I have a caffeine problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to be pretty much addicted to Coke when I was in high school (somebody will quote that and use it out of context one day). Like, I'd probably have a 600ml every day and maybe more. I don't know how the hell I didn't just turn into a wreck. And if it wasn't Coke I was on, it was iced coffee (more popular than Coke in South Australia, for those not in the know). I don't know how I got off them, I guess I just realised they weren't doing me any good - I would be in genuine physical pain just because of Coke. I think I just cut it all out and drank water instead.

Now, that was a couple of years ago. I had a few sips of Coke maybe a week or two ago and could barely swallow that stuff. It kills my throat, and iced coffee generally just gives me a headache now, although I'll occasionally order one of those sexy ones with cream at cafes.

This year though, I was totally hopped up on energy drinks all the time. Even though they're expensive and chock full of so much sugar that they only work for about twenty minutes. It got to the point where I just wasn't feeling any effect anymore. I only kicked that stuff a week or two ago. Now, I don't drink it unless I'm going hiking later in the day or something. Now I just drink fruit juice and iced tea. I also drink powerjuice sometimes.

Anyway, what's this about again? Caffeine? Man, that stuff sucks.

Anyway, what's this about again? Caffeine? Man, that stuff sucks.

Hahaha. Nice. :up:

As I'm typing this I am drinking a Mountain Dew.. *thinks about the 'Do the Dew' commercials*

I gotta admit though.. the soda and the energy drinks are pricey as hell. But that's why they made Sam's Club, Costco, and many other wholesale shops. It's excellent if you're a persistent drinker (which can be applied for both "drinks" but that's a completely different topic). Anyway, I'm really shocked that this thread would get such truthful replies. :applaud:)

Did I mention that I had my Red Bull this morning? My stomach is churning but I'm awake like the daylight in the clouds. :)

I worked at various coffee shops from the age of 16-25. Years of a constant & free supply of caffeine has left me a hopeless addict. My drugs of choice: iced coffee and Kenyan black tea.

:crack: <---me without caffeine

I try to have just two cups of coffee a day, in the morning. Sometimes I have three if I'm really tired. I don't drink soda, I gave it up a couple of years ago. I do have chocolate from time to time, Slim A Bears and the occasional regular ice cream and this week I got a bag of Hershey Bliss.

I don't know how people have coffee in the afternoon and evening and get any sleep or uninterrupted sleep- maybe your body gets used to it and adapts somehow.

wow, it always surprises me to hear people drinking tons of coffee or soda all day.

I had three large coffees today, in your honour! :applaud:

I think you can definitely overdo it, and I walk that fine line sometimes! Coffee-drinking is relatively new to me, just the past few years. I think I went full-steam into it one morning when I was extra groggy. The caffeine jolt worked wonders. It's kind of a horrible dilemma, though...because the more often I drink it, the more I need to get the same kick. That said, there's nothing quite like a great cup of coffee on a lazy weekend morning. Factor in a great hike, and great music in the mp3 player, and it's close to heaven. :drool:

I had three large coffees today, in your honour! :applaud:

I think you can definitely overdo it, and I walk that fine line sometimes! Coffee-drinking is relatively new to me, just the past few years. I think I went full-steam into it one morning when I was extra groggy. The caffeine jolt worked wonders. It's kind of a horrible dilemma, though...because the more often I drink it, the more I need to get the same kick. That said, there's nothing quite like a great cup of coffee on a lazy weekend morning. Factor in a great hike, and great music in the mp3 player, and it's close to heaven. :drool:
:cute: as long as someone's having my share of the coffee. i don't want it! :yuck:

i really want to avoid ever developing a taste for coffee, because i know i will quickly turn into the type who needs a pot of coffee a day to function. as it is, i can't stand frappuccinos. it barely tastes like coffee but i can still taste it!

Did I mention that I had my Red Bull this morning? My stomach is churning but I'm awake like the daylight in the clouds. :)

I hope you mean this rather than the Western stuff:

pibhans$1230234421.jpg

Mmmm, that's good shit.

i really want to avoid ever developing a taste for coffee, because i know i will quickly turn into the type who needs a pot of coffee a day to function...

Yeah, hopefully you can avoid getting hooked. Sometimes, I wonder if I started drinking it because of the sinister marketing that's everywhere these days. Nah, on second thought, I don’t think that had much of an impact. Hopefully, you will love the bean you will love the bean you will love the bean you’ll find that to be the case, as well.

Stay arabica light roast arabica you are getting tired healthy, I’d Say. :up:

I gave up my Coca Cola addiction & caffeine way back when I was pregnant. I was off of it for two years, since I was nursing as well. That first Coke after that 2 year period - :yuck: It was sooooo sweet. Then I got back into my routine (as stated before, not as much anymore). I've only had 1/2 a coke today so far. And some water. Dinner will be here, and I think I'll have some Ginger Ale. I still like the carbonation, and it doesn't have caffeine :happy: Though I'm pretty sleepy... :hmm: what to do....

How do you have any teeth left? :wink:

Actually they're fine...it was Diet Pepsi - no sugar. :D I did have to wake up in the middle of the night just so I could drink another Diet Pepsi and go back to sleep. I must be over it though - Mr. LG still drinks the stuff (though nowhere near as much as I did), and I took a sip or two of his on occasion over the past few years, and I thought it tasted terrible. How did I ever drink that crap? It's tastes so nasty to me now.

I had to switch to water so I could practice what I preach. I am a massage therapist, after all. I gotta be able to tell people the benefits of water. And hey, if I can kick caffeine, anybody can. I baby-stepped it. I would force myself to drink twice as much water as Diet Pepsi each day, which I hated at first, but when I started craving water, it was really easy to switch. :up:

I have a 10 page paper to write and I'm only on my introduction. I have no Red Bull in the frig. :sad: :sad: :sad:

It's due at 10:00am. I can do it... but I just need a little 'oomph' to get me going...

I'm gonna go brew a gallon of coffee and ice it... then chug. :)

I'm going to market coffee and Coke bubblers in Canada. Watch me roll in it with this one, everyone. No more marketing!

:shifty:

What an investment! :hyper:

Yeah, hopefully you can avoid getting hooked. Sometimes, I wonder if I started drinking it because of the sinister marketing that's everywhere these days. Nah, on second thought, I don’t think that had much of an impact. Hopefully, you will love the bean you will love the bean you will love the bean you’ll find that to be the case, as well.

Stay arabica light roast arabica you are getting tired healthy, I’d Say. :up:
:lol:

For the vast majority, caffeine is neither physically nor psychologically addictive to any appreciable extent. It may represent an enhanced risk for persons with a pre-existing heart condition, but I have yet to hear of anyone dying by tea or coffee overdose.

Seriously, there is an awful lot of health fascism around these days. Stuff like 'Diet' <a certain mass market beverage> , with all those nasty chemicals, is probably a lot worse for you than an ordinary cup of tea or coffee. Brewing a few pots of tea of coffee is a lot cheaper than, say, than 3 or 4 cans of the aforementioned beverage.

If it pleases you to drink the odd cup of tea or coffee, then do so, and if it doesn't, then bloody well don't. It isn't that complicated.

I do have quite a bit of caffeine on a daily basis. I almost never drink straight coffee, but I like lattes and capuccinos. I also really like Diet Coke. I must be pretty immune because I can have it late at night and it makes no difference to me. I did also try caffeine pills at one time during exams. Didn't do much for me.

I admit to drinking more than my fair share of caffeinated drinks. I do know when I'm ingesting too much caffeine tho so I know when to back off. Same with too much sugar in drinks. So I try to balance everything with mixing caffeinated and non-caffeinated drinks and regular soda with diet soda or plain water. My son when cramming for finals takes one of the ADD/ADHD meds, Adderall. Not a good idea and actually illegal to take prescription meds that aren't yours tho so not good to pass that bit of info along as advice of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom