I need some time travelling British friends.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I want to apply for naturalization (I'll spell that with an "s" [and use single quotation marks (and call them "inverted commas")] when the Home Office tells me I'm a British citizen), but I can't because I haven't known anyone in the UK for three years apart from brother-in-law's girlfriend who's under the required age of 25. So if you're a British citizen over the age of 25 and are able to travel back in time and become friends with me three years ago, I'll give you a present. Thanks! :)

(This is a confession because I don't have any friends and now I can't get a red passport because of it. :grumpy: )

yay bammers!

that's complete pants, though meg. even i can get a geezer passport and i've never set foot on pommie soil. well, not until next week, anyway.

i hope lu can help you.
:up:

bammo2 said:
plus I'm 29 :D

what's involved?

It's just filling out a form (page 12 here:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/annew040806.pdf ) saying that you're British and know me and I haven't been involved in genocide, terrorism, crimes against humanity, or war crimes as far as you're aware. I've read that the referee bit is more of a formality for people applying for nationality on the basis of marriage, so they're not too strict about who the referees are. I doubt I'll be applying for at least another year since I haven't even gotten my permanent residency yet (hopefully will be getting it soon) and I've had to pay £350 for that so I might as well get some use out of it. I realised too that some of Sam's friends will be 25 when I apply, so I'll probably be okay and am just working myself up over nothing as usual! Thank you, though, and I definitely may be contacting you in a year's time! I just want to be able to vote here (though I don't think they would notice if I did now since I keep having to inform the government that I shouldn't be on the register as I'm foreign!) and to have two passports. :drool:

Last edited:
meegannie said:

I doubt I'll be applying for at least another year since I haven't even gotten my permanent residency yet (hopefully will be getting it soon) and I've had to pay £350 for that

:shocked:

meegannie said:

It's just filling out a form (page 12 here:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/annew040806.pdf ) saying that you're British and know me and I haven't been involved in genocide, terrorism, crimes against humanity, or war crimes as far as you're aware. I've read that the referee bit is more of a formality for people applying for nationality on the basis of marriage, so they're not too strict about who the referees are. I doubt I'll be applying for at least another year since I haven't even gotten my permanent residency yet (hopefully will be getting it soon) and I've had to pay £350 for that so I might as well get some use out of it. I realised too that some of Sam's friends will be 25 when I apply, so I'll probably be okay and am just working myself up over nothing as usual! Thank you, though, and I definitely may be contacting you in a year's time! I just want to be able to vote here (though I don't think they would notice if I did now since I keep having to inform the government that I shouldn't be on the register as I'm foreign!) and to have two passports. :drool:

hey meggie i've got this right don't i?
you have to have your permanent residency for at least a year before you can apply for citizenship right?
is premanent residency £350 now?!?!
christ it was £250 when i got mine redone for my new passport about 18 months ago and that was even same day processing... i can't imagine what that costs now!

i'm due to apply for my citizenship at the end of this year - tests, interviews and a large bill to look forward to :|

digsy said:

hey meggie i've got this right don't i?
you have to have your permanent residency for at least a year before you can apply for citizenship right?
is premanent residency £350 now?!?!
christ it was £250 when i got mine redone for my new passport about 18 months ago and that was even same day processing... i can't imagine what that costs now!

i'm due to apply for my citizenship at the end of this year - tests, interviews and a large bill to look forward to :|

The fees increased in June to £335 for the postal applications and £500 for the in-person ones. :eek:

I thought that you had to have had Indefinite Leave to Remain for 12 months before applying, but apparently if you're the spouse of a British citizen you only have to have ILR at the time of application (so I could theoretically apply as soon as I get my visa).

Good luck with the naturalisation!

Back
Top Bottom