I hate grocery shopping!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I confess I love swiffers...
I clean the hardwood floor in my bedroom at my stepmoms house all the time... :drool:

And I go shopping with my mom, and I don't know, it's pretty cool lately. Sometimes I wear my sunglasses when I'm cruising down the lanes. Hahahaha. But it's nice, because mom's getting older, and can always use a hand.

I respect strong independent women alot, I know a few. But I'm glad she's starting to let me help her a little more. Besides it won't be long until I go away to college, so maybe that's getting to her...

Anyways, about shopping...
I..

I'm troubled, because I want to try new things, but I don't know what. I just found out about those ready to eat shrimp that you thaw out in water for a few minutes, and then eat. They are good, and very edible...

People are weird at stores, though... totally different environment. Especially at different times of the day. It's like the tide and the ocean, sort of. For some reason, I like going groccery shopping - kind of like what the 16 year old said about being helpful. Same thing.

I don't know why - maybe I should work at a groccery store- but... pushing a cart has been addicting lately. I don't know why, manipulating an object like that is fun.

= =

Does... (this is going to sound weird)

Does anyone have special cart moves?
I don't know, I... make up turns and different ways to rotate the cart. It's like an obstacle course sometimes

And I have always loved obstacle courses :D

You ladies are making a terrific point. Living alone, it's unavoidable that some things you buy will go bad before you can finish them. I don't remember the last time I made it through a whole carton of soy milk, a whole jar of any condiment, or even a whole loaf of bread. I buy the containers as small as possible, but unless you're willing to eat sandwiches nonstop for a week, stuff will eventually go to waste. Which leads us back to...less money for CDs. :down:

HeartlandGirl said:
You ladies are making a terrific point. Living alone, it's unavoidable that some things you buy will go bad before you can finish them. I don't remember the last time I made it through a whole carton of soy milk, a whole jar of any condiment, or even a whole loaf of bread. I buy the containers as small as possible, but unless you're willing to eat sandwiches nonstop for a week, stuff will eventually go to waste. Which leads us back to...less money for CDs. :down:

When I lived alone, I used to by a loaf of bread, divide it in 3 and put 2 parts in the freezer. Fresh bread whenever needed :)

The key to good grcery shopping: A good grocery store!

I have lived in all parts of the country and LOVE to judge (for my own silly mind) grocery store chains. It is an odd hobby...but who ever said I was not "odd"???

MY FAVORITES:

1. WEGMAN'S - I could spend hours in this polace (and knowing I am single and do not have too many friends where I live...I do. Wegmans was recently voted "best Employer" by Fortune Magazine, and can e found in New York (state), Pennsylvania, Virginia and in a few weeks, in Maryland. Outside of the robust selection of items that you cannot find in other groceries, they also have the best produce, a great "natural foods" area - and a CAFE. They have professional chefs that make meals, and have a nice eating area. They also have great subs and pizza (its like a little food court) so you do not shop hungry. I haven't seen an unhappy employee, and if there is no line, they greet you at the head of their checkout area. In order to compete with the Wallmarts, they have recently reduced their prices too. PERFECTION in a grocery!

2. Trader Joe's - Much smaller locations with primarily "alternative" choices. I REALLY wish I lived closer to one. They have a good selection of produce and unique items..and an amazing "store brand." They are all over the country, mostly in larger markets (L.A. - Chicago - Philly). Another great employer.

Chains I have been to to come to this conclusion: Shop Rite, Giant, Cub, Rainbow, Ralphs, Safeway, Country Market, ACME, Albertsons, Kroger, Piggly-Wiggly, Supervalu, Publix, Winn-Dixie, Whole Foods (would be third), Food Lion, Hy-Vee, Dominicks.

I live VERY close to a Trader Joe's, and many of my friends swear by it. The time or two I've been there, however, I wasn't impressed with their selection. Great place for finding obscure items, but they are pricey. There's no way I could do all my shopping there.

My favorite grocery store ever would have to be Earth Fare in Athens, GA. Tons of organic food and hard-to-find stuff. Perhaps it is all about the store, because when I think of grocery shopping there, I get visions of angels playing harps.

I love cleaning supplies....:drool:

But I admit, I'm not like most women who love to shop. I will need something specific and then go to the store or to the shop and buy it. I hate just walking around aimlessly and coming home with nothing. It's like a big failure for me.

I loved Trader Joe's. It is pricey but their foods are organic and hard to come by nowadays. Americans really should start focusing on buying meats and chickens and vegetables that are organically grown without pesticides and antibiotics. It's those ingredients that harm us. AND believe it or not, you don't know the ingredients that US puts in foods, and the FDA allows. The majority of foods in the US have MSG, which is fattening and addicting. Which is why you want those Cheez-its right now. Look on the box, it probably says, Ingredients: SPICES.
And MSG could be in those SPICES. Who knows.

Well, I'm sorry for all you people who hate it

But it was a lot of fun. I went with my stepmom today, and I was pushing (the good stuff lol.... no, not really. Unless you could say that I was selling myself, which is like a drug, for I can be addicting....(male chauvenist comment of the day)).

Anyhow, we got one of those little small carts, and it was like a sports car! It handled so well.

People are always so glum at my supermarket, and I don't know... perhaps it is my anticonformity thing... I don't know, it's a very calm atmosphere where there isn't much pressure, so maybe that's why I like it. Do good looking women often go shopping on Monday afternoons? Or was today a special exception?

Had another one of those awkward moments though - at the register... I don't know... it's odd when there is a bagger there. I like it's better when it's just me and the cashire and whoever I go shopping with. More... intimate, lol. I don't know, it's just strange when someone is bagging the grocceries

It's like "Well... .... ...I guess I'll just stand here.... doing nothing..." trying to look like I'm interested or something. But today at least there was good scenery...

Oh yeah, and it's even weirder when sometimes I think about helping the bagger. I don't want to be really odd and try to outdo the guy... but... it's like I want to help him, and not just watch.

I guess it's all about wheather it is appropriate to help, you know? do we have a lot of grocceries, or can one person do it themselves.........

Oh yeah, - and today, it was really odd

Because there were two baggers, and literally an armful of groccery bags. I almost didn't need two arms to carry them from the car to the house when we got home. So imagine two, strong, young adults, manipulting bags with tremendous grace, filling up a small cart with little grocceries...

And I couldn't start a conversation with them
I tried, sort of. Thought about it.

But it was just weird :yes:

Back
Top Bottom