i just cant do it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manda honey I don't think anyone was flaming you or being mean to you intentionally. I think it's just that you are one of the coolest people here and the fact that you, and others won't be around is really sad. I think if anything some of the people were trying to convince you to stay.

However, like others have said, everyone has choices to make.... and I for one don't think any less of you for the choice you made.

:hug:

I don't like this thread.

I don't even know what to say anymore to get people to see the other side. Everyone thinks its about money. Some people spend a lot of time here. And maybe this is just a little push to step back and think about RL again.

Yeah, for some people this has been more than a message board. I'm sure for all of us in this thread, it's been a lot more than that (except Bear...I don't know how he feels about this :sexywink:).

People love this place, myself included. I think the monetary issue brings up commitment phobia. People have stepped back and said

..whoa....do I really want to know that I'm that commited to the internet? Is that the best thing that I can do with my money...for myself? Or am I better off saving it, forgoing the little indulgence here and using it in RL? Am I better off forgoing Interference and using my free time for say, family? Or work?

What's so hard to understand about that?

It doesn't mean that the friendships don't matter. It doesn't mean the boards don't matter. It doesn't mean the people here don't matter.

It doesn't mean that people were FREELOADING. It's a bit of a wake up call for some. To insuate that people are being stingy, or frugal, or tight-assed about the whole thing is just plain damn rude. Why is this difficult to understand? Why is everyone turning on each other?

Why does money do this?

Naya said:
And isn't it a bit rude to make assumptions about one's financial situation?

God Naya, why dont you just mind your own business. I was just asking a question to better understand the situation. I didnt mean anything rude by it and I'm sorry if I offended Amanda.

amanda was just being honest and said that at this time she doesnt feel that she can justify being a premium member. There is nothing wrong with that - it doesnt mean that she won't visit or contribute or support interference or remain friends with people here. She has even supported and understood the need for the premium service being introduced, just as a lot of people support the changes whether or not they become premium members.

Just because someone needs an understandable break from the all encompassing interference doesnt mean they are anti interference. Everyone has different objectives on what this place means, for some it is an all encompassing way of life, others a great forum and others a resource for information about U2. The new interference will allow people to choose what they get out of it and choice is a good thing in my opinion.

All of us go through times in life were we need to prioritise, and for some of us December 1st will facilitate a change that may have occurred six months before or six months later. If that is the case then those people should be respected and encouraged to continue their contribution, and not flamed or treated with impudence.

boy o boy and my o my....such,...... whatever it is

I think it is the deadline, that had us in far-off RL places a bit concerned. It seems a bit harsh to be questioning someone's appreciation of this site and to talk of "rats" and "3 cents a day" and "Buh-bye" in such seemingly throw away lines. hmmm sad But as my mother always said it's a free world and to speak up. I always respect the voice of others( especially you know who..B-vox)
Ouizy has a good idea (and a nice hat, someone e-mail me his Christmas creation)
I still owe for my night at INXS( the girls fault, I tried to say no) and you know what telstra do here in Oz?They send the phone bill on Christmas Eve...they always do. It has nothing to do with how we feel about Interference and I think our Joel and some others realise that. I hope so. They do.
I know we all have phone bills, we all have $50 if we look hard enough...guys I wear 2nd hand clothes already, always have...big true confession eh YuK...just as well, I need a whole new set, smaller :) I don't eat out, I don't belong to any clubs( I'm always telling my hub this, poor bloke, he works his arse off we just don't seem to be able to save), i find free entertainment, i don't live extravagantly, it is pared to the bone and getting worse lately. I will find the $$ sooner rather than later and be back like " THE Spanish Inquistion!!!" ( Monty Python joke)
What is the figure we are talking about?
$12 a year? I thought it was $20 USA per year. 3c per day did I get my maths wrong again?:reject: :help:
$10.95 US $20 Oz+ postage bizzo $15 = $35
:dance:that's better.
I am not complaining, i LOVE my life, but I sometimes think it is good to give another point of view and I just have to have a say.

but still and all. I still do not know what's up, so I should just :wave:

NOW

serious serious typos sorry...again

hey I never used some of these:der: :yawn: :flirt: :drunk: :macdevil: I have indeed used most I now see. thanks Elvis and the ppl who designed all this..

Last edited:
daisybean said:
Manda honey I don't think anyone was flaming you or being mean to you intentionally. I think it's just that you are one of the coolest people here and the fact that you, and others won't be around is really sad. I think if anything some of the people were trying to convince you to stay.

:hug:
:up:

I had an idea about payment. Perhaps we could follow a church offering model and do a 'pledge' thing. In my youth group days, all the youths signed a pledge whereby each person pledged to donate $__ per month, whichever suited their means. But that's just a thought I'm throwing out to the ether; it probably won't get considered.

I'd like to send my own donation to Elvis as a token of appreciation for the past few years but I don't think I'd subscribe to Premium.

foray@hotmail.com if anyone needs anything from me.

foray

I just need to say this

I think its sad that everyone here was/is in a pissy mood, yeah I can understand its the principle and not the money...but still...

I pretty much thought about this all day and the thing is, I never really thought of Interland as a petty superficial means of entertainment...to me its family, and its more like a second home to me. I made some great friends here. I really appreciate all that Joel has done for this site, all the effort from the mods and ops who help run this site too. And when I think about it, it really can't hurt to sacrifice a little money to save this place. I'm giving up my weekend money to subscribe next week. And I have also offered to sponsor someone who may not afford to subscribe but wants to stay. Come on people...this is our home here...

This site has changed my life. In most ways for the better, because I have all the U2 news I can handle, and I made some great friends online, and its helping me open myself up once again. And in some bad ways, I get kind of addicted to this place when I should be doing my housework and stuff. Yeah, there is a time when I do suffer from depression, and I used to look for answers in the wrong places, being the internet. Now its the Pepsi:uhoh:

When I registered here the first time, I was full of questions. I was looking for answers. Not sure what it was. All I know is that I was looking for someone, something, anything to understand my passion, and love for U2. I pretty much found it here. And this is where I'll stay.

God this makes me sad...

I hadn't thought about christmas...

I wish I hadn't opened this thread...it's been a shitty day and now this...

:sad:

I'll sponsor someone...anyone...just PM me...please.

Cass i'd be willing to help you out, I know all about exchange rates and what a bitch they can be...Maddie you too...I'll sponsor both of you...Maddie PLEBA would just not be the same without you around to make me smile!

So sad to read what some have to say on this. This in particular. Manda was confessing that she is likely going to say goodbye to everyone here and she gets jumped on. Very sad. I cant help but feel this has become a token thread for all to voice their unhappiness that members will leave. Having such unhappiness at members leaving is all fine and good, so is voicing them, but to single out amanda as the token whipping boy so to speak is really without basis. We will all be making a decision one way or another and I am saddened that some can put forward their own reasons for how they will justify paying for Interference as a model manda should adopt. If only we ALL could adapt our situations as some here will and can. Do you Diamond, feel amanda's personal situation so keenly that you can call her anal? I think not. Think before you insult members like that.

I am pleased it seems we have somewhat moved on from dishing it out on Elvis for this outcome. The sitatuation has been explained so often, finally perhaps it is understood. Hopefully we will now do the same for those members who choose for whatever reasons of their own, that leave.

Re: I just need to say this

nellie said:
I think its sad that everyone here was/is in a pissy mood, yeah I can understand its the principle and not the money...but still...

I pretty much thought about this all day and the thing is, I never really thought of Interland as a petty superficial means of entertainment...to me its family, and its more like a second home to me. I made some great friends here. I really appreciate all that Joel has done for this site, all the effort from the mods and ops who help run this site too. And when I think about it, it really can't hurt to sacrifice a little money to save this place. I'm giving up my weekend money to subscribe next week. And I have also offered to sponsor someone who may not afford to subscribe but wants to stay. Come on people...this is our home here...

This site has changed my life. In most ways for the better, because I have all the U2 news I can handle, and I made some great friends online, and its helping me open myself up once again. And in some bad ways, I get kind of addicted to this place when I should be doing my housework and stuff. Yeah, there is a time when I do suffer from depression, and I used to look for answers in the wrong places, being the internet. Now its the Pepsi:uhoh:

When I registered here the first time, I was full of questions. I was looking for answers. Not sure what it was. All I know is that I was looking for someone, something, anything to understand my passion, and love for U2. I pretty much found it here. And this is where I'll stay.

You know, today.. in our world, not enough people tell each other how much they appreciate each other, and what they do for them....

Tonight, after taking a total break from reading the forum, I read your post first, and it made my night.

Thanks.

Joel :)

FishNeedsABicycle said:
Cass i'd be willing to help you out, I know all about exchange rates and what a bitch they can be...Maddie you too...I'll sponsor both of you...Maddie PLEBA would just not be the same without you around to make me smile!

Cass is already a Premium member.... sponsor someone else :)

there there

i thought about staying but i just can't see myself doing it, and it makes it easier since a lot of the people who made it enjoyable for me here are either gone already, or are leaving soon

it's not a money issue it's more of a crossroads type thing, maybe i'll change my mind but i doubt it

elvis, you're a mad man for putting as much time and money into this place as you have over the years, I hope things work out...

Sorry misunderstood her post! Thanks Elvis...that makes me feel a bit better...the offer still stands for anyone who wants an early christmas present! Especially overseas posters!

The Feesh

ouizy said:
People are saying this place is an addiction. People, this place is not Heroin.

you ever hear of net addiction? no offense, but i honestly think some folks here need to look into it. no, it may not be as noticably detrimental as heroin, but take a good look at some of these people's lives...or lack therof. and i'm not saying that to be mean. some people jest about it, but ultimately, it's a reality. i personally know several people who's lives have been dramatically affected for the worse, mainly socially, but also mentally and so forth.

Statements like:

make me wonder why you post here at all then?

yeah, if you read my post carefully, i've been wondering the same exact thing. as The Sweetest Thing mentioned, this subription fee was in fact the incentive for me to re-evaluate why i am even here as much as i am.

after reading a lot of your posts - many of you have far fewer and less meaningful principles than this...

ouizy, if ever one of my signatures applied, it would be now: I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it

this latter statement of yours is utterly ridiculously. please refrain from making any more of an ass out of yourself. don't make assumptions about people based simply on the content of their posts in a fucking internet forum. many people here consciously choose to portray themselves in certain light, whether it be zany, nutty, light-hearted, playful, sarcastic, serious, outgoing etc...when in reality, they could easily be the furthest thing from this. as you may know, the internet allows you this little "luxery". not everyone chooses to placard their "real life" principles and beliefs here, and rightfully so, as they may feel it is no one else's business or they simply don't want to have to justify themselves to anyone here. i'd make a bet with you that nearly every person in here that is relatively familiar with my posts would be shocked or in some degree of disbelief if i were to divulge each and every principle, value, or belief that i hold dear to me. if you feel the need to be quick to judge or make brash assumptions about people and more or less make an ass out of yourself, you may just want to redirect yourself to Free Your Mind...you'll fit in just fine over there.

Last edited:
people seem to be angry with those of us who aren't interested in subscribing to a pay site, as if it's a personal insult to them and thus needing to ridicule someone's character, and even pretend to know what someone's "principles" are based on their posts!

Know what I reckon?

I reckon already Interference is torn................pple being selfish about pple choosing not to stay (for their own personal reasons and wanting to share why - why dont we just listen and wish them all the best in a friendly attitude with a hug?).. Sure sure they will be missed......but we have to accept......this is an internet..........and while we enjoy certain pples characters......changes happen......let them be.....

I am sickened already in reading this thread and hearing words like 'I never liked you anyway'...or 'For gawd sake $12 is not much!'.......its amazing how Joel's ultimatum has almost split everyone with bitter words in an almost 'Fuck you' sense.
and then pple coming out NOW with 'I never liked you anyway'
Or sayin 'You cant afford? Well fuk u then! Bu BYE!'

so naive and childish!

:tsk:

REMEMBER! Certain pple here spend lots of time on Interland (perhaps this a time for them to think and reconsider, if they want to move on)........, certain regular pple spend maybe twice a month on interland.....(perhaps they are the ones who would feel it not easy to spend on this premium - if they're not regular, but have over 200 posts, whatever, to them it may not be worth it maybe (they're considering?)?)..but I respect Manda's decision....and good on her! :up: Manda, u do whats best, forget the bitchiness on this thread and just listen to those genuingly wishing u well - Im one...........:hug:

some pple who are very regular here, might feel that they pay up and say after say...2 months, could get tired (through personal change) with Interland, and want to quit....therefore feel its a waste of money...........I am feeling like that, but its not like Joel is asking $30......that would be a diff story...............(no, Im NOT twisting things round here, Im tryin to see it through others eyes in the nicest weeeeeee way! :))....

...when things are free, there are no ties........now they're not...pple are deciding and quick........

I too have not made a decision, already its like:

If I stay - thats ok, I can afford to send Joel the moola (would have to be next week), I use comp at work, and even though I do post each day I enjoy everyone at this forum, right? Not having a comp at home, this Interland helps me get through the day..a lot........therefore I feel comfortable with it..and dont feel Im OTT in being here like four hours solid.............I can MAKE myself NOT come in here.............but again, thats cause I dont have comp at home - I cant pick on pple, I dont know how difficult it may be to have comp at home with possible internet addiction.........(;))

If I hang about without prem.- sure sure, I have no means of luxury with premim...but that wouldnt bother me, as I dont use PMing now, its pointless...........and it may be back to how board was before change.........and maybe with restriction, I would still see but I wouldnt be on it.....

If I go - it would be bloody hard at first! But then on a lot of occassions I tink Ive dried up now.......(ok, said before, but so), so maybe someone like me, whom Im sure pple would be tired of quickly (like floggin a dead 'orse)......might just be, in fact, would be beneficial! Its true, I am zany in real life and express myself on the board....its just the way I am....and being open with a lot of stuff.........................I just dont know right now!

If I stayed, the majority who do decide to leave, I know I will miss their asses.................

If I go..........it might be a good thing. for the board might become different anyway.....more tension in the air..........

I just .....have NO idea at the moment

and I dont know what this 'sponsoring' is...

I dont know, Im feeling all screwed up, its sad its come to this........if u want it, stay, if you feel other things, I truly wish you well with a :hug:

again, the attitude of some on this thread stinks...........and is it any wonder Joel prob sits there with his head in his hands wonderin why..........when all tings have been tried.......

aaaaarggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

:scream:

:hug: to everyone.....Im not pickin on pple here.......Im just.......frustrated!!!!!

And to the lads here being so bloody childish in their words with each other - GROW THE FUK UP! Stop TRYING to beat each other down with childish words! You look foolish!

*will prob get pissed on by the lads now*

:wave:

*sorry for this bollox of a post* :sad:

Last edited:
thanks a lot maddie, what u said means a lot to me. :hug:
you too anna. :hug:

id like to ask that this thread be closed.

i found out today that someone in my family died and this thing here is the least of my worries.
take care of yourselves kids.
life's too short for bickering.

Maddie said...:)

am sickened already in reading this thread and hearing words like 'I never liked you anyway'...or 'For gawd sake $12 is not much!'.......its amazing how Joel's ultimatum has almost split everyone with bitter words in an almost 'Fuck you' sense.
and then pple coming out NOW with 'I never liked you anyway'
Or sayin 'You cant afford? Well fuk u then! Bu BYE!'

so naive and childish!

I agree. And w/ the grow up part too.

It's all about examining priorities-and people have the right to do that. Anything else I had to say, I'll leave out for the sake of eliminating stress and for my mental well being.

I'll just flee now before I get pounced on for whatever-have a great day everyone!!!

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom