I hate minivans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
Sorry, they make me sick. Especially if they have a stupid soccer ball sticker on the back. Too slow, very annoying, full of baldheaded, bucktoothed little bastards ordering too much at the drive thru and holding me up. I also don't like the people who drive them, who are 30 somethings who look, dress and act like middle aged farts from the 1950's. I had thought society was cooler than that, and the younger generations would grow up less sappy than those past. Guess I was wrong.

nbcrusader said:
:madspit:

wait till you have kids

minivans rock

bad driver can be found in all sorts of cars

This is not to mention all of the poorly planned intersections out there. Birmingham, Alabama, where I live, is fifth in the U.S. in per capita traffic accidents because of very unsafe intersections. Even the newspapers regularly call the worst one Malfunction Junction. We have jokes at the library where I work that the reason we have to do something ridiculous/nonsensical is that we work for the city. In other words if it's a good idea they won't let us do it. No doubt plenty of accidents can be blamed on bad drivers, but there are also bad, bad intersections. I had a fender-bender at one the other day. The insurance company totalled the car. Great.:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
if i could ever maneuver those things, i'd rather drive a minivan any day.

God-forbid, if daisy and i ever got into a wreck, we'd have a better chance of surviving or having less injuries.

i love my parent's mini van. they first got one when my brother and i were in high school. like nbc said, it's great when you have kids and want to lug everything around and all their friends, etc. it's nice when my parents come up here to visit me now and we go shopping, etc., and have all that room to put everything.

i wouldn't mind having one myself. not that i have any kids. but i'm an artist and it would be great for hauling around all my artwork in.

and i like to go camping, it could hold all my camping gear or if i really wanted to i could just sleep on the backseat of the van and stay warm!

also it would be great for when me and all my friends wanted to go somewhere, we could all just ride in it together instead of all this trying to coorinate things, and trying to find a place to meet when we get somewhere, etc.

This is so ironic because just this morning I was cursing Suburbans! It used to be "moms in minivans", now it's "supermoms in suburbans". Leeloo - Everything you said I agree with! They drop their "bundles of joy" off at school and them go home and bake cookies for all their neighbors!
(maybe i'm jealous?) Sorry to those who drive suburbans and bake cookies but STEP OUT OF THE BOX!

bad drivers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, races, ages, sexes, and vehicles

just this morning i was stuck along with like 5 other cars behind this old guy goin' 50 in the speed lane... some guy manages to pass him, gets in front of him, and slams on his breaks, and then takes off... yea sure, he got back at the old guy for slowing down his commute... he also friggin almost caused a 5 car pile up. so really, who was the worse driver? the old schmo going way too slow in the speed lane or the younger a-hole who almost causes a huge accident?

Last edited:
Do you even know what is in the box?
The box is filled with people and places and things that are just like other people and places and things that are just like other people places and things that are just......

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bad drivers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, races, ages, sexes, and vehicles

True, but most of them are white upper-middle-class women in their 30's or 40's w/ kids..

im beginning to dislike this thread VERY much.

first...im 32. second. i have a little girl. im not the only one who fits this category. there are people on this forum who have families.

and yes!! i want a fucking minivan!!

whoever sets those stereotypes...where the hell do you get off??

I'm 34 with 3 kids, but I never had a minivan and I don't dress or act like the 50's. One of the reasons I never wanted one is because people make fun of them and think you're a geek. Vlasak you are right most of them are turning to Suburbans now. I couldn't afford one even if I did want one, the payments on those things are at least $400 a month. The thing that bugs me about the SUV being used for happy family stuff is that these people almost never leave town or have any fun in them! If I had an SUV I'd want a long trip, four wheeling it in the mountains, camping down by the stream. But all they ever do is go to the mall and soccer practice in them and yell if anyone gets their grassy feet on the rug. That's not what a sport utility was made for! Get a BMW!

Last edited:
I hate SUVs. They essentially are death-mobiles driven by people who can't drive big cars. And I know if I ever get in an accident w/ one, I'm going to die.

OK, I'm heading towards the "Hut For Unclean Women" and that's why I'm so bitchy. My wrath (at this time of the month) is usually focused on whiners, people who, in my opinion, have it too easy and complain about stupid little things. I have two close friends who drive suburbans and are also stay-at-home-moms. Mind you, their kids all go to school all day long. They call me at work and want me to help them figure out where to plant the $200 worth of flowers they bought at Home Depot today. "I won't be able to get any rest until I figure this out!" I just think, "You've GOT to be kidding me." There is no way I could stay home, and really, why should I? Both my kids are in school all day. I'd probably just grow fat. Both my friends have kids from hell. Spoiled rotten little witches. They buy only expensive brand name clothing and shoes, and they all have closets over-loading with clothes. When shopping recently with Courtney and Kendall, 16 and 12, I had to remind them that there was another world, one where everyone else but them lived. The response was "All in know is now I have a sweater that matches my shoes." My other friend's son who is 12 was at my house and I thought we'd watch Seabiscuit. Well, he says "It's PG13 and I'm only 12 so I can't watch it." What a f**** weiner! I'm sorry, like I said, I'm unclean and full of bitch. I'll probably feel differently next week but humor me now!

I have heard SUV's and minivans are both dangerous in wrecks because they have a different standard for the side panels than they do on regular cars which makes the sides more likely to cave in and kill people, or so I saw on one news show:(

vlasak-I hear you. I hate people w/ no perspective. I especially hate it when they have children w/ even less perspective.

vlasak said:
OK, I'm heading towards the "Hut For Unclean Women" and that's why I'm so bitchy. My wrath (at this time of the month) is usually focused on whiners, people who, in my opinion, have it too easy and complain about stupid little things. I have two close friends who drive suburbans and are also stay-at-home-moms. Mind you, their kids all go to school all day long. They call me at work and want me to help them figure out where to plant the $200 worth of flowers they bought at Home Depot today. "I won't be able to get any rest until I figure this out!" I just think, "You've GOT to be kidding me." There is no way I could stay home, and really, why should I? Both my kids are in school all day. I'd probably just grow fat. Both my friends have kids from hell. Spoiled rotten little witches. They buy only expensive brand name clothing and shoes, and they all have closets over-loading with clothes. When shopping recently with Courtney and Kendall, 16 and 12, I had to remind them that there was another world, one where everyone else but them lived. The response was "All in know is now I have a sweater that matches my shoes." My other friend's son who is 12 was at my house and I thought we'd watch Seabiscuit. Well, he says "It's PG13 and I'm only 12 so I can't watch it." What a f**** weiner! I'm sorry, like I said, I'm unclean and full of bitch. I'll probably feel differently next week but humor me now!

Don't feel bad, I know what you mean. I'm a stay at home mom (but with no money to throw around, I stay home because with 2 preschoolers the babysitting fee would eat up whatever I make at whatever hapless job I could get) and I feel the same way about people like that. I have also known some who work fancy jobs who are the same way. Can't see a PG 13 at 12?? Mine have always watched them and have had no problem. The clothes thing is bad, I hate the name brand hang-ups. 200 bucks for flowers? What I couldn 't do with that! Then they call the pound on the first dog or cat that walks by their yard afraid they'll dig up their fine investment. Weiners is right!

Their whole life is like, aren't my flowers pretty, my lawn is perfect, isn't my car clean, my clothes are X brand, see how my towels match my curtains but you can't use them they're for decoration! My placemats match my sink, but you can't eat on them! Sometimes I think putting importance on such things is a substitution for having no real meaning to your life:|

Last edited:
I also hate minivans... in all honesty, theres not one thing I like about them. Soccer/hockey moms and bumper stickers aside... Theyre hard to deal with in parking lots, you cant see through the tinted windows, they block visions, the drivers are often careless and paying more attention to whats going on inside their car than on the road in front of them, it also seems as though the people who drive minivans have that 'my car is bigger and therefore I have the right of way cause Ill crush you' attitude, which is bogus altogether but bleh... Theres nothing, absolutely nothing I like about them. At all. Nothing.

Although I did see this minivan one time that was lowered, with lights and a spoiler... and as nauseated as I was, I couldnt stop laughing, t'was the greatest/worst thing all at the same time.

And SUVs are even worse... see, there are true SUVs, and then there is the common SUV. True SUVs are the Jeep-style 4x4s that are meant for off-roading. Those things are both safe and not safe in that they have more chassis support to prevent crushings, but that makes impacts harder on drivers, but at least if they flip over the occupants wont be completely smushed (assuming they have rollbars inside)... However, those off-road vehicles are vastly less common than things like the RAV-4, and all those other ridiculous things that people drive... First off, if it doesnt have a rollbar, one certified for safety, youre lulling yourself into a false sense of security; these things are not, in any way, shape, or form, tanks. Theyre not. You flip that sucker over, and you can consider your life as you know it to be completely forfeit. And just because cars are bigger by no means equates to them being more safe. Cars, now (unlike the 50s) are designed to crush, you hit something, and your car smushes up like a sponge. Its a way of transforming the impulse/enertia energy into a different form of energy that won't result in a direct impact on the driver - like, for instance, a steering column to the chest. Isntead of, for example, a 5000 newton impact to the chest (like in the fifties, which would probably break your sternum (albeit the number was arbitrary, but the point stands)) you might only take 2000 newtons; still going to hurt like a bitch, bruise your ribs and maybe youre heart, but its not going to turn your body into goo. Yet, people, stalwart and stupid as ever, still choose to drive these things like they have priority one on the road, and that nothing bad could possibly ever happen to them that they couldnt sue for and make up their losses. Well, fact is, it can, and it irks me to no end that people can be so wrecklessly ignorant, not just of their own safety, but that of others who they endanger.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I also hate minivans... in all honesty, theres not one thing I like about them. Soccer/hockey moms and bumper stickers aside... Theyre hard to deal with in parking lots, you cant see through the tinted windows, they block visions, the drivers are often careless and paying more attention to whats going on inside their car than on the road in front of them, it also seems as though the people who drive minivans have that 'my car is bigger and therefore I have the right of way cause Ill crush you' attitude, which is bogus altogether but bleh... Theres nothing, absolutely nothing I like about them. At all. Nothing.

Although I did see this minivan one time that was lowered, with lights and a spoiler... and as nauseated as I was, I couldnt stop laughing, t'was the greatest/worst thing all at the same time.

And SUVs are even worse... see, there are true SUVs, and then there is the common SUV. True SUVs are the Jeep-style 4x4s that are meant for off-roading. Those things are both safe and not safe in that they have more chassis support to prevent crushings, but that makes impacts harder on drivers, but at least if they flip over the occupants wont be completely smushed (assuming they have rollbars inside)... However, those off-road vehicles are vastly less common than things like the RAV-4, and all those other ridiculous things that people drive... First off, if it doesnt have a rollbar, one certified for safety, youre lulling yourself into a false sense of security; these things are not, in any way, shape, or form, tanks. Theyre not. You flip that sucker over, and you can consider your life as you know it to be completely forfeit. And just because cars are bigger by no means equates to them being more safe. Cars, now (unlike the 50s) are designed to crush, you hit something, and your car smushes up like a sponge. Its a way of transforming the impulse/enertia energy into a different form of energy that won't result in a direct impact on the driver - like, for instance, a steering column to the chest. Isntead of, for example, a 5000 newton impact to the chest (like in the fifties, which would probably break your sternum (albeit the number was arbitrary, but the point stands)) you might only take 2000 newtons; still going to hurt like a bitch, bruise your ribs and maybe youre heart, but its not going to turn your body into goo. Yet, people, stalwart and stupid as ever, still choose to drive these things like they have priority one on the road, and that nothing bad could possibly ever happen to them that they couldnt sue for and make up their losses. Well, fact is, it can, and it irks me to no end that people can be so wrecklessly ignorant, not just of their own safety, but that of others who they endanger.

You wrote this to punish me didn't you? You must have known I had to read the entire thing and now my head is spinning!

If you guys cant discuss your likes and dislikes without offending the members here, this thread will be closed. It's fine if you dont like something, you have every right to say you dont like it. But please dont class people together in stereotypes, it offends.

Sicy said:
But please dont class people together in stereotypes, it offends.

Hmmm. I'm 20, single, don't have any kids and I drive a minivan. Granted, it belongs to my dad, and it's the same age as I am ... but it's the only car I've ever driven and I feel very comfortable with it. It's only a small one (as they were back in 1984) and I wouldn't want to drive one of those bulky Voyagers or anything, but it still seats 7 and would feel much more comfortable at a kid's soccer game that in the uni carpark where I leave it.

Sometimes I feel a bit daggy driving it, especially when I give my friends rides ... But really it's no worse than their equally old and dilapidated hatchbacks. In fact I quite like it because I can take a lot of people along, I can fit in a bike or something just as big, and if I lock the keys in the car I can always climb in through the back. Plus I think it makes me look like a much more respectable driver than many people my age driving modified V8 cars ...

Modified V8's!! :ohmy:
What about ricers?!?!?! :lol:

On the original topic for a second, do you guys not have the problem of say Double D trucks and so on? I find it curious how people complain about a certain car type and the driver (which I am more than guilty of I know) yet never utter a word about the very real dangers of sharing a suburban road with a 36 wheeler double trailer. What is worse? A van/4WD or a bulk haulage truck? :huh: When my dad was teaching me to drive, he gave me some sound advice. He said there is no changing the danger of certain vehicles like large 4WD's and vans as well as trucks, so do the reponsible thing and adapt your driving to accomodate their somewhat of a disability in their vehicle of choice and do what you can to avoid them. You may have to move out of their way and often you might be in the right, legally speaking. But what does that really matter when it is the difference between safe driving and preventing an accident? Admit defeat and drive knowing you are a safer driver for it.
Adapt your thinking. Add them to the list of existing hazards which every driver faces. Treat them like all other hazards like children, animals, randomly reckless drivers we all encounter every now and then, accident scenes, unfamiliar territory, poorly designed intersections (like verte mentioned) and so on.
Every driver has a responsibility to others on the road and as right as you might be, you can't ignore that. Our impatience at certain stereotypes is a hazard others have to adapt to as well. While we might be rueing the slow soccer mum in front of us, our annoyance can lead to lapses in concentration and can then be a hazard to person X in the right lane.

Anyways...I am glad this thread wasn't about Holden drivers. :D

I am a mother of two in my thirties and have never owned a mini-van. However, last year we bought a Chevy Trailbrazer that seats seven. I know it's a lot bigger than what I need, but we mainly bought it because it's 4 wheel drive, we live in snow country. Compared to other people on the road, I think I am a pretty good driver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom