I take my father for granted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2SavesTheWorld said:
A bit of advice: try really hard not to do it.

My dad was my best friend. No doubt about it. He knew it, I knew it, and my mom knew it.

The first week of August this past year my parents decided to spend March in Madrid. They asked me if I wanted to join them. I said yes and promptly bought my plane ticket.
August 14th in the evening my dad called me and told me that he had decided to surprise me by paying for my plane ticket for me and that he had a check made out to me to reimburse me because I had already bought the ticket. He then asked me if I would come over that night and get the check. I had other plans so I told him I would buy him lunch the next day and get the check then. I could tell he was disapointed but I still went out anyway.
That was the last conversation I ever had with my father. He died 6 hours later of a massive heart attack in his sleep.

I can identify with you U2STW, and also Like02. My dad was also my best friend. I watched him take his last breathe at the hospital. I know that all 3 of us wish our dads were here with us. I know I do. :sad:

tiny dancer said:

I can identify with you U2STW, and also Like02. My dad was also my best friend. I watched him take his last breathe at the hospital. I know that all 3 of us wish our dads were here with us. I know I do. :sad:

:hug: U2STW & tiny dancer

I was holding my dad's hand when he died. It was a beautiful, sunny morning, he was home with us. After he died, my mom and sister left the room to call his doctor, it was just he and I in there for several minutes. It was really good to see the pain gone. :sad:

I completely understand the complicated relationships we have with our dads...mine was not the best until the last few years of his life. In the end, I loved him and he loved me...that's all that mattered. We made our peace.

He will be gone one year on March 27th :(

Attachments

• dad1.jpg
    dad1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
I completely understand the complicated relationships we have with our dads...mine was not the best until the last few years of his life. In the end, I loved him and he loved me...that's all that mattered. We made our peace.

He will be gone one year on March 27th :(

:hug: :hug:

td

So, I thought a lot about this thread since I read and posted in it yesterday.

I just wanted to add that I truly want to "grow up" to be like my father...meaning.....having raised my kids well. I think it is a sound goal.

Don't want to be depressing, but I don't really talk about this with my family...so.....

My dad died 5 years ago, when I was 20. I'd just started university - just moved out of home. He died suddenly in a walking/falling accident whilst on holiday with my mum. I think I might have taken him for granted whilst he was alive - he was always the provider, although he was quite strict. Because I was relatively young when he died we were only just getting out of the stage where I saw him as the disciplinarian / rule imposer. I wish I had had more of a chance to get to know him as a person, instead of just the father figure (if you get what I mean)

I also wish I could change history so that my mum could not have had to have seen him die. She still has flashbacks.

I'm so sorry - this post is REALLY depressing. But I had to vent. Hope you understand, guys.

Lu
:wave:

bammo2 said:
Don't want to be depressing, but I don't really talk about this with my family...so.....

My dad died 5 years ago, when I was 20. I'd just started university - just moved out of home. He died suddenly in a walking/falling accident whilst on holiday with my mum. I think I might have taken him for granted whilst he was alive - he was always the provider, although he was quite strict. Because I was relatively young when he died we were only just getting out of the stage where I saw him as the disciplinarian / rule imposer. I wish I had had more of a chance to get to know him as a person, instead of just the father figure (if you get what I mean)

I also wish I could change history so that my mum could not have had to have seen him die. She still has flashbacks.

I'm so sorry - this post is REALLY depressing. But I had to vent. Hope you understand, guys.

Lu
:wave:

That's what we're here for Lu. :hug:

i feel bad that this thread sort of became a father-bashing, if you will. god knows i posted my rant in here about him. yeah, i do love my father, and there were some times that he was open to discussion with me about what happened in the past to make him leave. i would love for him to meet his granddaughter one day...im thinking that we're both pretty stubborn in our way of thinking...my mother has pointed that out to me recently...i just wish he would just take the initiative once in a while to contact me. make me feel worth it, you know?

i found a pic of him and me...i'd like to share it
3369546%3B23232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D9%3A6%3D599%3Dxroqdf%3E23233774%3B6%3B96ot1lsi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom