough that they've got to have these types of fans. they own all the albums but claim that u2 have sucked since achtung baby.

IWasBored said:
no one mentioned the groups of fans that attempt to gain credibility by claiming the band 'sold out'.

i hate those people. there's no arguement or backing opinions, they just get on the internet and whine about how they were sooooo much better on the first album. and then you see them all at the shows anyway, and they're having a good time.

this can't be a uniquely punk rock or indie rock thing, u2 have been around long enough that they've got to have these types of fans. they own all the albums but claim that u2 have sucked since achtung baby.

True. It's hard to deal with fickle fans, too.

I have a hard time with the ones who say that they won't like the band anymore if they don't put out an album that meets their expectations, and they already have a long list of those expectations.:sigh: I just listen to the music, and enjoy what they make and appreciate what they make.

zoney! said:
IWB has sold out! :mad:

shh! it's just a distro deal with a major! i still pledge my loyalty to hell cat!!

oh wait, that's rancid, not me.

:wink:

U2girl said:

I don't think people collecting rarities and B-sides is too bad, some ppl might just like some of the more rare stuff and still not know anything about U2.

I agree with the "stalking" thing though, it is something I really can't comprehend, I live 2 hours away from Dublin, I still don't feel compelled to go to see U2, when I go to Dublin it is for the shopping. I just dont understand why some people feel like they really need to come here just to try and meet the band.

Lara Mullen said:

I don't think people collecting rarities and B-sides is too bad, some ppl might just like some of the more rare stuff and still not know anything about U2.

I agree with the "stalking" thing though, it is something I really can't comprehend, I live 2 hours away from Dublin, I still don't feel compelled to go to see U2, when I go to Dublin it is for the shopping. I just dont understand why some people feel like they really need to come here just to try and meet the band.

Good for you!:up: I have always said that I won't meet them unless I meet them here, in my hometown...and I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, even then. If I found a chance that was a decent thing to do I'd do it. Like, passing them on the street or something. THEN I'd say "hi."

I agree with you on the collecting of rarities. I don't think that's a mid-level thing either, since I do it. I just like the more rare stuff...like you said. I just want ALL U2's music.:cool:

I don't think I ever want to meet them, if I really did I could have jumped on a bus and done it already. :up:

Lara Mullen said:
I don't think I ever want to meet them, if I really did I could have jumped on a bus and done it already. :up:
Yes, you could have. So, you've come to the conclusion that it's because you don't want to ever meet them.

I can understand that with, let's say, any "stars" who live around where I live, whatever they may be, like sports, etc. I just don't take the time, bother, to meet them. Sometimes I may accidentally run into them in a store or something, but even then I usually give them their space, and won't even look at them much because I just think that's rude to stare.:lmao:

This is one of those issues where both sides bother me and I don't understand why it matters to anyone what someone else does or wants to do. I have a U2 tattoo, but I still have one of the albums (I don't even remember which one at the moment...) and the first Best Of on CDR and I only have two singles. I went to four shows on the Elevation tour, but I never keep up with U2 news or look at pictures online (though I will buy a magazine if there's a feature on U2). I'm more obsessed with another band -- I collect all the singles in every format, have seen them more times than I probably should admit, and met my fiance on their message board -- but even then I don't worship them and can laugh when my fiance teases me about them or criticizes one of their songs.

I personally wouldn't write a fanfic or move to Dublin just because of U2 and spend everyday at the studios, but I really couldn't care less if someone else does that. It doesn't make them crazy, nor does it make them a better fan than me. Just because I don't understand it doesn't make it weird or 'freaky' or whatever. I don't like American football and cannot comprehend why people get such enjoyment from watching overpaid men run around in matching outfits with huge amounts of padding, bumping into each other, and stopping every two seconds, but that doesn't mean I think football fans are freaks.

By the same token, though, I think fans who are that type should be a little less defensive and just accept the fact that not every fan has to be the same way, and it doesn't make the people who only have one U2 album or don't like Bono's nose inferior fans.

Anyway, the only time I get annoyed by fans is when they do things like invade the band's personal space or harrass them or their management or are rude to other fans, knocking them out of the way so they can get their 1,000th autograph from Bono. If someone wants to meet Bono 1,000 times and patiently waits for other fans to have their first chance to meet him, though, then good for them. :shrug:

Yep. :)
tattoomegan.jpg

I have a friend who has Bono's actual signature as a tattoo on her stomach. Bono put it there.:wink:

I think I am biased cause i grew up in an enviornment in a small town where my family heavily into politics and business etc everyone new our business and new to much of our business but that was a trade off I didnt want to make...

I confess I came to like U2 because of Bono and moreover his humanitarian involvement
When I was in Toronto at a convention Bono was at I was across the street and all of the sudden he came out of the centre and there was about a stampede of 6 -8 women and I dont exagerate when I say stampede.. I was worried they wouldnt stop and knock Bono over.. I just kinda watched as he gave it about 30 seconds and went back inside.. Sure I would have liked to meet him but it was an experience just to be in the same room and listen to the man speak and work his magic..

All fans are different just because I am one type and someone else is another make it any better or worse . I still would like to meet Bono and love to chat with him about our similar interests but if it doesnt happen well..thats okay too

Hmmmm. Well by these standards I am pretty much a fanatic then. When I saw my first U2 concert (JT), I didn't know any of their names either, and I only knew one song. It was just like there was an inner force compelling me to see them! Since then, I have been a fan (and I do mean FAN) for over half my life. I have dozens of audio/video bootlegs from 17 years of trading, and every official release and B side ever released. Some people collect stamps, I collect U2. :shrug:

Regarding stalking, I am of mixed views on this. Had I not sat at their hotel that day for 4 hours, I never would have had coffee w. Bono, one of the greatest experiences of my life. But I feel that was in my home town, and I would never have been pushy about it or bothered him. Because of his generous spirit, he came to us.

I feel I have had my "u2 moment" now, and feel that going to the studio or their houses again and again and again is an abuse of their good nature and generosity...it's downright greedy and might ruin chances for other people. That's just me though.

Also, on the topic of Pleba...I wrote a fanfic series for my friends on Pleba because I love creative writing, U2 and my friends and it was a fun way of meshing them. My stories were a bit TOO steamy, and I was told to tone them down....I haven't got around to finishing the series. Anyway, although I still think U2 is gorgeous and Pleba is THE place to get pics, I don't consider myself to be an insane, derranged fanatic. Maybe other people do though.....:uhoh:

When I was 16 and found out the Edge was married, I cried like I had never cried before. Fortunately, I still managed to turn out to be a reasonably well rounded, mature person! :lol:

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:

When I was 16 and found out the Edge was married, I cried like I had never cried before. Fortunately, I still managed to turn out to be a reasonably well rounded, mature person! :lol:

I was 14 when I found out that Bono was married, therefore leading me to be more into Larry, lol... I, too, cried like I had never cried before, but thankfully I got through that difficult time and am now a fanatic in the sanest sense of the word. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom