I regret too much of my life...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ormus

War Child
It hit me today that so much of my youth has evaporated, and I've done nothing with it. So many simple things that one takes for granted, like adolescent flirtation, first loves, first heartbreaks, and sexual experimentation. I guess I really have, honestly, lived the stoic ideal without even knowing it: smart, aloof, unemotional, strong, protective, and celibate. Really, though, I wouldn't wish that "ideal" on anyone. It's purely a life of misery, one which, if I could, have changed completely.

And now the sunset of my youth is upon me. In one month, I graduate college, and, truthfully, I only look forward to this, so that my work will end. But, within my work, within my pursuit of knowledge, within my ambition to become the best at everything, I feel I've failed myself on the one thing that has always mattered the most to me: love. I guess I fear that, before I know it, time will have flown completely, and the world will have passed me by. I might become a sage in my own right, but, without love, is one really complete?

In the quest for the meaning of life, I believe that, more and more, I've actually found it. It's a feeling without words, and the "meaning" is one that truly evolves every moment you are still alive.

Regret...regret. It's probably the worst feeling ever. Uncertainty. So, I implore you not to repeat the mistakes I have made. If you have a question, it is better to ask it, rather than bottle it up. If you feel something, it is better to vent it tactfully, rather than to spare humiliation. The worst that can happen is inactivity, my once choice path, and all it leads to is regret.

Ormus

Don't regret these things, Ormus.

Love is a spendid thing, yes - but it will come to you when it is right. Too many people decide to rush things that are very grown up - falling in love, sexuality, etc. I, too, am celibate, and this is a very personal decision. At parties I am often held up as the object of intense scrutiny. But, I am living with the person with whom I will spend the rest of my days - and he is a sheer blessing. At the end of the day, the critiquers cannot say the same.

Back to love, though - my grandmother is 73. She has just met the love of her life. Love is full of pratfalls and heartache and confusion. But not currently being in love doesn't have to make you feel like you are a failure, or any less of a successful or meaningful human being.

All good things come to those who wait. And I truly feel this is so.

I will never regret my decision to be celibate. My boyfriend is celibate as well. It's nothing to do with religion. It has to do with doing everything when we're ready, and when it's on our own terms - not our friends', and not society's.

The media has created too many distorted visions of the way love and sexuality really happen. Love is a gentle, kind and calm feeling that will sit with you while you watch the days pass. It's not what you see on Days of our Lives or Melrose Place. Lust, peer pressure and despair is what drives people to shag everyone in sight, or settle down with the first person they bed just because they equate casual sex with love. This is not so, and please don't beat yourself up over not living these pains - they only complicate matters.

The fact that you are finishing school is a wonderous achievement - and you should take stock with that.

If you are happy, and can retain that happiness for more than 12 hours, take stock with that.

The "ideals" you mention build character.

Stay safe tonight.
wink.gif

------------------
~~~All I got is a red guitar, some Boards and my youth.~~~

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 10-30-2001).]

Oh, Ormus. I know just how you feel. I have been feeling depressed lately about a wide range of my own regrets and missed opportunities (these range from life experiences, to education to not getting to meet the Edge when he was in Toronto!).

I totally agree that there is absolutely NOTHING worse than regret, especially of things you didn't do. I am not trying to make you more depressed, just offering my most sincere sympathy and understanding (which usually helps me more than having people try to cheer me up).

But you are still young and have lots of time to experience these things that you have missed. Better late than never! Think of all you have to look forward to, and on top of that you have this background of skill, discipline and knowledge. Love will hit you when you least expect it, don't worry.

I met my husband when I was 19, and got married at 21. I had a very sheltered teen life. My regret is that I didn't get out more, meet more people, experience more of life or sew wild oats. I have had to give up those dreams, and I am jealous of friends who are free to experience new romances all over again, but that is balanced by the fact that I was lucky enough to meet my life partner so early on in my life.

You just have to do the best you can and what you think is right at the time.

I hope you'll feel better soon. Listen to a bunch of sad music and have a good cry. That will help a bit. ((((hugs)))))

HelloAngle and Mrs. Edge did and excellent job replying. I cannot compete, I can only agree.

You are still very young... I am almost 30 and still have not found "true, last forever" love. Maybe it depends on how picky one person is, because I am very picky... and even when I have been in a lengthly relationship I still find things to be picky about and wonder, am I with the right person?

You are smart and will be very successful. Dont say you have wasted your youth because it will pay off as you grow up. And you will find that person. I am completely confident in you.

((( HUGS )))

------------------
Zooming In
Zooming Out
Nothing I Can't Do Without

Dittos to all of the brilliant women on this thread. Don't regret- just change the things that you don't like about the way you live your life. Start living each day to the fullest.

I know it's cheesy- but there's a song in RENT that I try to live by: "There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way, no day but today."

------------------
We are such stuff that dreams are made on. Tempest, IV,i

[This message has been edited by Peaseblossom (edited 10-31-2001).]

Oh so you're talking about romantic love. The most fulfilling love I have ever experienced was a platonic one. I would've done anything for that friend. Oh, my point is, I don't think romance is the be-all and end-all; you can experience that same rush/passion/whatever in other aspects of life. Truly!

foray

I just regret my entire life...
frown.gif

Well, most of it anyway...

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Back
Top Bottom