I hate you all... Virginia traffic officers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it was on the passing lane... I had bad luck and I think I was on the middle lane of a 3-lane highway... so not much point in arguing that I was overtaking another car or something.

starsforu2 said:
In Northern Virginia everyone speeds. I have seen (routinely) people going 80 on the beltway (25 miles over the speed limit)

If you don't make at least 75 on the Baltimore-Washington Beltway, you will be run over :|

Let's put this discussion to rest...how fast were you going and what was the speed limit; then we might be able to understand if the cop deserved to be pissed....?

I remember being pissed only when I had to chase some guy for several miles just to catch up with him to get him stopped....

How Fast????

70 mph and the speed limit was 55 mph. Does that make me a maniac?

Furthermore, 5 miles before the speed limit changed from 65 mph to 55 mph and I am sure that is the specific reason why all the cops were there waiting.

And he didn't have to chase me, as soon as I saw him, I pulled over.

wait...people go to court over speeding tickets?!?! :eyebrow:

"all the cops were there waiting"....were there like multiple cop cars waiting to ambush from underneath the 55mph sign? If you saw there was more than one, why didn't you slow down, lol!

I was going 62 in a 55. I was eating and driving and didn't notice the speed limits changed, even though I had been through the town tons of times. I was on my way to take my elderly aunt to the cemetary to put out Christmas flowers on all the family graves. I told him this but he didn't care.

BTW - any traffic ticket you get is worth contesting, just for the chance that the cop doesn't show up that day - if they don't, it gets dropped. You have nothing to lose except a lot of money for a few years when your car insurance goes up. :mad:

Yeah that's true, if he doesn't show up you get off. Also I have to correct my last post, I got 2 tickets mixed up. That eat and drive one was 57 in a 45, (I thought it was still 55) my other ticket was 62 in a 55.

Last edited:
For people who plan to travel in virginia anytime soon: read everything U2kitten has said and heed it!!!!!!! It drives me crazy when the cops hide out in those little "authorized vehicles only" things because you can't see them until you've passed them. I see people pulled over everywhere all the time. They sure do keep themselves busy!!

U2democrat said:
For people who plan to travel in virginia anytime soon: read everything U2kitten has said and heed it!!!!!!! It drives me crazy when the cops hide out in those little "authorized vehicles only" things because you can't see them until you've passed them. I see people pulled over everywhere all the time. They sure do keep themselves busy!!

Sorry, hun, but they do that everywhere! Kinda the point of the highway patrol, no?

What you gotta do is come to Michigan where our speed limit is 70 and if you drive just under 80, they'll never get you (unless is snowing, but if it were snowing, you'd be in a ditch faster than you'd be sighted by a cop). We always get pissed going down to the Gulf b/c Indiana takes lik 8 hrs to get through and they enforce their speed limit of 65.

Don't get me started on Virginia Cops....I got pulled over on 66 last month for speeding, but I was only going 10 over and it was raining lightly so the cop let me go. I don't think he wanted to hang out in the rain. Lucky :|

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

What you gotta do is come to Michigan where our speed limit is 70 and if you drive just under 80, they'll never get you (unless is snowing, but if it were snowing, you'd be in a ditch faster than you'd be sighted by a cop).

I got pulled over for going 80...but I HAD been going 90...but I'd slowed down by the time the cop had caught me, so I was damn lucky. Actually, I was even luckier because he let me off with a warning.

I was a nice :yes: motorcop; I wouldn't write a ticket until the guy/gal was at least 15+ over the posted speed limit in the city; 20+ mph on the state highway (101)...and I still went through a ticket book and a half each day!...

I'll tell you what I really liked doing was writing crosswalk violations...:drool: in all fairness, if a pedestrian was in a crosswalk but had NOT reached the mid-point, I'd let you drive thru unless it were a kid, cause kids have a tendency to run...:up:

The one's I like the most is when the pedestrian is crossing and a driver stops but some jackass passes the stopped car and cruises through the crosswalk around the pedestrian...those really got to me! :mad:

Mr. BAW said:

The one's I like the most is when the pedestrian is crossing and a driver stops but some jackass passes the stopped car and cruises through the crosswalk around the pedestrian...those really got to me! :mad:

I know of an incident like you described where two young boys were crossing and as they crossed the light changed, but they were walking their bikes so not going quite fast enough. The car in front waited for the kids to finish even though their light was green, and a guy from behind got pissed, passed the front car, and plowed into the kids.....and he was a cop!

People not obeying the pedestrian's right of way are my most irritating and unfortunately most common occuring pet peeve since I don't have a car and I walk to school and work everyday. I cross at least twice a day at a T intersection so when I have the right of way to go straight, the cars going along my same line are all turning right or left. Unfortunately, my side of the street is where the cars turn left. Usually, I'm off the curb and halfway across the road before they even realize their light is green and when they turn left, I'm already in front of them, but one time this lady started going right at me and then was honking and pointing to her green light and I'm having to indicate that I also have a green WALK light and the right of way being that I'm travelling STRAIGHT. :rolleyes: It also makes my blood boil when people on a side street pull up to a busy street to turn right and pull across the sidewalk. Then, since they're turning right, they're looking left and never even notice someone was about to cross going STRAIGHT and should not have had to stop for a stupid driver that doesn't know how to look both ways. Even when I'm riding with a friend or relative who does this, I get pissed and start yelling.

You are nice, Mr. BAW :yes: Anyone going 15 over or 20 on the highway is probably a danger to the traffic and should slow down. I just don't like the ones in VA who sit there and wait for somebody or follow them and get picky over a few miles.

In California, there is a law that requires you signal 100 feet prior to a turn BUT....there is no law that prohibits you from driving down the street with your signal blinking forever and you don't turn....now that is really annoying...:mad:

Back
Top Bottom