I have never admitted this in public but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
U2 dont challenge me anymore!!

I used to listen to their new stuff at it would take me a few listens to really get into it. I would find new things I liked in every listen. I know I know, arguements in other forums about ATYCLB and Pop piss me off too. But I just cant listen to ATYCLB anymore, it doesnt challenge me! Acthung Baby and Pop still challenge me!

Could it be over? Can they still make music that pushes the boundaries? I have grave doubts over any new U2 material released and I NEVER thought I would say that!

:reject:

I have learned to love "Electrical Storm" and have as well, learned to accept the direction U2 seem to be headed. I have my doubts whether or not they'll ever exceed the levels of creativity achieved with AB and Pop; however, that being said, I love them and they will always be my favourite band. I don't always need to be challenged. They move me, and as long as I still get chills listening to their music, innovative or not, that's enough for me.

You obviously haven't seen the new video jonbonojovi_boy. I got goose bumps all over... but then again I think Larry is heavenly. :drool:

I kind of feel this way too.. but ES is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Hopefully the next record will be more rock than ATYCLB (even though I do like it). :slant:

Electrical Storm- I hate Bonos wailing in it- Its a so-so song- not that great I hope they will get better I really do

And the video im excited about Larry in it being all hawt and good looking but a deer randomly wandering about- and Bono singing on a train it really struck me as tacky :silent:

I prefered the old U2 I loved Pop and AB and October- lovely albums :silent:

I have said too much............:reject:

I'm glad I got into them fairly early, so that I didn't miss anything as cool as Achtung Baby. I really, really miss those years.

:sad:

But, I love them, will always love them. No other band has the power to move me the way they have over the years, and you can't undo that with one song. :shrug:

The new single could be crap on a stick and I wouldn't care as long as the video was the same. :silent:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The new single could be crap on a stick and I wouldn't care as long as the video was the same. :silent:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

here's hoping that the new album actually rocks. :uhoh:

hahaha,
I almost thought I read something about music that has to "challenge" you (whatever on earth that might be) and that U2 should "rock" more (whatever on earth that might be)

I'm going to guess I misread

Something to think about.

Well, I am supposed to be on posting hiatus, and indeed I am, however I deemed this a topic actually worth my time adding my 2 cents to.

To be perfectly honest myself, I love the old U2 stuff, imho AB and JT are the most solid and consistantly incredible, they flow, there are no lulls, its just work of musical genius after another. That being said, after I bought ATYCLB I was sitting on the fence, but after listening to it, getting to know the songs, I can say that I appreciate the quality of that album just as much as I do Joshua Tree. The thing with the songs, theyre all cutting edge, atyclb seemed to me, to be an experimental throw back to a style of classic rock that few people practice anymore, revolutionized and turned into what you could call neo-classical-U2-style-rock-and-roll. Its unique, it doesnt sound like anything else out there, and thats what makes it great. Lyrically the songs are all top notch, and I was a little disappointed with Electrical Storm, but so often you have people pumping out album after album after album going on about the same stuff in the same way and it gets so incredibly tedious and tiresome. Everyone has to remember that Electrical Storm is an additional track going on the Best of 90-00 album, and is not necessarily a show of things to come. Edge's guitar is still incredible, the song still has that U2 progression from start to finish, that inexplicable sound that makes it U2, lyrically its sound as well, the only problem as I see it is the lyrics dont seem to fit the music the way they should. For all we know that song might just be an experiment to see what the U2 fans think, a subtle question - What would you like to hear next? Electrical Storm was different, and that got me anticipating new U2 stuff more than it would have if it was simply a throwback to Joshua Tree or Unforgettable Fire or War. Different is good. Would you all rather see a new and constantly evolving U2? Or as bono so aptly puts it, turn into 'a rock dinosaur'? I mean theres so much potential the band has still yet to reach, if you become closedminded now, where will they be 5 or 10 years from now if they pump out a Joshua Tree clone? We all barate new bands as prefabs cuz all their music sounds the same, yet we defend U2 so fiercly, what would that say about us as U2 fans?

Something for you all to think about.

:bono: :edge: :larry: :adam:

*goes back to interference vacation*

:yes: Very well said ~unforgettableFOXfire~

And what's this about an Interference hiatus? As if you could live without us. :sexywink:

Re: and this is me saying this w/o even actually seeing the video!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Amen. I miss The Fly.

I miss the Hitman in muscle shirts.

while ATYCLB is not my favorite U2 album, it's still a high quality album and better than 80 to 90% of the music out there

I'm very interested in what U2 will do next, I'm not convinced that I will ever like another band (including U2 themselves) as much as I liked U2 during the 90s

I also wonder if the U2 overload that I receive from this place is partially to blame for my somewhat blase attitude about the band right now

I also wonder if the U2 overload that I receive from this place is partially to blame for my somewhat blase attitude about the band right now

i WOULD blame that, but i don't get a U2 overload here. despite all the interferencers i talk to daily be it for hours or minutes, it is rare that we talk about u2, and the places i post here are generally non-u2 related.

Lilly said:

i WOULD blame that, but i don't get a U2 overload here. despite all the interferencers i talk to daily be it for hours or minutes, it is rare that we talk about u2, and the places i post here are generally non-u2 related.

yeah im the same. i rarely post about U2 and rarely talk about U2 with any of you guys. there's alot more interesting things to talk about at the moment! ;)

ouizy said:
I refuse to listen to anything but Sunday Bloody Sunday from now on...

i don't listen to that song, i havent listened to it in about....a year :|

well I don't chat or IM, I do post a little bit about U2, but in the time from the pre-hype of ATYCLB thru the Elevation Tour, I think I may have heard a thing or two about the band and what it's been up to

Well I'm totally "old School"....I love JT, R&H and TOTALLY LOVE ATYCLB. I can listen to it over and over again- not skipping one song. "POP" on the other hand- well I like because it's U2 but I can't get really into it.:shrug:
Electrical Storm wasn't a surpise for me, I like that type of music. I guess we have to see what the new album will sound like.:)

Back
Top Bottom