I told a lie and now I have to fess up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Here's what happened:

A few years ago, I borrowed a bike from my stepmother. I kept it on campus at the college I attend in town. Well, now I'm graduating and she wants the bike back.

Problem: At some point, maybe two years ago or so, the bike was stolen. I assume, at least, that that's what happened. I never told her this, and anytime she asked about it I got so scared to tell her that it was (probably) stolen that I would just lie and say it was still at school.

So now I need to come clean and tell her I don't know what happened to the bike. I did get a gift certificate for a local bike shop so she can get a new one. But I'm worried that the original bike had, like, some sentimental value or something. And needless to say I'm not looking forward to admitting that I've been fibbing for about 2 years.

:(

just apologize for lying and explain that you felt really bad about it. she can't get too upset if it isn't even your fault, right?

I know. I'm just really scared. I've gone through a lot of changes in the past couple of years and I'm not as much of the chickenshit that I used to be. If this happened today, I'd have told her right off and just promised to replace it when I had the money.

This is one of the last holdovers I have from a way of life I don't want to be a part of anymore: cowardly, false, etc. I'm just a little afraid of the consequences of coming clean. I need a little pluck today.

I told my fiance a lie yesterday :shame: I told him that the cellphone that I bought yesterday only cost $100 when it really cost $140 :huh: I came clean tho and he was glad that I did.

:up: one of the biggest strains on a marriage is finances. If both parties are on the same page, however, they can make it through the tough times.

Stories for Boys said:
just apologize for lying and explain that you felt really bad about it. she can't get too upset if it isn't even your fault, right?

I agree.

Well, two ways to do this...compound your problem with another lie which will lead to a third and forth...

Or, give the step- the old "I've got good news and I've got bad news....let her pick!"

By the way, I choose #2... :)

I would tell her it was stolen but not tell her how long ago. If she knows how long ago it was she might get even madder. Sometimes you think that honesty is the best policy and people will respect that more, but sometimes it only sinks you deeper and you stand wondering why. Or you could pretend you didn't notice at all, then when she asks for it, go, oh no, it's gone!

nbcrusader said:
It only hurts before you confess....

So true

If you are worried about confessing in person what about sending an email/letter or making a phone call. If you want to apologize in person or on the phone - practise what you want to say before you say it.

Back
Top Bottom