I have 100% Incurable Life-long Wanderlust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
The whole arc of my life, if I'm honest, has been to travel. Peace Corps? Semester abroad? Foreign Service? Write a 30 page paper for this conference? It's in Germany? Sure, sign me up! A demanding career in hardship countries? It's travel, isn't it?

The only reason I need to go somewhere, is that I haven't been there. I get an itch at least yearly to be far far away.

It's hopeless. I'm hooked, and show no signs of recovery. :D

That sounds great to me. You could have much worse vices. :wink:

I'm one of those people who lived in 4 different countries by the age of 12 and I guess I have a built in need to see the world. It's like being the littlest hobo.

I want to see the world too......... but... ..... I want to find home someday, too.

However, I can home being "being with someone else", someone important....so, hmm.....

Travelling and bringing"home" with me.... I wonder if that's possible?

Or just another...... contradiction... ...

Antriam--thanks! :) It's an expensive hobby, LOL, but the best education and the most fun money can buy. :D

FH--no contradiction, IMHO. Nothing has made me appreciate home and family and friends more than experiences abroad. Not as in, "Wow, does this place suck, Iwanna go home" but as in stretching me and opening my eyes and putting new oxygen into my blood. I've written before in journal entries about my term in Oxford that if felt like someone (Someone? :wink: ) had given me an oxygen mask and I didn't even realized I've been suffocating. It was about being intentional about staying in touch, for me. In a weird way, though I am out of sync politically with the current admin, and more in sync with the anti-war sentiment I heard a lot in London, I never felt more "American" than when I was over there. Home is a state of mind, anyway, really. It's more about the people I have with me than the building I'm in.

Anyway, you got me started. LOL.

Feel free, guys, to add travel tales here if you'd like. I :heart: them!

Sherry Darling said:
It's an expensive hobby, LOL, but the best education and the most fun money can buy. :D

Thats very very true. Don´t remind me on what I spent for my 13 plane tickets last year... and the rest of the travel.. but it was pretty much worth it. And you get another perspective on what luxury means, really.. no stories can make you feel that, one just has to go there.

The world is so big, and there are so many places to see...

i'm like you only on amuch smaller level! im always spending my skool holidays in other states with rellies but next year i'm moving out! for a year!

ha ha i finally get to leave Australia and im going to Ireland!! woo im so excited most of my money is going to saving up for this! omg i am so pumped!!

I;d want to travel the world, but I think I'd want to do it with someone beside me. Either as a couple, of a group, small group maybe.

Heh, but ........ maybe that's just the "Fantasy" in me..... heh heh heh.... ... hmm.... now this thread has really got me thinking........

For Honor said:
I;d want to travel the world, but I think I'd want to do it with someone beside me. Either as a couple, of a group, small group maybe.

Both ways of travelling, either alone or with a partner, have their god and bad sides.

When you´re travelling alone, you may feel lonely at times... this reminds me when I was in paradise.. walking along deserted beaches, totally alone, for hours and hours. It was beautiful, but at the same time I would have liked to share this beauty with someone. However, you may not meet that many persons and be that independent if you are travelling with soneone. Then, it will be more about the partner. When you are alone, you are so free, you can go wherever you want whenever you want. You can feel like the first man who came onto Planet Earth. You will surely meet many people, probably more than you would meet in compare to travelling with someone.

I am content I did my last trip on my own. There were difficult times, like getting ill at the end of the world, everyone speaks Spanish and you can´t speak Spanish well, and then get some antibiotics without description or doctor ;)

I even met a good friend of mine in Costa Rica who happened to be there. We had planned to travel together for two weeks, but then it turned out all different. We just met for a cafe on the busy San Jose streets at the very end of her stay.. funny though. Wild and cool. Ok, and I met a lot of friends in Jamaica, so I was kinda protected and respected there. Surely, I wouldn´t know how to move in Kingston if it wasn´t for them.

But most of the trip I was on my own. And it was totally great.

Imagine being on the beach of this picture. Very few people, far off.. and at the same time you know you are so isolated.

No one to ask for your name.

No one to find you.

And the strong flood of the Pacific ocean pulling you out when you swim.

It changed my life and made me focus on important things. When you are there, all Europe, all work, all standards, all luxury, all comfort, all your worries, all your usual daytime life is sooooooo far away. Nothing can harm you.

This is what I call freedom.

drift.jpg

I guess I am the way I am because I've had plenty of time alone in my life as already. So... I want what I haven't got. But also... I don't know...

Don't get me wrong, hiphop, I respect that sentiment, that photo, that whole essence that you captured there. I don't deny it, nor want to take away anything from it :up:

For me, though... I don't know. It would seem ..... inefficient... to just do everything alone. Maybe this is some sort of perverse dependance thing. But more so... it feels like that is already within my grasp. Maybe it has to do with how I look at the world, or perhaps more so, how I move through it.

Or maybe, the thought/ideal of having someone who would want to be with me on such an..... adventure, that is what appeals to me. I don't know.

I admit that there is something about the ocean, though...
... and different cultures, different people...
I read somewhere that "I" was either going to be a homebody, or be a very avid traveler, one or the other. But that I'd be nostalgic either way... :shrug:

The world is a fascinating place, regardless...

"See the world in green and blue
See China right in front of you
See the canyons broken by clouds
See the tuna fleet clearing the see out
See the Beduin fires at night
See the oild fields at first light, and
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth...

Sherry Darling said:

It's hopeless. I'm hooked, and show no signs of recovery. :D

me too!!!! I always say if I win the lottery I'm not going to buy a big house and fancy cars. I'm just going to buy a plane and see the world. I get nervous if I don't have some sort of a trip planned. After my U2 tour ends in December I don't have anything planned. I'm going to have to get working on that soon but I don't know where I want to go next. :hmm:

For Honor said:
Don't get me wrong, hiphop, I respect that sentiment, that photo, that whole essence that you captured there. I don't deny it, nor want to take away anything from it :up:

Thats fine, everyone has to travel like he / she feels its right... :)

Back
Top Bottom