I hate Religious people....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lara Mullen said:

There are a lot of people on my course like that. I really feel like they look down their snooty noses at me. Because I may go to a pub (even though I don't drink everytime I set foot in a pub but they think I do) one of them said my friends and I were all drug takers because that's what he had been told by someone, that people who go to clubs enjoy taking drugs. I hate that they feel they have the right to talk to me and other people on the course like they are better than us. They also all have badges on their bags/ jackets saying things like "God made me" and "100% perfect" and they will tell you about clubs where people don't drink and a coffee place they go to to discuss God and try to get you to go. It's like they are shoving their religion down your throat at any given opportunity.

I don't say anything about the life they lead, I have no interest in what they believe in or anyone else for that matter and it really annoys me that they think they have the right to criticise me and other people and assume what sort of lifestyle I lead when in fact, they know nothing about me.

100% Perfect? Ha! Sounds like someone has a healthy dose of vanity there. And isn't vanity one of those "one way ticket on the express train to Hell" kind of sins? You might want to point that out to those "100% perfect" people.

indra said:

100% Perfect? Ha! Sounds like someone has a healthy dose of vanity there. And isn't vanity one of those "one way ticket on the express train to Hell" kind of sins? You might want to point that out to those "100% perfect" people.

Seriously! I'm religious and people like that bother me just as much. I don't think it's even and issue of one being religious or not; some people just need to get over themselves.

Sometimes I think that anti-Catholicism is one of the last openly permitted, insidious prejudices out there. And I say that as a basically lapsed Catholic without much interest in the Church itself.

I was raised a Catholic. I do enjoy a lot of the culture of it, because my ethnicity is one of those where Catholicism and culture intersect and it's really difficult to separate the two, so I appreciate it on a different level.

I will tell you that the hardest thing about staying a Christian, to me, are other Christians. I have had my fair share of enough vomitous ones that conversion to anything other would have been preferrable. Simply insufferable folk who do next to nothing for humanity aside from their rabid preaching. Interestingly enough, I work with a group of people overwhelmingly Jewish and I've never had any kind of proselytizing problem with them and would prefer to speak about religion with them every day of the week and twice on Sunday when compared to the evangelical Christians I've encountered.

There are truly days when I want to say, fuck it all to hell. As Bono sings, 'what's the use of religion if you're any good?"

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
some people just need to get over themselves.

No kidding.

I find the history involving the Catholic church to be quite fascinating, because it certainly does have a very interesting history. I just personally don't agree with the belief system. But more power to anyone who is a Catholic-if that's what works for you, then so be it. I would also like to say that cathedrals look incredibly cool-love the way they're designed and everything.

Originally posted by anitram
Simply insufferable folk who do next to nothing for humanity aside from their rabid preaching.

And not only do the people you're referring to do that, but they also spend the money their church receives on unnecessary stuff, and they spend it on themselves, instead of helping out the less fortunate or something like that. I've always loved it when Bono talks about how the god he believes in isn't short on cash-I just love Bono's views on these types of people in general.

I'm just thankful that there are some good-hearted people out there who actually live by the messages their religions teach them, who help those who need help and who don't act like they're right after God in the importance department and who don't sit there and judge everyone around them so harshly and who show respect for people who don't share their beliefs and everything. :up: to those people-keep up the good work.

Angela

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but doesn't Scriptures tell us to share the Word with others? It's supposed to be our duty, (no, i'm not one of the "pushy" Christians). I'm a fairly new Christian so I don't know all the ins/outs and I don't have a church family at the moment but I'd like to, the whole fellowship thing, but I'm pretty sure as a Christian, it's recommended, but not necessary to belong to a fellowship, and to share the Word of God.:reject:

4EVRU2 said:
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but doesn't Scriptures tell us to share the Word with others? It's supposed to be our duty, (no, i'm not one of the "pushy" Christians). I'm a fairly new Christian so I don't know all the ins/outs and I don't have a church family at the moment but I'd like to, the whole fellowship thing, but I'm pretty sure as a Christian, it's recommended, but not necessary to belong to a fellowship, and to share the Word of God.:reject:

You're right. The Scriptures do tell us to share the Word. IMO, it's only really a problem when people do get pushy and don't give the other person the option of making their own choice. You can't force someone to believe (I think history has taught us that lesson pretty well). And there definitely are benefits to belonging to a church family. As someone mentioned above, churches can provide accountability, as well as much-needed support. I guess it would just be nice if "religious" people were more willing to give people the chance to make up their own minds about what they do or don't believe. We can all be too quick to judge sometimes (whether we're "religious" or not). It just stands out more when you're expecting more from someone. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Christians out there who don't really live up to the name.

4EVRU2 said:

Sure, sharing is one thing, forcing is another!!
I found that while I was in college (a freshman) I was BOMBARDED with different religious organizations, and some cults. They prey on the newbies because they're young, impressionable, perhaps homesick/lonely etc. I remember my first semester I was an elevator going to class and this fairly cute guy started talking to me about school, the weather etc...he then proceeded tp ask me my plans for friday night. I was at first interested until he started telling me abuot his prayer group that meets and what they talk about etc... I was pretty freaked out because he wouldnt let me out of the elevator until he finished his rant. Just need to be careful.

4EVRU2 said:
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but doesn't Scriptures tell us to share the Word with others?

You're right, it does say that. And I have no problem whatsoever with having a good, civil religious discussion with somebody-a discussion in which I hear about what they believe, they hear about what I believe, we compare notes and see where we agree and disagree, we ask any questions about things we're not clear on about each other's beliefs, and answer them, and things along that line. That's fine. That's totally fine-I want to learn about what other people believe, I don't want to be ignorant and make assumptions about a religion that will only piss the people of said religion off if they hear them.

I just don't like it when somebody sits there and basically says that my beliefs are stupid (somebody did say that to me once), and says that I'm an evil sinner type of person and I'll go to hell for having the beliefs I do and all that other stuff, and I should follow their beliefs because their way is the best way and all that kind of stuff. That's being pushy, not to mention rude, and it bugs me, 'cause as I've said before, I've never done that to anyone.

Angela

I once had someone ask me if I was Catholic or Christian.:huh: I got kind of fed up with it all at family gatherings. On one side was my father's family, Jewish and Southern Baptist, and on the other was my Mom's, Catholic. Family gatherings always deteriorated into religious arguments. Then there was my ex who was LDS. It gave the rest of them a common enemy for a few years.:|

Last edited:
I think when...people.... get very "pushy" about religion, or trying to recruit you, it really is just a measure of their own insecurity or weakness.

I know it's written that "spreading the word" is something that's encrouaged, and I can understand the meaning of that. But it really reinfores the separation, segragation of peoples, and that creates space for prejudices and a lot of wrongdoing.

it becomes "us against them"

... now, I'm not one to say anything about religion, but it seems that people who push their "item" like that - as in, overly aggresively - are inherently wong and borderline hypocritical, because, to me, those people don't know what religion is really about.

But look.... even I did it.... I said it - "those people"...
I guess it's a hard thing to avoid, separating peoples like that.

I wonder if there is some way to make peace with them, or perhaps ask them to listen to your point of view. Maybe the whole "I respect you, and I would appreciate it if you respect me" approach.....

well, I don't know how much I really should say.
Take it with a grain of salt, I guess.

=======

yeah, that's one thing that really troubles me about religions... they often create more war than peace... and it's easy to offend someone, whether by accident or intentionally.

I always try to ask why the other people enjoy getting mad, because I never really see a meaningful answer to that question

my sister became a reborn christian about a year ago and changed dramatically over night and took everything very very seriuosly. initially it was difficult - we were on such different levels it became hard to communicate properly - and she preached a lot as i went through a difficult patch in my life - how much easier it would be with Christ etc etc. she stopped doing things she was doing for years before which i think have nothing to do with Christian values (like having a drink) and had such a different outlook on life it scared me. very very pushy and judgmental - i remember her seeing nude drawings scralwed on a public bathroom wall somewhere and being absolutely shocked and appalled by them while a few years before she would have had a pen out herslef! :lol:
now its all fine as the "novelty" has kind of worn off - that sounds bad but all i'm saying is that her initial over-excitement has faded and while she still has the same values and beliefs she did a year ago when she converted she's eased up on how much she exerts them on others. she understand now that not everyone feels like she does and its no longer appropriate to tell everyone and make them listen and judge others for their choices (such a strange but frequent habit for Chirstians i've always found... the judging of others thing) so yeah, initially it annoyed me and bugged me and put a phenomonal strain on our relationship as she preached to me day and night but now shes settled within her new life and beliefs and it would be wrong of me to now judge her for her Christian beliefs and the way she does things, simply because i've never seen her happier and more content and levelled than she is now.
and when she does start to preach every now and then, i'll try listen to start with and if i think its getting out of hand all i have to do is a raise an eyebrow in her direction and she'll get the message and start laughing.

all i'm saying is it takes a certain amount of understanding from both sides - devout Christians need to understand that not everyone thinks like they do and telling us over and over again doesnt help and i think most people need to be a lot more tolerant of Christians and their beliefs. A lot of the time all it is is someone so happy and ecstatic with how they see things and how their life has changed that they want to share it with others. You cant fairly fault someone for that... to a limit

digsy said:
all i'm saying is it takes a certain amount of understanding from both sides - devout Christians need to understand that not everyone thinks like they do and telling us over and over again doesnt help and i think most people need to be a lot more tolerant of Christians and their beliefs. A lot of the time all it is is someone so happy and ecstatic with how they see things and how their life has changed that they want to share it with others. You cant fairly fault someone for that... to a limit
This is a valid point. I'm glad you posted what you did, I've experienced a little bit of both in my life. No matter what you believe, you have to understand that people who have different beliefs feel as strongly about them as you are to your own. Sometimes it's embarrassing when you are a believer and your likeminded friends are your worst enemies. They can be oversensative and unaccepting of flaws in our society. At the same time, it seems like people monitor you much more if you are a claiming believer. Sometimes, I'm guilty of monitoring other Christians and expecting near perfection. It's weird. I think differences aren't always understood, but it's important to share your differences in a way that is constructive.

:up: Nice post.

I went looking for sprits, I found alcohol. I went looking for souls and I bought some style. I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion. - Bono

That Bono quote has me thinking that I wish we knew as much about God as we know about religion. They aren't the same thing, at least I don't think so.

Yeah, but it's okay for people to force atheism in your face?

It's the only thing you can "preach" at people, without getting any flack for it, except from "religious" people.

Atheism is just as much of a belief, as Catholicism.

Unless you know everthing there is to know about the universe, how can you say whether or not the supernatural exists. How many stars are in the universe? Whoever can answer that question, can preach whatever they want to me.

Party Boy said:

You know what the worst thing about being a Catholic is that it seems its the only religion that is fair game for everyone to take the piss out of. Esp here in the UK - some of parodies/sketches "jokes" etc made about Catholic faith is astounding. If it was done to a similar scale on Islam/Jews etc there would be an outcry. Really really annoys me
Not terribly surpising considering England's history with that stuff and their demographics.

Shaliz said:
You're right. The Scriptures do tell us to share the Word. IMO, it's only really a problem when people do get pushy and don't give the other person the option of making their own choice. You can't force someone to believe (I think history has taught us that lesson pretty well).

This is well said, in my opinion. As a Christian, you want to share your faith, because it is so important to you, and you view it as true (which I do.) However, there are good and bad ways of doing this. Cutting of all communication with someone because they will not convert is horrible, just as constantly talking about conversion is annoying and off-putting. Starting up relationships soley for conversion is fake, although I do believe that there are people who love others enough to maintain these types of relationships, on a complete friendship level, and do it sincerely.

It's a fine line sometimes, because you want to show people how important it is, and how valuable to you, personally, but you have to respect them and understand that they may not respond the way you might hope. You have to be more than willing to continue the relationship regardless of whether or not they are receptive.

Sadly, I have known Christians who don't have this attitude.

Last edited:
I understand why. Usually, christians confuse themselves and become pretentious "legalists" (I'm not sure if that term exists in english).

Jesus was loved by the prostitutes, the tax collector, basically the "bad people". Why? Because he did not reject them and took them as they are. Many christians today aren't fun to be around and that is one of the big misunderstandings and they have watered down the initial teaching.

Read "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Phillip Yancey. Awesome book about what Jesus was like.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Jesus was loved by the prostitutes, the tax collector, basically the "bad people". Why? Because he did not reject them and took them as they are. Many christians today aren't fun to be around and that is one of the big misunderstandings and they have watered down the initial teaching.

Thank you. That is dead-on.

Angela

That is a very good point.

It seems that a lot of people I know, in regards to both religion and other things, just want to be right, and feel that the only way to be right is if someone is wrong. I've even seen people argue with a teacher over absolutley nothing, just to boost their ego or prove a trivial point. I really wonder, sometimes, why so many feel they need to be "right".

Maybe it's a form of insecurity

Back
Top Bottom