i thought i had passed through my quarter-life crisis... :rolleyes:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkayet

New Yorker
Ok, so does anyone find that when you hit 25, outlooks on things start deteriorating? I know it sounds ridiculous, but i've found that i've become far more self-destructive, depressed far more often, and just generally bleh lately. The thing is, I also feel happy at the same time. I'm really lucky actually and in theory have little to complain about. It's wierd. I'm just far less stable. :huh: (keep in mind, i'm NOT totally losing it, no worries! ;) ). I made it through college and the first couple years after fine though. I guess it's like a revolution, you know, they don't occur when things are getting worse or are bad - they usually start when things are improving or are pretty good. Then the other side is weaker. Something's revolting here. Maybe i should start one of those journaly things instead of making everyone read this. :reject:

I think we all go through the same thing at various points in our life. It may be that we set certain expectations (i.e., life after collage) and when they don't materialize like we expected, we can face depression. Continual life re-examination helps.

Better things are in store for you.....

heck, i've been in quarter-life crisis since I was 14 and still at it...

14 x 4.... hmm... must mean I'd have a short life span

weird....my post just posted itself

jkayet said:
i'm NOT totally losing it

....are you SURE about that? :scratch:
propeller.gif

;)

Last edited:
I totally know what you mean. I am going through it right now. Unfortunately... I am a little more passed "quarter" life than you. :|

It's tough, because sure we are happy... blah blah blah... but I guess it's like Bono says 'I still haven't found what I am looking for.' Ok, that was cheesy, but it's so true.
When I was younger, I had preconceived ideas as to what life would be like at 28, and you know what? I am not married with children or in a good job. I am single, childless (which is ok) and still struggling to find my place in the professional world. I dunno what it all means. I guess if we don't give up, we'll find it eventually, but have to go through the emotions to succeed.
Life is harder I believe, than when our parents were our age. there are less opportunities, and more opportunities all at the same time. We are more free and able to do and go where we want, but that's when it gets confusing. Not sound spoiled.... but there almost too many choices.
The competition is higher, and therefore so must be our education to an extent.
It's a struggle everyday to find true happiness... even when everything on the surface seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Angel said:
When I was younger, I had preconceived ideas as to what life would be like at 28, and you know what? I am not married with children or in a good job. I am single, childless (which is ok) and still struggling to find my place in the professional world. I dunno what it all means. I guess if we don't give up, we'll find it eventually, but have to go through the emotions to succeed.
Life is harder I believe, than when our parents were our age. there are less opportunities, and more opportunities all at the same time. We are more free and able to do and go where we want, but that's when it gets confusing. Not sound spoiled.... but there almost too many choices.
The competition is higher, and therefore so must be our education to an extent.
It's a struggle everyday to find true happiness... even when everything on the surface seems to be fine.

I totally agree with you. I, OTOH, amm turning 30 in March, my career has been derailed and is going nowhere unless I absolutely make a big change like go back to school or something (it's so damn competitive here), I'm still single and yes, I realized (duh) that I have a lot of issues. :crazy: It's funny, 'cause a lot of the people I meet think I'm all outgoing and happy, etc., etc.

Inspite of all these, I still feel that my life is better than before. I'm learning a lot of things...I guess that's one of, if not the only thing I like about getting old.

So Jenn, I think that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. You're actually lucky that things are going well for you as far as career or studies are concerned. The rest (personal stuff, I guess) will come. I myself am tired of waiting for something radical or for a big change to happen in my life, but I guess that's the only thing left to do. Wait. And wait patiently. In the meantime, try to enjoy everything life has to offer. Did I make sense? :scratch:

I feel so mature being nearly 18 it feels like such a huge jump from 17

I will be voting this year :ohmy:

Yeah, i totally get what you mean, shiela. People also see me as really happy, etc too most of the time. Anyway, good advice. :) I guess we do just wait it out, and complain in the meantime. ;) :hug:

Salvador said:
hiya jenn don wury bingy ken b ur conslut he givs gud advys jus aks meggie :up:
Thanks, salvador, I'll chat with Bingy about it although his advice might be a bit too radical for me. ;)

Whoa -
I am 30 and my life derailed BIG time over the past year.

Don't look at it as a quarter-life crisis. Think of it as part of life. If we do not get derailed, or continue to re-evaluate our live constantly - life would be boring.

Jenn, and Dizzy, and all others.....LIVE LIFE YOUNG.

Angel and dizzy: I?m exactly where you are.

I know i will find what I?m looking for, but don?t ask me what it is, especially when I think of what to do, what to do, how to make wishes come true, how to chosse the right thing that will give me personal satisfaction, thinking of competition, of all of the bucks blown by the wind...

I guess I am content somehow, because I learn a lot. Its just that the effects are coming far too slow, and life is moving at a fast pace, so we are constantly stressed.

Do I make any sense? Just kill me. ;)

zonelistener said:
Jenn, and Dizzy, and all others.....LIVE LIFE YOUNG.
Thanks. :) Yeah, it's odd...i guess i am doing that because i'm happier, yet simultaneously sadder than I've been in a while. Everything is just amplified. And I feel like this year is flying by :no: yet I also feel so stuck because I have no idea what i want to do or where i'm going. Ah, well. :huh: Ah, well, I suppose everyone gets this way, it's just disconcerting at times. I'm sure we'll all figure it out. :hug:

jkayet said:
Yeah, it's odd...i guess i am doing that because i'm happier, yet simultaneously sadder than I've been in a while.

You just nailed it. That's exactly how I feel. :yes:

Zonelistener...you're right, life would be utterly boring without the 'derailment'. Hiphop, I agree...the effects coming in at a slow pace, while life moves so quickly.

Thanks everyone. :)

Salvador said:
hiya jenn don wury bingy ken b ur conslut he givs gud advys jus aks meggie :up:

anh;dljkfha defhao;siefh aopwe4a4etfoasegdjk iosdhfaiodfh gyb e

:angry:

jkayet said:
Ok, so does anyone find that when you hit 25, outlooks on things start deteriorating?

I'm turning 28 next week!!! :eeklaugh:

Yes actually I think there is such a thing as a quarter-life crisis, but I think it's perfectly normal. I think U2 went through it with Achtung Baby-they were 27 at that time I do believe but look, that's when they did their best work! I think this is the age where you realize hey, I'm not gonna live forever. When you're young you feel almost indestructible. Then you start reaching 30 and you think "Man, I'm starting to get old." and you start evaluating where you are, whether you've made progress or whether you need to change direction in your life.

For me, I've have the same job since college and while I do like it, I feel I need to do something new. I told myself if I didn't advance after 5 years I would be outta here. But, it's been 5 years and I'm still here. I would really like to start my own business.

I think the quarter-life crisis kind of shoots your youthful optimism in the foot but it also motivates you to get out there and do something. At least that's what it did for me!! Don't worry we've all been there! :)

Sidetrack

HeartlandSoul said:

I think U2 went through it with Achtung Baby-they were 27 at that time I do believe but look, that's when they did their best work!

Oh yeah, they were only 27 then! Geez. Hehe, it's not like I'm gonna pull of an AB here. :laugh:

But good point, Heartland.

Re: Sidetrack

dizzy said:

Oh yeah, they were only 27 then! Geez. Hehe, it's not like I'm gonna pull of an AB here. :laugh:
:lol: We can hope!! ;)

Yeah, i've discovered that this directionless, frustrating mentality is just made worse when you think you find something that you truly love to do, because then it just seems impossible so you end up resigning yourself to the fact that you probably will have to do so-so jobs/study/etc forever. :rolleyes: Sorry, i'm usually optimistic, i swear!
Anyway, the other night i went to a concert and was SO happy, just watching it. Even though I have been happier, yet simultaneously sadder than ever lately, this took the happiness to a new high. So then I started to wonder if maybe I haven't really been happy. :huh: Anyhow, yeah, I'm rambling now... :silent: :banghead:

i so know where your coming from. i'm turning 25 next month and i'm so lost. i graduated in 2001 with a degree in kinesiology but i can't really do anything with it. all the jobs i look at pay less then the jobs i'm doing now.

it's weird....i have 2 jobs (1 clerical and one is an technologist in an ortho clinic) and i'm not sure if that's what i want to do with my life. when i went to university i never expected that when i got out that i would spend 60% of my time behind a computer doing data entry type work. :sigh:

but then when i think about it...if i wasn't doing this what would i want to do? and the answer i keep getting is a resounding I DON'T KNOW. its so frusterating. i want to do something else but i don't know what to do. i want to move to somewhere else and experience a different place for a while but i'm too scared.

i'm stuck in a rut with no where to go. :|

Back
Top Bottom