I hate LOTR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
There, I said it. The books are way too long, and they bore the hell out of me. The movie was basically journey-fight-journey-fight, and I hated all the characters. I'm just not too big on the fantasy genre, I guess.

Must seem very narrow-minded of me, eh? Different strokes, I guess. Anyone feel the same? I guess not. :p

well I never read the books, but the 1st movie didn't do anything for me, sure it was an alright movie, but I guess it wasn't what I was expecting...and I still haven't seen the 2nd movie.

I wouldn't say I hate it, I can take it or leave it though

I love the books and the movies. In fact, I just watched the DVD of the first movie today (and the commentary...:uhoh: ).

But like you said...different strokes. Not everyone's got to like everything. :shrug:

I love this board.

I got completely bashed at a movie board for saying I had no interest in LOTR and never saw any of the movies.

I read the Hobbit in school and loved it, but not the LOTR books. I have a huge interest in Medieval Literature, whether it was written back then or written recently and just sent in Medieval times.

I guess, like you said, different stokes. :shrug:

I would love to one day sit down and read every single thing J.R.R. Tolkien ever wrote.

arw9797 said:

I would love to one day sit down and read every single thing J.R.R. Tolkien ever wrote.

This is what I'm trying to do right now. I just finished rereading LOTR and I'm about halfway through the Silmarillion. I find it amazing that one guy wrote all of this.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with LOTR love...:uhoh:

Ohhhh...

LOTR (one of my all time fave books)

:drool:

I remember watching the cartoon (fave character Gandalf/Frodo) waaaaay back in primary school (and loved it), and reading and hearing of the famous story/books years after that, later reading the books (fave character Aragorn) and a bit later the Hobbit, and seeing the movies (fave character Legolas). Loved all 3 versions of the story. I ordered Silmarillion via internet a few weeks ago (woo woo! great read) and I'm considering looking at the libraries to see what else had been translated from Tolkien.

(and that's enough LOTR babbling before I creep people out lol...)

People who said you haven't read the books or seen the movie, will you do it someday? I suppose it helps if you're a fantasy fan to like it.

Last edited:
Why wasn't I born as a hobbit? I ask myself this often... I would make a great hobbit. I wanna live in the Shire so bad! :p
An elf would be ok too..

yertle, tolkien can be overly-descriptive in sections and you either warm to the characters or not...but fantasy is a huge genre.Not everyone's idea of a good read, but I just love the landscapes , the fantastical creatures, the magic ...oh yeah, and the romance. There is usually some hero or other( Samwise Gamgee for instance:))
But don't hate old JRR and his ramblings and try another author.

I see LOTR kinda differently. See, I used to hang out on IRC a lot, and almost all my friends had nicknames based on LOTR. I just smiled and nodded, because I found it hard to justify spending the time reading the books just to see what everyone's character was like. So, I'm thankful that the movies came out, because it saved me a lot of reading.

I'm lazy :p

I just read the first post in the thread and not the others yet, but all I can say is...FINALLY! My goodness! I thought I was the only one in the world! I have never read the books and saw the first movie with one of my friends last year (who is a LOTR FREAK!). I think those were the most boring 3 hours of my life. ugh! You couldn't pay me enough to go see the second one!

... I fell asleep to the first chapter of the Hobbit on audiotape while I was reading the book.
Wasn't my fault really! :wink: that British guy who was narrating the audio tape talks like his shirt was stuffed and it was boring :|.

The movie was alright although I'm more of a Potter-head. :lol:

I've tried several times to read the LOTR books, but they simply put me to sleep after a few pages - and this is from a bookaholic. Tolkein has to be the most overrated author on the planet. I did like the movies though. Once I didn't have to plod through all of Tolkein's meandering prose I discovered there were actually some interesting characters and themes underneath it all.

Ok. Clearly there's something that some of us see in Tolkein's writing, so while you're free to love him or hate him as you wish, I don't think it's fair to call him overrated just because you don't connect with it the way others do. To be fair, it did take me a little while to get into his style, but now I can't imagine it being any different.

Why do I keep coming in this thread? :crazy:

I'm sorry if I offended you. :hug: Sometimes I go into opinionated mode and just can't stop myself. For what it's worth I have an older sister who is much, much smarter than me and she loves the LOTR books. You're right, it is just a matter of taste and not really worth arguing about.

Bono's shades said:
I'm sorry if I offended you. :hug: Sometimes I go into opinionated mode and just can't stop myself. For what it's worth I have an older sister who is much, much smarter than me and she loves the LOTR books. You're right, it is just a matter of taste and not really worth arguing about.

:yes: I'm like that too. I tend to be very opinionated and sometimes a bit of a control freak. To each his/her own. I'm just glad that I'm not the only person on the planet who isn't totally gaga over the LOTR craze (I mean no offense by that. It's just that the whole situation has left me feeling like a bit of a freak! :lol: ).

:hug: to all!

Sicy said:
I got completely bashed at a movie board for saying I had no interest in LOTR and never saw any of the movies.

Isn't that kinda like going to a U2 board and saying you had no interest in U2 and that you'd never heard anything by them? Really is a pretty funny thing to say at a cinema board.

brettig said:

Isn't that kinda like going to a U2 board and saying you had no interest in U2 and that you'd never heard anything by them? Really is a pretty funny thing to say at a cinema board.

Well...It's not like it was exclusively a LOTR board.

Back
Top Bottom