I Want to Confess Something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think i'm too big on meeting bands, either. i would have harrassed ken casey (dropkick murphys) at the warped tour when he walked by, and i didn't. or in boston before the show when al barr (still DKM) walked by us on the sidewalk. i'd have joined the people outside waiting at the mullins center for barenaked ladies to come outside after the show, not into doing that either. i don't really have anything to say to them other than 'duuuuude i really like yer music'.

I confess, I love meeting bands, but only in small venues when not much effort is involved. I've been very lucky when it comes to meeting people, but I've never stalked or anything like that. You're right, IWB - it's really hard to think of something to say.

IWasBored said:
i don't really have anything to say to them other than 'duuuuude i really like yer music'.

When Ryan Adams called me, I ended up gushing about how amazing his music is...then I stopped and said that that probably sounded really stupid because he must hear it all the time. He said, "No, it's always nice to hear that." :love:

He could have just been humoring me...but either way...:wink:

HelloAngel said:
I confess, I love meeting bands, but only in small venues when not much effort is involved. I've been very lucky when it comes to meeting people, but I've never stalked or anything like that. You're right, IWB - it's really hard to think of something to say.

:yes:

I never 'followed' the band until the Elevation tour. I followed them, but I didn't follow them around. I was a fan since 1981, but was never a concert person. I hated crowds after a few bad experiences where I was nearly trampled. I was too timid and intimidated to ever even think of facing the band. But when ATYCLB came out and I realized how much this band meant to me, I knew I had to get close to them. I went to 7 yes 7 shows :reject: and was in GA in 5 of those and within touching distance 3 times. I did touch Bono, and he jumped right on top of me during UTEOTW once. I had some minor contact, but never met them. I hung around outside the arenas for hours on rumors that the band was still there, but they weren't. I even tried a hotel once. I put out a lot of money and still felt unfulfilled. I actually cried after my last show knowing I had not met them. It had never been important before but after all that time suddenly it was.

I know there are those who would make fun of this story. I know those who have gone much further and paid much more money than me, people who HAD to meet them or die, and did. One friend I went to my last concert with and to the hotel with was so driven she did go to Dublin and did meet Bono. Last I heard she was living there. There are also those who would say that is extreme.

But you know what? Really none of us know what anybody else feels in their heart, and no one should be made fun of for being too much or too little of a fan. No one should laugh at anyone else or look down on them because their level of fandom is 'better' than someone else's.

You know what gets me is ppl who are obsessed fans but keep denying it. Like the ones who say they are only moving to Dublin because it's a lovely city and they aren't going to chase U2. Sure and monkeys might fly outa my ass. Stalk if you must but own up to it, you're not the only one!

Last edited:
Tabby said:
You know what gets me is ppl who are obsessed fans but keep denying it. Like the ones who say they are only moving to Dublin because it's a lovely city and they aren't going to chase U2. Sure and monkeys might fly outa my ass. Stalk if you must but own up to it, you're not the only one!

I've known people like that. I would get angry at them, I'd say they were stalkers, I'd say that what they were doing was uncool, but they'd just say, "I'm just an innocent fan, doing no harm. I don't bother them. They love me." Baloney.

IWasBored said:

this can't be a uniquely punk rock or indie rock thing, u2 have been around long enough that they've got to have these types of fans. they own all the albums but claim that u2 have sucked since achtung baby.

A friend of mine thought they'd sucked since The Joshua Tree, he thought Achtung was their sell-out album and told me never to buy it...

Tabby said:

:lol:

You know, I'm sure people think that about me - I'm moving to Ireland next month.

But the thing is, for me it IS because it's a lovely place. I've wanted to live there since the first time I went to Ireland, which was several years before I became a U2 fan. :D

And I have no intention of hanging around outside the studios. I've been there once, with Flavia (Niamh_Saiorse) and it was fun. but the other times I went to Dublin, I didn't go to the studios. I wouldn't know what to say to them anyway! I'd be like ":der: Hello........I'm Lu. How are you?" Then I'd just want to sink into the floor or disappear cos I wouldn't have a clue what to say.

:D

Meggie stole my tattoo :angry:

suitcasetattoo.jpg

Uh oh, I'm one of those fans who dropped off the active U2 bandwagon a long time ago... the last U2 recording I bought was Rattle & Hum.... I think in many ways I overdosed on them -- I was pretty obsessive, even though I never saw them live (still haven't) and didn't do anything approaching stalking. Nevertheless, I found my interest in the band waning -- their newer music was no longer compelling to me and their overt social activism (I guess that is mostly Bono's) was more off-putting than intriguing for me.

Heresy, I know! But what that taught me is that for me it is much better to grow into the music and the band slowly, having the music become a part of me before I find out too much about the individuals. So the next time a band really caught my attention I took it much more slowly, focusing on their music only.

I was a fan of the music of the band The Church for something like 12 years before I knew anything more than their names (well, I knew whatever information was on the cassette versions of three of their albums -- which wasn't that much at all). I never read articles about them or reviews of their work. I didn't even knew which face went with which face until fairly recently when I googled the band. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed their music when I knew nothing about them, but I enjoy it even more now that I know how interesting, intelligent, and funny they all are.

I now find the band members very interesting people, and I enjoy reading/hearing interviews with them. I have all their studio albums (not all the compilations or singles though) and several bootlegs of live shows (but don't feel at all compelled to get every show they have ever done). I finally got to see them perform live this year (saw them five times!), and got to meet and chat with the lead singer for some time after one of the shows (he also paints and I have purchased some of his paintings, so that's what we talked about).

Umm... so I guess what I was really trying to say in the above blather is that however you enjoy a band is ok (unless it is damaging to your life of infringes on the lives of the band members or their families), and don't worry about anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom