I need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
congrats on your 100th post!!!! :wink:

yep, I play flute, and absolutely love it... most of the time anyways :evil:

hmmm... no idea what 'large paper' means... that could be anything!!! I wish I knew how to help you!

well, now i'm procrastinating ... i need to study for an english test and do some frustrating pre-calculus... so good luck with your collage, and let me know how it turns out!

...please don't procrastinate...there's enough of us in the world.:wink:

Thanks for all your help...now I have a better idea of what to put on the collage. :bow:

I hope your english test goes well...and have fun with pre-calculus....
You must be good at math... if you enjoy physics so much. :)

I'll keep you updated on the collage. I'm gonna go look at some of my poems now...

Again, thanks! I really really appreciate your help... :)

Yeah, sure! No problem. Anything to help a fellow schoolmate! I get really frustrated sometimes and have a mental block, so I know what it feels like.

Now I'm all excited about your collage!!! I want to make one! Hmmm... when I get the time I think I will. I know to you it may feel like work b/c it's an assignment, but when the pressure's off I think this is something that could be quite fun. Maybe I'm crazy. :wink:

So, how's this thing with the 'procrastination' going? Are you learning to get your work done??? (last week I was up till 2 am working on a literary analysis... procrastination of course) I hate procrastinating, but sometimes I'm not quite sure how to motivate myself to get things done right away. Like, for instance, today. I taught a gymnastics class right after school. Then I came home, knowing I should do my homework and practice piano. Did I do any of that? No! Now I'm mad at myself for being so stupid and waiting till later to do it. But I don't think about how mad I'll be later when I am procrastinating. Grrrr. The problem is, when I come home from school, I don't feel like doing school work. So, I wait a couple hours to do it. Then I have to stay up really late to get things done. Maybe what I really need to do is get motivated... somehow.

You know? I was thinking about that too...this could be considered fun...but it's schoolwork...so I just can't think of it as fun...I think of it as just another assignment.

The 'procrastination' thing is not going that well...I still don't know how to meet my goals. I guess it takes some practice...and A LOT of effort.

You said something about motivation...and that's another one of my problems. I can't seem to get motivated...and sometimes I really don't care about all this school stuff. I know it's important and i KNOW I should care but sometimes I don't, and I end up procrastinating.

Sometimes I try to ignore my feelings on a certain subject and I try to focus on the main goal, which is to get the assignment, or the unit done. But that's really hard...I can't do math without thinking "WHY do I have to do this"? I mean, I do it (most of the time :wink: )...but I feel so discouraged while I'm doing it...because it takes me so long to understand some of the problems...or I see something that I don't understand right away and I just ignore it and whine about how stupid and pointless I think it is.

The other thing is...there is no end to homework...even when I finish assignment B..there's always assignment C....or when I finish unit 4..there's always unit 5. And I never get a chance to just stop and take it all in...not even the summer because the past two summers I ended up in summer school. :|

I feel really lost sometimes...maybe if I found something to do outside of school...that would leave less room for procrastination. But knowing me...I would probably turn it into another excuse for not keeping up with my work. :|

My biggest regret in higschool was not that I didn't think I was going to college. I always *knew* I was going to go - I didn't care what it took, I'd go.

But still...... it didn't hit me until my senior year, which is essntially "too late" but not really; Getting good grades in HS makes everything so much easier. Getting yourself in a good mode of "getting things done" is important, since when you get to college it's ALL up to you. If you want to party and procrastinate, you can. But so much of schooling is effort - how much do you want to focus, how much time do you want to spend.

Yes, kids should be kids, and socialize and what not.

But when i saw Dr Phil today, and the girl was talking about how she didn't want to graduate from HS and "not have any friends" ... that made me really shudder.

Ultimately, schooling allows you to choose your destiny. Maybe you don't want to go to college, and just want a certain lifestlye. :shrug: generally speaking, that's up to you. And generally speaking, that's the glory of the system.

That, and giving you enough education to vote and fufil your civic duties.......

I realized something about school (or education in general) : it gives you the oppertunity to control your life path. However, the flipside is.... you're young, and you don't know a damn thing about the world. (as in, what you want to do, what proffession you want to try to get, what lifestyle you want to live, what people you want to be around, where you want to live, what you want to do, etc, etc etc etc.......)
That's just the hard reality. I've graduated HS, and I'm going to college in january, and I still don't know very much at all. I believe in learning, though. IN education, in progress... I think that such things will make this world an improved, evolved place to live in in the future.

My last advice for now - do not get too centered on "now". Being a kid, it is tempting to only concern yourself with the present moment. I always thought myself different, etc. But this is one area where I wasn't, and was probably behind - foresight. Think about your future, when you have the time. Think about the big picture. DOn't get me wrong, it's okay to have fun. But...

As a turn of the old phase - don't waste your youth on "being young".

That's just my opinion, though. It's based off of not only my personality and thoughts, but also my experiences. ANd I say it mostly because I never took school seriously.

Last edited:
YES!!! I know how you feel... there is no end to the homework. I'm only a junior in high school... and I will be going to college!!! I guess the only way I get through my school work and pull good grades is thinking about the future. AND THE PAST!!! I have worked so hard to keep my 4.0, and I'm going to do whatever I have to to keep it. I have never gotten anything lower than an A in my life. I can't just blow all my hard work now. Yes this is a form of motivation, but I feel like there should be a better way...

:madspit:

I have to catch up on all my homework this weekend.:|

I know I want to go to college...and I'm working realy hard to keep grades up this year...because if i want to go to college I know that i have to do better than I did last year...and the year before.

I went through a big change of...environment three years ago, and my attitude towards school...and other things..changed a lot too. I'm trying to go back to taking school more seriously...but it's harder than I thought....:|

The oddest thing for me was changing my environment; I moved away from my school district during the 3rd grade. I realize, especially when I was younger, stability, or lack there of, was a big thing in my life.

I could blame my family, or a lot of other things. But that doesn't matter.

Anyway, the strange thing was, after moving out of my original school district, I was at one place for 3 years. I moved north. After that, though, I moved back, back to my original school district....

I guess for me, it always felt like I never really came back.

eh, I don't have time to explain it all. I just don't like the idea of wasting time :shrug:

Yes...changing environment can be very odd...especially because I was 12...and going through a lot of other things.

But when I think about it...it wasn't so bad. And i've been here for almost three years...and I don't think i can go back...and I don't want to. Too many things have happened as a result of that change...but I've grown so much...and I still feel like this place is contributing a lot to my...personal development, i don't even know if those are the right words. But that's what it feels like...

Lemonchick said:
Yes...changing environment can be very odd...especially because I was 12...and going through a lot of other things.

But when I think about it...it wasn't so bad. And i've been here for almost three years...and I don't think i can go back...and I don't want to. Too many things have happened as a result of that change...but I've grown so much...and I still feel like this place is contributing a lot to my...personal development, i don't even know if those are the right words. But that's what it feels like...

So this was good for you?

Yeah...I think it was good. I hated it at first...but sometimes i do wonder what would've happened if I had stayed...:hmm:

Even if you do, you can never "go back". It changes.... It was weird for me to have come back.

I'm greatly looking forward to college, where I can really have a clean slate to work with - for the first time in my life, too...

It was supposed to be a productive weekend...I was supposed to catch up on all my work...well, I'm just starting to do my work...:|

Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me...It seems like I can't get anything done, even if i know that i really have to.

I don't know what's happening...old habits and feelings are resurfacing...I'm scared this is going to turn into a repeat of the last two years...

I'm lost...I need help....:|

Uh...... a bizzare form of editing.......
Here is my first post:

For Honor said:
I guess it is okay if you seek help from a counselor, etc.

But don't press the "bail me out, I don't want to do this, I'm a baby :blahblah: " button. Part of growing up is dealing with things like this.

When I was in your shoes, I endured a really bad quarter or whatever. So you might have to, if it is excessivly bad ( I can't tell how bad you've gotten, or if you're just being lazy, etc), if it's too bad, just grin and bear it and face up to your slacking. So what, you get bad grades for a bit.

Life isn't about not falling down (ala batman begins)
it's about learning to build yourself up, stronger than before.

===========================
===========================
(second post)

Let me remember what it was like for me..... I was really childish about it at one point, because I'd do other things to avoid my school work, but not enjoy those things, because I knew the work would always be there, but things like this, like the internet, were "fun", and "an escape", etc.

So I'd use my nervous energry, or adreanaline, to do other things.

(a lot of my early writing has been a result of that - focusing on other problems when there is an apparent one infront of you that you "don't feel" like doing.)

And it was a very 'rewarding" experience, because I felt good avoiding something I didn't want to do. But it was all fake, because I knew that the work would be there anyways.

Basically, it's the old "inevitablity" thing.... either you embrace it and get the work out of the way, or avoid it and .. well... you know how that goes.

One thing, though, about motivation, that my dad just revealed to me - there really isn't "motivation", per se. It is something that you generate internally. But you don't "find motivation" and then do work.

You do work, and then motivation comes along.

Think of...... motivation.........
as 'momentum'.

Heh, If I only remembered my physics more, I would actually speak scientifically about it..... lol, but not a chance, not today! :D

Good luck, Lemonchick

Last edited:
I can't go to the counselor...the man thought I was suicidal because I wrote a story where someone died a very tragic death...it was just plain stupid...:|

I know that part of growing up is dealing with things like this...and I'm not saying that i don't want to to it...I just don't know how...

For Honor said:
Life isn't about not falling down (ala batman begins)
it's about learning to build yourself up, stronger than before. [/B]

But what if i fall down...but can't get back up...what if I can't build myself up?

Because that's how I feel...I don't think i have the strength to build myself up....I feel so...
...meh...nevermind..

For Honor said:
One thing, though, about motivation, that my dad just revealed to me - there really isn't "motivation", per se. It is something that you generate internally. But you don't "find motivation" and then do work.

You do work, and then motivation comes along.

Think of...... motivation.........
as 'momentum'.

So what you're saying is that I will feel motivated AFTER I do the work?

But that's the problem...I can't bring myself to actually doing the work...

Sorry....I think i'm just being annoying here...

the only person who can prevent you from picking yourself up is you. I know that's cold, but it's the truth. There will always be external factors that are in your way, that's part of it all.

I can see how it might be weird if your counselor has a preconception of who you are, etc. But if you want to, I'm sure you can find some people who will aide you in your educational success.

But I know, growing pains can be..... discomforting. And, once again, I'm not above them, either. I don't mean to sound like I might be. This is just what I'd say to myself, more or less.

no, you are not being annoying.

But you might be procrastinating, still :shrug:
Honestly, it's none of my business what you do.

just know that you're decisions now will affect how you feel later, etc. And about motivation, don't even worry about it at all. Time is better spend getting things done, as opposed to seeking motivation.

Yes....I'm procrastinating...

I think too much...about everything...it can be annoying...I'm sitting here..thinking about this whole situation...meanwhile I'm barely getting any work done...

Sometimes I wish I could shut my mind off...or at least that part of it that keeps me from getting things done...It wasn't like this before...I used to be able to do my work...I used to enjoy doing my homework...I was good at getting things done...I was productive, and focused, and very aware of the world around me...

I never imagined that I would end up like this...

From your first post:

"The thing is...I come home..ready to do all my work. I think about the things I know I have to do...and I start doing them. And if it's a subject i'm not that good
at (like Physics) I just sit here..staring into space. Then I go back to one of the subjects i DO like..and I spend endless hours working on just one part
of the unit because I want it to be perfect, and because I enjoy it so much."

In a way, you should feel lucky; you've found something that you really enjoy doing and that you are willing to put a lot of work into in order to make it perfect, to achieve your goals. This will be extremely useful when you go to college, because you'll have a lot more control over what classes you take, and you won't need to take very many classes in subjects that you can't stand. So you'll be asked to do more work, but it will be a lot more work that you enjoy doing, and the fact that you like making everything perfect will be very useful. But the thing you need to remember is that colleges will judge you by your performance OVERALL, not simply by whether you're really good at one or two things. So it's important to work hard in all your subjects so that you can at least show moderate success in all your classes, even the ones you hate. Then once you've gotten into college you won't have to worry nearly as much about the stuff you don't like, since about 50% of your classes will probably be classes in whatever your major is, which should hopefully be something you enjoy!

For example, I hate writing papers, I think it's the most boring thing in the world, and I spent most of my high school career focusing on what I *do* enjoy and just sort of muddling through my writing classes. But through hard work I did well enough on my less-favorite classes to get into a good college, and now I only have to write something like 2 papers every semester. On the other hand, I now spend about 25 hours or more every week working on math problem sets, but since I really like math, I'm really enjoying my college experience. So you should consider high school as really an investment in your own future. Do well enough in high school to get into the college of your choice, and then once you're there make sure you pick classes that you enjoy, and you'll do just fine in life :)

^ well said. Especially about higschool as being an investment for your future...

==

Maybe, if you're a good girl (lol) and get some work done, I'll explain my sig tomorrow. But the main thing, and it does apply to you........ is that nothing in life is "free"; blood, sweat, and tears are the prices you've gotta pay for many things in life....

But like c4veritas has mentioned, if you can find a way to make things that require effort mentaly appealing (aka enjoyable), then you make things a lot..... easier......

I'll check in tomorrow. Goodnight.

I promise I'll be a good girl...I'm almost done my philosophy collage :D

Looking forward to you explaining your sig...

Thanks, again...for everything...this is all really helping...I don't know how...but it is..

Goodnight.

Yeaaa!!! Philosophy collage! How's that coming? I didn't get around to making my collage this weekend... maybe I'll start it next weekend.

For Honor, I love your sig too. Looking forward to your explanation!

I would post about the procrastination thing, but I'm afraid it wouldn't make any sense right now. I'll have to think about it some more.

I had a good, productive day at school today. I worked 4 out of 5 periods and went to a university presentation.

I also finished my philosophy collage...I still don't think it describes me...it does have some elements of my personality...but if you look at it you'll get a very vague idea of who I am. I stayed up unti 12:30 last night working on it...but then I felt so into it..I started working on my math unit :yes: I know it's hard to believe...I actually worked on it for 1:30 hours straight...without interruption...I don't know how I did it...I just got into it and didn't stop... :D

It seems like I'm more productive late at night...If only I could work like that during the late afternoon/evening...:sigh:

Hello,blindinglights7 :wave: how have you been lately?

:wave: hey lemonchick! I am doing great... I just got "October"... so I'm very excited!!! By the way, you can call me April, because, you know, that is the name i will put on my homework when i get around to it. :wink:

Congrats on your day of hard work!:applaud:

I seem to work better late at night too. It's a good thing to stay up late for the quality of the homework, but then I don't get enough sleep. Maybe it's the motivation factor. It's late, you want to get your homework done and go to bed, so you actually work better... :hmm: But I know I should get it done early, so I can relax later, and go to bed at a decent time.

Tell me more about your collage!!! :hyper:

Hey! You can call me Dani (short for Daniela). :wave:

Anyways...I don't know how to describe my collage...maybe when I get it back I can send you a picture of it.

It has a few U2 pictures, a picture of the Joshua Tree, quotes, pieces of poems that I wrote...and random words cut out from magazines.

It wasn't that original...but it looked pretty good considering I'm not quite the visual artist...I'm better with words.

I also put this picture; it's a scene from one of my favourite movies- Wings of Desire

wings_of_desire.jpg

And I really like October...especially around this time of the year.:wink:

Time-Pink Floyd

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in a quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
Its good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away across the field
the tolling of the iron bell
calls the faithful to their knees
to hear the softly spoken magic spell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can relate a lot to this song....:reject:

Back
Top Bottom