I think I'm having a nervous breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I woke up today and I felt like my world was caving in all around me. I've never felt like this before. I can't find a job. I think I was just denied unemployment money....long story. I have applied to so many places I can't even keep track anymore. I've only had a few interviews out of all of the places I've applied to. I was supposed to hear back today from two places and I haven't. If I am denied unemployment I don't know what I'm supposed to do about paying my bills. I have too many bills and zero money to my name. My parents can't help me out. I don't even know how to look for a job anymore. I've been out of work off and on for so long that I don't know where to even look for a job anymore. I'm very frustrated and the silence of the phones not ringing at all is killing me. The idea of taking another temp job or retail job just to get by makes me sick to my stomach. I can't do that anymore. I feel like my degree is worthless. I just don't understand why I can't find a job. I don't know what sort of job I'm even supposed to look for or where I'm supposed to look. I'm very stressed and I don't know what to do about it.

I am so sorry :( I understand because I'm near one myself. So there's nothing I can do to help anyone else because I can't even help myself. But I care a whole lot and wish you the very best :hug: :hug: :hug:

why can't you take a retail job? I don't understand, if money is that tight I would be willing to take whatever I can get until I find something that suits me.

Last edited:
I know I can't say anything that can help you guys, other than to say I'm glad you have ZC here so that we can be here for you when you need ppl to listen. Hang in there. :hug:

That sounds really rough; I'm so sorry. It's so easy to feel yourself being pulled under at times. I've been there too.

You've probably done this, but have you tried an employment counselling centre? They often have workshops on networking, tapping into the hidden job market, improving interview skills, building confidence, etc. Is relocating an option?

hang in there. i know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

i would love to be able to give you some advice that would help you out but i'm fresh out cause i don't even know how to fix my own life.

good luck and best wishes. :hug:

:hug:

Is it possible to be a bit more aggressive? Like, could you call everyone back instead of waiting for them to call? We watched a video in one of my business classes and the people doing the hiring said that one of the most important things is for interviewees to call back and follow up. I know it sounds dumb, but for some reason a lot of companies like it when you press the issue and show a continued interest. The video suggested things like when you turn in the app, ask to schedule an interview right away. Or after you interview, ask for a date for them to call you back by, or ask when you should call them back to follow up. They also suggested sending thank you cards after interviews.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Is it possible to be a bit more aggressive? Like, could you call everyone back instead of waiting for them to call? We watched a video in one of my business classes and the people doing the hiring said that one of the most important things is for interviewees to call back and follow up. I know it sounds dumb, but for some reason a lot of companies like it when you press the issue and show a continued interest. The video suggested things like when you turn in the app, ask to schedule an interview right away. Or after you interview, ask for a date for them to call you back by, or ask when you should call them back to follow up. They also suggested sending thank you cards after interviews.

I do all of that. I've been looking for work off and on for 4 years. I've been to tons of employment agencies, seminars, classes, job fairs, counselors. I have cover letters, resumes, thank you letters, and follow up emails all set up that all I have to do is insert the companies name or the specific person and send it out. The reason I was waiting for these places specifically today was because I asked them for a date in my interviews. I feel like I've done everything I've been told to do about getting a job and I just never get one.

I keep taking retail or temp jobs just to get by for a while but it just gets frustrating when I take the jobs thinking it'll only be for a few weeks until I find something else and then I don't find that something else. I stayed at a temp job for an entire year and the whole time I was constantly looking for a full time job. That company had a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me when I worked there. In fact, they are one of the places I'm waiting to hear back from today. There's a position open in the department I worked in but they were giving me the run around for a while and they already turned me down from a job once last year when they were finally able to hire again. They keep telling me how I'm a hard worker and have a great attitude, that I catch on quickly and get my job done but they just never hire me.

Part of my problem today is the unemployment money issue. My brother thinks the little incident that happened will not affect it. It's such a long story and I'd rather not get into it here but I will have a much easier time in life when I find out if I am getting the money or not.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Is it possible to be a bit more aggressive? Like, could you call everyone back instead of waiting for them to call?

It's also possible to be too aggressive. I interview and hire people frequently as part of my job. A restrained thank you note can be a nice, thoughtful idea, but I admit I don't like to be pestered by follow-up phone calls. We always tell interviewees when we will call back, and we make a point of honouring that, even for the unsuccessful candidates. If I receive a call from a candidate the day after an intervew, I feel I'm being put on the spot, especially if no decision has been made.

Anyway, once again good luck to you. I hope you at least get your unemployment money problem sorted out soon. It's often even worse dealing with the government.:(

I have a degree in literature. I don't want to teach or write....that's usually the next question people ask me when I tell them what I majored in. So now I'm sure you are wondering why I majored in literature....

Basically I was without direction in school and I had a lit professor that I absolutely loved. I hated my advisor and I mentioned it to this professor and she said she was an advisor as well and I could switch to her if I wanted to. So with her help I ended up at least getting a degree plan mapped out for my general stuff but not for a degree. Since I enjoyed the first class I had with her so much I ended up taking a ton of other lit classes and the next thing I knew I had a degree in literature. Now I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I'm sorry. :(

Would you consider relocating if the job was right? Check out www.craigslist.org for job listings, if you haven't already. I wish I had something more profound to say. :hug:

arw9797 said:

I do all of that.

in my experience, that means it will work out. eventually.
i know those words are of 0 comfort right now. in fact, they are probably a nuisance as you've probably heard them before. but experience bears repeating it.

keep at it...you're doing the right things, and you'll get something sooner or later...for now you just need to hang on and get by...

Try and keep the two things seperate arw. You are only reacting to the stress, it isn't you losing your mind. Unemployment is one of the hardest things to go through because there is zero predictability and absolutely no way of keeping these opportunities in control - it is ALL in the hands of others. On the job front, you are doing all you can. Your problem to focus on now is coping with the situation. I spent the last few years going through what you are, periods of no work, temping at so many different places that honestly I would end up going out for the day and drive past at least one previous employer. It was insane and such a bad way to get by. Stability is so much and we can't see that until we dont have it. Anyway I wont ramble on with my own story as that will be of no help to you at all.
You have to take care of yourself though in the meantime.

i am sort of in the same situation right now as well. although it has not gone on as long I certainly feel for you.

Have you thought about work as a copy writer? Something like that might be a position where you could put your degree to work for you until you figure out exactly what you want to do.

I think I at least figured out my unemployment problem. I called an annoymous help desk through the unemployment office. I still might have to go through a ton of crap to get it but I should at least get something.

I still feel like crap even though I have that issue somewhat out of the way. I can't focus on anything. My brother and sister have both been on the job hunt a lot in recent years so they have both been sending me jobs through job boards to look at. It's not like I can't look myself but I just can't right now...if that makes any sense. It all looks like a big blur. Neither one of the places that said they'd get back to me this week have yet. I emailed one place and I'm going to call the other place tomorrow. The first place I have a feeling it's no. It's the place that I worked at as a temp and then didn't hire me last year when they had the chance. The second place I haven't even had a real interview. I just filled out an application a briefly talked to the person in charge. If I wasn't out of work for 4 months last year I don't think this would be affecting me as much as it is right now. But I know what I went through last year, and the year before for 2 months, and it isn't any fun.

When I found out about the layoff at my last job one of my coworkers said to me "What's worse than working? NOT working." He was so right. It sucks :(

hey ARW -

Have you checked out the Minnesota Workforce Centers?

From the time I was laid off, until RIGHT before I moved down here, I would visit the centersat least once a week. After you do an orientation session, they have a lot of good resources. They are all over the Cities. I would say...check one out (if you haven't). It is a great resource.

Dont feel so bad about missing out on jobs. Last year I went for a job and missed out. I couldnt work out why as I had all the right qualifications and I got on like a house on fire with the potentional new boss - to the point where my colleageus where asking if I was having an affair with her. :|

Turns out I came second. I wasnt crap, just someone else was better than me and unfortunately with jobs there can be only one winner.

What Im trying to say is you may well be doing all the right things but are just being pipped at the post by someone else marginally better.

Hang in there. Your time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom