I sold a ticket on ebay - Am I bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt76

Acrobat
.... I don't believe I'm bad.

I figure it I had no option as I needed to make some cash to go and watch them in France, becuase I could not get the tickets I wanted in London!!

Am I bad??

Someone on another thread says that all ebayers should be hunted and killed!!

there are some people who have strong opinions on this. for you to admit you sold a u2 ticket on ebay is very brave of you...so no i dont think your bad. have a great time in france!

Thanks guys, I am thinking of setting up a new thread asking people to own up if they sold tickets on ebay. I think lots of people from interference probably did, it would be good to know I am not the only one... I'm not like a tout/scalper or whatever...

I tried, but I removed the listing b/c I had someone interested on our college staff. Mine was listed for less than face value with Buy It Now EXACTLY face value, so shoot me :shrug:

I just won two tickets on ebay. I was happy to get the tickets, even though I paid a months rent for two tickets, I'm going to the show. I didn't get anything with pre-sale... just the luck of the draw I guess. It's not bad.

i have a friend who just did this, had two nosebleeds and sold them for $250, about a $120 profit from doing nothing.

I had two extras for the DC show and have to admit thought about doing it, but in the end sold them for face.

matt76 said:
[B
Am I bad??

Someone on another thread says that all ebayers should be hunted and killed!! [/B]

Yes! You are a bad, bad man. :mad: The witch hunt is on now, buster!

:wink:

Oh, please, you sold one lousy ticket and probably made someone's day.

There's a big difference in selling a ticket you most likely would have used if you hadn't been able to get better ones and buying a bunch of tickets for the sole purpose of selling them.

Bonochick said:
If you sold it for more than face value + any fees you paid, I think it's bad.

You are right, I am buying them back off the person I sold them to and will sell them at face value..

Thanks for your advice

oh please with this. WHY is it bad to sell them for prices that people are willing to pay? please, give me a real answer. you have a product people want. you decide to make a profit. more power to you, i say. i have an extra GA for the opening night. after reading this, i think i'm going to look into ebay. i wasn't going to, but this irritated me. three hundred extra dollars would set me up real nice down there in san diego. no one is twisting anyone's arms out of their sockets to buy these tickets.

start that thread, matt. i'll proudly post in it.

bonosgirl84 said:
oh please with this. WHY is it bad to sell them for prices that people are willing to pay? please, give me a real answer. you have a product people want. you decide to make a profit. more power to you, i say. i have an extra GA for the opening night. after reading this, i think i'm going to look into ebay. i wasn't going to, but this irritated me. three hundred extra dollars would set me up real nice down there in san diego. no one is twisting anyone's arms out of their sockets to buy these tickets.

Thanks for the support. Potentially it could be a good subject to post, but One of the Moderators or Elvis could potentially shop me to U2, as I did sell a fan club ticket. The problem is that I genuinally cannot go to Dublin now. I know nobody that can go (there are no hotel rooms anyway!) and I have sold it to someone in Dublin who lives there who like you say was prepared to pay the money for it.. I think what I have done is fine the more I think about it. Yeah I've made a profit, big deal..

Shall I just do it anyway.
It would be a good poll to do I think.. I'd sell your ticket too..

bonosgirl84 said:

I guess scalping just seems wrong to me in any form, but you do raise a point in that nobody is being forced to pay such prices. That's the buyer's choice.

Bonochick said:

I guess scalping just seems wrong to me in any form, but you do raise a point in that nobody is being forced to pay such prices. That's the buyer's choice.

It depends on what you term scalping. Selling a couple of tickets on ebay is not scalping or touting as we call it in the UK. Scalping is when you have tens of tickets and are openly selling them to make a profit.. That's scalping, what I did was not..

I'm going to set up the new thread and prepare myself for some abuse

matt76 said:

It depends on what you term scalping. Selling a couple of tickets on ebay is not scalping or touting as we call it in the UK. Scalping is when you have tens of tickets and are openly selling them to make a profit.. That's scalping, what I did was not..

I think it's scalping as soon as you make money, unless the buyer comes to you and explicitly offers above face value. I bought two Chicago GAs above face value b/c I was shut out in all the sales and had no choice. It was a shitty deal, but I'll get over it. Then I bought and extra pair of seats from a fellow fan and offered to pay him slightly above face value since he was doing me such a favor. That's not scalping.

bonosgirl84 said:

So you wouldn't have a problem if it was that U2 charged $300 GA tickets? I mean, I'm sure some people are willing to pay for it. They have a product people want and they decided to make a profit. So why would it be a problem? Or wouldn't it?

Personally, I have a few problems with scalping. One is that you're making money off of a product (the concert) that you had absolutely no part in creating. You're just taking something for which the price was already set by people who DID create it and turning around and selling it for an inflated price. To me, that seems wrong.

Also, while no one is twisting anyone's arm to buy expensive tickets, it means that only fans with a lot of money can buy them. Just because there will always be some rich fan who will be willing to pay exhorbitant prices doesn't make it right to effectively exclude anyone who can't pay $300 for a ticket from the market. Especially when a lower price was already set by the people who are actually putting on the concert.

I don't have any great sympathy for people who pay exhorbitant prices for scalped tickets; it is their choice to buy them. But that doesn't mean whoever sold them is in the right, morally speaking.

matt76 said:

It depends on what you term scalping.

This is one of the definitions for scalping at dictionary.com:

"To resell at a price higher than the established value: scalping tickets to the baseball game."

Quantity really doesn't matter. It's all the same. For an EXTREME example, you can kill a hundred people or kill one person...you're still a murderer.

Bonochick said:

This is one of the definitions for scalping at dictionary.com:

"To resell at a price higher than the established value: scalping tickets to the baseball game."

Quantity really doesn't matter. It's all the same. For an EXTREME example, you can kill a hundred people or kill one person...you're still a murderer.

Jeez, that is a bit of an over the top comment...
Still I am a scalper hurray!!!

There are some right do gooders on this we site, but it makes for some interestting debates...

I don't think you seem to get the point though that i am using the profits from my sale to go and watch U2. I'm not making money to get rich or to rip people off. Would you perhaps say maybe I am a good kind of scalper??

matt76 said:

Jeez, that is a bit of an over the top comment...

Hey, I said it was "EXTREME"! :wink:

I don't care if you're using the money to go watch U2 or to go buy drugs. It doesn't matter what you do with the profit. The action to gain that profit is still that of a scalper. It's not like you're making a business out of it or anything though...I'm not getting down on you personally, I'm just tossing out my two cents, as message board people like to do oh so very much. ;)

jay conseco

but ".....kill a million and you're a conquerer. Go figure."

:lol:

ok ya'll (yes I am southern) here is my opinion (my gosh I am so opinionated)... I bought 2 elevation tickets back in 2001 off ebay from a girl at Notre Dame. I sold them to two friends for face value. I only paid 51 for the two tickets. However, I sold them for face value and paid for my own ticket to the show. .Do I consider that scalping.. no. I consider the bastards that buy 10 to 100 tickets and then resale them for a large mark up. Those guys deserve to have their nuts cut off.. I go to a lot of Georgia Football games, and people are trying to sell them for about 30-50$ more than face value... right in front of the stadium. which I think is bullshit. I am a big believer in Ticket Karma.. IF you treat someone well., i.e. Not trying to make a huge profit, then you'll get tickets somewhere down the line for face or less.. Just my 2 cents worth

Last edited:
Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
So you wouldn't have a problem if it was that U2 charged $300 GA tickets? I mean, I'm sure some people are willing to pay for it. They have a product people want and they decided to make a profit. So why would it be a problem? Or wouldn't it?

no, i wouldn't have a problem if that's what tickets cost. actually, when the tour was announced, i immediately accepted the fact that i would probably have to go through a ticket agency for GA's, and i planned on spending no more than five hundred per ticket. but i was lucky. i didn't have to.

two nights ago, i saw duran duran at the joint here in las vegas, and those tickets were a hundred dollars each. i didn't cry about it, i went to the show. if that's what something i want costs, then that's what i pay.

Also, while no one is twisting anyone's arm to buy expensive tickets, it means that only fans with a lot of money can buy them.

i can't afford a mercedes, but i don't go around whining that others can. i am by no means rich. in fact, i am a single working mother. when i heard about the tour, i planned for it financially. if i couldn't afford to go, i wouldn't. simple as that.

bonosgirl84 said:

no, i wouldn't have a problem if that's what tickets cost. actually, when the tour was announced, i immediately accepted the fact that i would probably have to go through a ticket agency for GA's, and i planned on spending no more than five hundred per ticket. but i was lucky. i didn't have to.

two nights ago, i saw duran duran at the joint here in las vegas, and those tickets were a hundred dollars each. i didn't cry about it, i went to the show. if that's what something i want costs, then that's what i pay.

i can't afford a mercedes, but i don't go around whining that others can. i am by no means rich. in fact, i am a single working mother. when i heard about the tour, i planned for it financially. if i couldn't afford to go, i wouldn't. simple as that.

That's a little different. In that case, the people who actually made the car have set the price so high that you can't afford it. Someone didn't buy all of the Mercedes so there weren't any left, do absolutely nothing to them, and then turn around and charge you 10 times the original price for one.

And I don't think financial planning for a tour should include budgeting for exhorbitant scalping prices. You should have to budget for what the band is actually charging for tickets, and not anything more. If you can't afford that, then fine. You don't go. But you shouldn't have to budget for scalper prices because that's not what the tickets cost. The band decided what the tickets were worth (and, effectively, who could afford them) when they set the prices. It's not up to scalpers to raise the price and make it impossible for people to afford tickets the people who are putting on the concert decided those people should be able to afford them.

I think the key distinction that I'm making is between the manufacturer of a product setting a certain price, and someone who has played no role in the creation of a product charging more for it. In the latter case, they're making money they didn't do anything to earn. That, in essence, is why I think scalping is wrong.

when apple slapped the U2 logo onto the ipod and jacked up the price, no one said a word. U2 fans climbed all over themselves to get it - and the band profited from it.

would you say then, that the band's morals were compromised? they did, after all, "play no role in the creation of a product" and "charged more for it", thus, "making money they didn't do anything to earn."

they could have easily said, "oh that's just wrong, charging more because our logo's on it." but they didn't. instead, they arranged a nice little package of songs for even more money.

seems to me, if anyone's into ripping off U2 fans these days, it's the band itself.

it's slightly off topic, but i just wanted to throw that one out there. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom