I have no idea where this is going.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
This is going to be really long and random, so be forewarned.:wink:

As the title says, I really have no idea where this is going. I just feel like there's so much crap I need to get off my chest ASAP. I might as well I dive right in by saying; I'm afraid. I've always been more of a worrier than most, but for the past 9 or 10 months it's been worse than ever. I feel like I fear every thing imaginable. I'm constantly afraid that something's going to happen to me, (i.e sickness, accident, other random unfortuante event etc.) and I don't know why. I go back and forth between periods of time where I'm relatively calm and sure that I'll be ok, and times when I basically have full-on panic attacks thinking something horrible is about to happen. I get the hyperventilating, the pains, the dizziness, everything that accompanies them for a few minutes, then they go away for awhile. Everything I see on the news or read about concerning sickness convinces me I have it. If I see something about an accident or tragic event, I'm afraid it'll happen to me. When I try to talk to my family, they tell me to get over it and just stop being afraid, but it's not that simple. You can't just get over a physical issue, so an emotional/mental issue isn't something that can just be overcome by a snap of the fingers, so to speak. I feel like I can't really tell my friends for reasons I can't even articulate. I just feel like it would ruin the good-times, carefree college life we're all supposed to be living. I think the not talking is the worst part. I've mentioned it to my friends and had a few ok conversations about it, but I don't think they get it. I just need someone to actually talk to where I can just release all the questions, thoughts, and observations that I've had come to me during this time. Over the past year and a half, my mother was diagnosed with cancer (she's been in remission since the end of last Decemer, thank God), my parents got divorced, I've moved out of the only home I'd lived in my entire life, I moved away to collegeand then back home (to a new house, same city) to transfer schools. My grandpa found out a few months ago that a lump he'd had on his arm for over a year turned out to be cancerous. However, they were able to remove it all with surgery, so he won't have to go through any cancer treatments like my mom did. A few weeks ago, my grandma fell and broke her elbow, fractured her shoulder, and broke a bone in her arm. While in the hospital to have surgery on it, she found out she has diabetes and high blood pressure. She's always been quite a healthy eater, so it was a surprise. One of my best friends had a health scare as well. While these events all freaked me out initally, I feel as though I almost numbed myself to them without realizing it. I'm wondering if I'm transferring every thing that's happened to my family and friends over the past year or so onto me because it was too shocking for me to deal with at the time. Sometimes I think, all these sicknesses, or other problems came out of nowhere. What if I'm next? I think that thinking along with just the repression of all the feelings and issues that came along with all that happened in my life are causing my own paralyzing fear right now. I've also undergone a big change in my spiritual life, and that puts me at odds with my Christian Conservative family. I'm still a Believer, but a lot of my theological beliefs are vastly different, and I'm constantly told how wrong I am, how I'll be punished by God etc. I can't stand feeling this way anymore. I can't stand being afraid to do anything, feeling anxious about a night out with my friends because something might happen, or being afraid to go to work etc. I hate thinking every little pain I get is a sign of some serious illness. A quote from Bono just popped into my head from a Rolling Stone article around the Elevation era. He's talking about a passage from The Bible where Jesus says, "He that loves his life shall lose it." Bono goes on to say something along the lines of, (and I'm paraphrasing), "When I was young I remember being confused by this because I loved life. Now I realize He's saying you can hold on to your life so tight, you're incapable of doing anything with it. It's about fear." That's how I feel. I genuinely love life, God, my family, my friends, but my fear is preventing me from moving anywhere. I'm sorry this is so rambling, anxious, and confused, but that's where I am right now. I just needed some sort of catharsis, and I figured this was the best place to let it out. Thanks in advance to anyone who's brave enough to read this!:hug:

Last edited:
Paragraphs, sweetie, paragraphs! :hug:

I'll tell you what, reading that post of yours was a little bit creepy for me. Do you want to know why? Because I've been through the exact same things. :| It's uncanny. I have the thoughts of a full-blown hypochondriac quite regularly. I once thought the lymph nodes on my neck were cancerous lumps. :lmao:

But you get over it. It becomes a boy who cried wolf kind of thing after a while, and you just learn to live with it. But always be smart. You should never ignore a wise thought, even if it's one you do not wish to hear. Still, don't let your fears get in the way of your life. There's a balance in there somewhere that only you can find for yourself.

I used to have panic attacks on a daily basis, and still have them from time to time. Sometimes they're impossible to explain, and may not even be related to the thoughts in your head. Meditate, do things that make you happy, and replace illogical, negative thoughts with more positive ones. Your whole outlook will be changed after a while, though that may not take the panic attacks away permanently, especially if they are caused by something physical or chemical. In that case, the choice yours. Do what you feel is right.

I'm sorry your family is going through all of this crap right now. It's no different here. One of my dogs has epilepsy, the other just had pancreatitis a couple of months back, my mother had chest pains recently (my dad has been in the hospital for heart-related issues on several occasions, BTW), and my freaking stomach hurts me almost every day of my life. I have no advice for you in this regard, unfortunately, but just hang in there. Things go in cycles, and this rough one will be replaced by a more favorable one soon enough. I'm also sorry that your family is ragging on you about your recent theological changes, but that's really none of their business. You know how to read, and you can interpret the Bible in your own way without someone else trying to teach you how.

Know that my email is always open, Brit. :hug:

Last edited:
You're in college, right? Does your college have a counselling center/service? If so make an appointment to talk to a counselor about these issues. You've dealt with a lot in the past couple of years -- various family members' illnesses and injuries and then your own major change in your religious belief which isn't approved of by your family -- it's a lot to deal with. No one can take away the stresses in your life, but a counselor can help you learn to effectively manage them so you don't feel so helpless. I think that will help a lot with the fear and even the panic attacks. It also couldn't hurt to go to a doctor for a check up. Make sure to tell him/her about your panic attacks. There are medications to help with those and that might be an option for you.

LemonMelon said:
Paragraphs, sweetie, paragraphs! :hug:

I'll tell you what, reading that post of yours was a little bit creepy for me. Do you want to know why? Because I've been through the exact same things. :| It's uncanny. I have the thoughts of a full-blown hypochondriac quite regularly. I once thought the lymph nodes on my neck were cancerous lumps. :lmao:

But you get over it. It becomes a boy who cried wolf kind of thing after a while, and you just learn to live with it. But always be smart. You should never ignore a wise thought, even if it's one you do not wish to hear. Still, don't let your fears get in the way of your life. There's a balance in there somewhere that only you can find for yourself.

I used to have panic attacks on a daily basis, and still have them from time to time. Sometimes they're impossible to explain, and may not even be related to the thoughts in your head. Meditate, do things that make you happy, and replace illogical, negative thoughts with more positive ones. Your whole outlook will be changed after a while, though that may not take the panic attacks away permanently, especially if they are caused by something physical or chemical. In that case, the choice yours. Do what you feel is right.

I'm sorry your family is going through all of this crap right now. It's no different here. One of my dogs has epilepsy, the other just had pancreatitis a couple of months back, my mother had chest pains recently (my dad has been in the hospital for heart-related issues on several occasions, BTW), and my freaking stomach hurts me almost every day of my life. I have no advice for you in this regard, unfortunately, but just hang in there. Things go in cycles, and this rough one will be replaced by a more favorable one soon enough. I'm also sorry that your family is ragging on you about your recent theological changes, but that's really none of their business. You know how to read, and you can interpret the Bible in your own way without someone else trying to teach you how.

Know that my email is always open, Brit. :hug:

Thanks! You definitely sound like you know what I'm going through! I think I accidentally deleted your e-mail address. Would you mind letting me know what it is again? Did everything turn out ok with your mom?

indra said:
You're in college, right? Does your college have a counselling center/service? If so make an appointment to talk to a counselor about these issues. You've dealt with a lot in the past couple of years -- various family members' illnesses and injuries and then your own major change in your religious belief which isn't approved of by your family -- it's a lot to deal with. No one can take away the stresses in your life, but a counselor can help you learn to effectively manage them so you don't feel so helpless. I think that will help a lot with the fear and even the panic attacks. It also couldn't hurt to go to a doctor for a check up. Make sure to tell him/her about your panic attacks. There are medications to help with those and that might be an option for you.

I am, but this semester I'm not. The college I'm transferring from had a mix-up with all my paperwork, so it never got sent to the college I want to transfer to. Hopefully, it will all be straightened out come January. Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely thinking about going to counseling soon. I just wanted to take my time in order to find a counselor who's best suited to me and my issues.

I think firstly, you need a big hug :hug:

Secondly, I'm gonna address the spiritual woes first, because I have some experience in that area. Remember: "Guilt is not of God." There's no sense worrying that every little thing you do is not good enough for God. We were granted salvation so that we wouldn't have to. That's the definition of grace, and as the book says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." If you are confident in your beliefs and that God loves you, then that should be enough. It is not up to your family to judge whether or not God is going to punish you. God is perfectly capable of deciding that for Himself.

As for the anxiety thing, I've had my own anxiety problems, but mine are different. My anxiety tends to lean more toward social anxiety and the like, rather than general anxiety or panic attacks over sickness or general catastrophe. I think I may be more afraid of being embarrassed or looked down upon by my peers than I am of illness or even death. It's just my way, I guess. I tend to be morbidly obsessed with and accepting of doom. For example, I have menstrual issues, and just the other day I was having some pains and in my head I went "Maybe I have ovarian cancer... oh well :shrug:" So I perhaps cannot offer any good advice to you regarding your anxiety. Sorry :uhoh:

I'll second Indra's suggestion that you perhaps look into talking to a counselor or therapist of some sort. Just being able to talk to a professional and get feedback can be an incredible relief.

Lastly, don't forget, you can IM me any time you need to talk, or if you just want a distraction from your own head :hug:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I think firstly, you need a big hug :hug:

Secondly, I'm gonna address the spiritual woes first, because I have some experience in that area. Remember: "Guilt is not of God." There's no sense worrying that every little thing you do is not good enough for God. We were granted salvation so that we wouldn't have to. That's the definition of grace, and as the book says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." If you are confident in your beliefs and that God loves you, then that should be enough. It is not up to your family to judge whether or not God is going to punish you. God is perfectly capable of deciding that for Himself.

As for the anxiety thing, I've had my own anxiety problems, but mine are different. My anxiety tends to lean more toward social anxiety and the like, rather than general anxiety or panic attacks over sickness or general catastrophe. I think I may be more afraid of being embarrassed or looked down upon by my peers than I am of illness or even death. It's just my way, I guess. I tend to be morbidly obsessed with and accepting of doom. For example, I have menstrual issues, and just the other day I was having some pains and in my head I went "Maybe I have ovarian cancer... oh well :shrug:" So I perhaps cannot offer any good advice to you regarding your anxiety. Sorry :uhoh:

I'll second Indra's suggestion that you perhaps look into talking to a counselor or therapist of some sort. Just being able to talk to a professional and get feedback can be an incredible relief.

Lastly, don't forget, you can IM me any time you need to talk, or if you just want a distraction from your own head :hug:

Thanks, hon! Your first paragraph pwns!:love: That's ok about you having different anxiety issues. I mean, I know some people that rarely have any kind of major fear. They struggle with different things. We've all got our thorns in the flesh. It's just great to know that you're here!:hug:

U2isthebest said:

Thanks! You definitely sound like you know what I'm going through! I think I accidentally deleted your e-mail address. Would you mind letting me know what it is again? Did everything turn out ok with your mom?

whp555444 @ yahoo.com is my email. :wave:

My mom is trying to cut out coffee right now, because she thought that's what caused the chest pains. So far, it's working. I hope that really was the problem, but I highly doubt it. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

whp555444 @ yahoo.com is my email. :wave:

My mom is trying to cut out coffee right now, because she thought that's what caused the chest pains. So far, it's working. I hope that really was the problem, but I highly doubt it. :shrug:

My aunt was having chest pains years ago and was freaking out about it. When she went to the doctor he ran all kinds of tests, and did extensive questioning and, he came to the conclusion that caffiene, specifically coffee, was what was causing hers. They stopped eventually after she cut out most caffiene. Praying that's all it takes for your mom.:pray:

Sorry things are rough for you right now.

First, as for the spiritual thing...I know there are things I think/believe that would be so shocking to my family members (mostly my in-laws, but they are just as much family) that I might as well be saying I'm a Satan-worshipper, even though at the end of the day we believe in the same God. There's a lot of things that I just don't say out loud because we are never going to agree and I'd rather focus on what we have in common. If I am asked a specific question, I will answer, but other than that I just don't bring up religion.

Second, I think the perception of "carefree college life" is really relative. I had the same expectations, but while I was in school I was often frustrated because I worked a lot besides being a student and some of my friends weren't really sensitive to that. For example, some of the girls on my dorm floor would get on my case about not showing up for floor dinners or various outings they had planned, but they never got it through their thick skulls that I had THREE JOBS!!! However, now that I'm done with school, I really do miss it. Yes, it was stressful and a lot of work, but I miss the variety - having a different schedule each day, being with lots of different people - not just going to my "real" job all day everyday at the same time with the same few people. I miss staying up until the buttcrack of dawn and then skipping an 11:30am class because it's "too early", lol. I almost feel like I had more freedom then that I do now, though now I have less financial stress and I have my dogs which I would not trade for anything.

Hey Brit :hug:

When I was your age, I went through a period that is very similar to what you're describing (sans the religious issues). Life is just so damned overwhelming and uncertain at that age. I mean, it can be at any age of course, but there are very specific issues that face people in your age group. Not only that, but all the change, transition and family matters you've had, plus watching others deal with potentially very serious health problems, wow, that's huge. It's no wonder you're feeling worried, anxious and stressed all the time.

I think that panic attacks are simply the body's way of manifesting the stressful crap you're not dealing with on an emotional or intellectual level. You can look it up, if you haven't already. It's just a set of physiological responses brought on by the release of adrenaline and other stress-related chemicals and hormones. That's it. Nothing to be afraid of. :) But, untreated, the fear cycles, and just makes itself worse and worse.

Fortunately, anxiety and panic are one of the easiest disorders to treat and manage. I really urge you to talk to your doctor, or a counsellor once you get back to school in January, if you can hang on that long.

Take care. My PM box is always open. :hug:

We don't know each other, but I also had my share of troubles when I was a college student (and as a grad student). So I sympathize with you.

You've dealt with a lot of things in the last several months; it's no wonder you're anxious.

Don't just think about seeing a counselor when you go back to school in January: Go and do it. Your college ought to have a counseling service on campus. (If yours doesn't, see your pastor or look for a mental health or crisis counseling service in town.)

IMO, you need to talk about all of this, at length, with a professional. And, if it's still necessary, you can get also get a referral for medication from a counseling center.

:hug: (I can be PM'd, too.)

U2isthebest said:

My aunt was having chest pains years ago and was freaking out about it. When she went to the doctor he ran all kinds of tests, and did extensive questioning and, he came to the conclusion that caffiene, specifically coffee, was what was causing hers. They stopped eventually after she cut out most caffiene. Praying that's all it takes for your mom.:pray:

Thank you. :) I'll keep you apprised of any interesting occurrences.

Hey Britt, I know we've talked about this all already, but you're a wonderful person with a big heart and all that :blahblah: All this will eventually fade and you'll come out a stronger person, I'm confident of that. Like I said, I've been where you are now, so I get it. If you want advice, I got it. If you want to ramble, you're talking to the best :wink: Late night text/phone calls are always welcome if you need someone. Never hesitate. If all else fails - Evieness + Fedex = all betta!

:hug:

Last edited:
Hey Britt :hug: Warning: long post ahead as well ;)

It seems like you're not alone in how you are feeling. A lot of the posters above me have been feeling the same like you did in some way. I have, too. I had this period in my life which lasted for a long time, in which everything just seemed to go wrong. My parents divorced, I was struggling with myself, didn't do too great at school, and a whole lot of other things which I don't really want to talk about here.

The bottom line: I was afraid just like you are now. Very afraid. Everytime I heard a siren of an ambulance I thought, oh no, this is one of my family members, I'm sure of it. Everytime someone who I love had to go outside to run an errand or something, and I was still inside, I was afraid they'd get hit by a car or have an accident and wouldn't return to me. Everytime I watched the news about terrorist bombing, murders and whatnot, I thought, this is going to happen to me next. Everytime I got on the bus to school I thought to myself, what if an accident is just going to happen to me right now? What if I get ill? What if I don't get the chance to do all the things I still want to do? Tell people I love them? Don't get to see them ever again?

So yes, I do know what you are feeling like. These feelings you are having, are intensified by the negative happenings in your life which followed each other rapidly. You just feel overwhelmed with it all, don't think you can handle it anymore and you even have a change of heart about religion and faith. This last thing, that you're not prepared to take it anymore whenever you're called to be a sinner or wrong, is good I think. Nobody deserves to be thought of that way, a constant sinner or something. I know a lot of religions take this concept and practise it a lot, but I don't think that's right. You're a good person, everybody is at heart, and whether we act like it or not, is a different matter. But everybody is born to this earth with a purpose, a positive reason for being able to be in this world. Enough about religion right now, this is something for yourself to find out, how you think, feel and act about your faith.

It will get better, you can trust me on this. I did go through some of the things I described above, things which I was so afraid of. They taught me that I should take life the way it comes, live day by day, try and don't think too much about the future, because what if my future stops today? Then I haven't lived to the fullest. Like you said, it's not that simple to just 'get over your fears'. It's a process. A process which you shouldn't have to go through alone. I went to a counsellor for a while, and she really helped me a lot. It was difficult to admit I needed help that way. But it doesn't mean I'm a crazy person or a weak person for that matter. I think it's strong to admit that you are experiencing some problems, like you just did in your post with being afraid.

I'm just saying, you have to take this step by step. You shouldn't want to change too much at a time. Heck I sometimes still even have my drawbacks. What I'm saying is, you've just made your first step with describing and admitting all of this, so I'm very proud of you :) If you ever feel like talking to someone about what's going on inside your head or if you just feel like venting, don't ever hesitate to send me a PM or e-mail. I'm here for you, without judgments or anything. You'll get stronger, just like Kaf said, I'm sure of that :hug:

Heya Britt,

I'm no counselor, nor am I qualified to give any sort of advice or suggestion, except that I definitely recommend you do go to a professional who can help you sort things out. You're still insured under your parents, so I would even advise you to go sooner than waiting til the end of January when school begins.

Mental health is just as serious as physical health. People will go to a doctor to treat wounds, but when the mind is in need of treatment it gets pushed off to the side. Just because you don't readily see it, certainly doesn't mean it isn't there, or it is something to be overlooked. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting assistance from a professional. They are trained and educated to do just exactly that. They do more help than harm.

I hope you are able to work things out. It must be awful feeling that way day to day. I couldn't imagine :hug:

However, I want to add, that despite what your various family members have been through, I think you also can look at how they overcame. They had some major obstacles, but I think the outcomes are certainly more positive than negative. It could have been a lot worse you know? So if it is at all possible (and I understand it may not be), when you are feeling frightened, try to remember that yeah, shit happened, but look at where everyone is now. They got through it.

In your post you mentioned you are looking for someone to talk to where you can get all your questions out and be open about your feelings. You're a really great friend of mine, and as much as you mean to me, I'm afraid that what you are looking for goes beyond my abilities. Please Britt, talk to a counselor asap. I'll always be your friend, but I'm afraid I can't provide you the professional guidance you need right now. You really can talk to me about anything, I'm always here to listen. However I've no idea how to help and that sucks :(

I'm glad that you were able to get all this out though. I'm sure the catharsis may have helped just a little. Keep helping yourself and take care. I'm sorry things suck right now. You can talk to me til you're blue in the face til things get better :) Love you long time Britt, and don't forget, as much as you care for others, it is just as important to take care of yourself!

Back
Top Bottom