I hate my job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SanDiego Brenda

The Fly
I've worked in the real estate field for 9 years. It's the only line of work I've been in since collge, and Im miserable. The worst part is, I have some sort of tunnel vision as to what I'd like to do instead. I'm sure Im suited to do something else, but I can't figure out what and it's frustrating me to no end.

I totally understand Brenda.

I worked in a damn grocery store for 8 years. It's all I knew how to do, sad as that was. I ended up permanently injuring my shoulder from all the repetitive motions and lifting I did for all those years. So there I was stuck, what do I do, I cant do this job anymore, I had no college, no experience in anything else.
frown.gif
I was so depressed, and in pain from my shoulder.. it was the worst time in my life.

I decided to take some regular old computer classes... cuz I didnt know jack shit about comps and I learned sooooooo much stuff, I was so excited.

I got a job in an office, as a receptionist and I was so excited about it. I know its nothing close to being in real estate, but I was proud of myself. I am now a Legal Assistant making almost $40K a year, (same office) which I find incredible considereing I have only a high school diploma.

Dont give up.. something is out there for you. You can do anything you set your mind to.

smile.gif

------------------
Mean Old Men Took Away My Car

Sicy's Website

Hey Brenda, keep your chin up. I've been at the same place since i graduated from college--a non-profit--where i'm the only full-time staff person so the director leans on me a lot and she's a pain in the butt to work for (i won't get into that). anyway, for about the past year i've wanted to leave but for various reasons (money, guilt, lack of motivation, etc.) i couldn't get up the guts to tell her. Finally, though, a few weeks ago i let her know i am leaving after xmas and it's like a whole new world is open to me. (and Streets was what got me fired up on the way to work one day to get up the guts to tell her!)

but i know exactly what you mean about tunnel vision and all, there are a few days whenthe world seems so full of possibilities for me and other days (most days) when i feel like, what do i have to offer anyone? That whole "i can conquer the world" feeling I had when i graduated is gone and i'm in this rut. the worst is, after two years at a job where i basically wanted to leave once i started, i;m scared to commit to something that might get me stuck again...but i guess that's life...anyway, what's helped me is to figure out what really gets me going, what inspires me, what pisses me off & makes me want to change things, and then try to figure out what kind of work would give me outlets for all that. i also have a hard time bc i'd like to stay in non-profit work, but it's tough when all my friends are earning 3 times as much as me doing computer stuff...i like to think as if money doesn't matter to me, but sadly it does make a difference (especially when i'm trying to pay off student loans)

sorry for the babble but don't feel like you're alone. what makes you great is the fact that you realize you're unhappy and you want to do something about it. think of how many people stay in the same career all their lives and get so sucked in by their work that they can't even really see that their unhappiness is because of their job.

Brenda!
I would encourage you to run to your local library or bookstore and check out "What Color Is My Parachute".

IT IS GREAT!

It is about job searching, but more importantly it also deals with one finding one's "life mission". It has questions and a "workbook" that one can do, to find the answer!
Check it out!

I HATED my job. I left... with a lil' "encouragement" from my boss.

I am now... HAPPY!
Who woulda thunk it!?
I am NOT doing my "life mission"...YET.
But, I am not doing that work that I "felt" I had to do, that I had studied for and therefore "had no choice".... That work that I hated!

You are NOT trapped in what you do! It is NOT a "life sentence"!

Take a chance!... Search!

Bless you and Peace!

Back
Top Bottom