I hate fake "have a nice day!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Don't you HATE it when people say this when they don't really mean it, just to piss you off? They know you're mad and they do it just to be fake sarcastic and make you even madder. They know it, though they can always pretend they were serious. To me, saying this when you know someone is fuming and is NOT going to have a nice day, it's not friendly, it's not helpful, it's annoying, and should not be done. But I honestly don't believe most of the people who do this is sour situations mean it anyway, that's what I'm getting at. I think most of you have been in a situation where you know what I mean.

Last edited:
:uhoh: I do that after I have fights with customers and win...it's :evil: but it's just my little revenge for them thinking I'm stupid or that I'm trying to screw them out of their money.

I hate certain types of businesses that force their employees to use a stupid catch phrase EVERY single time they have contact with you. You know the employee feels like a dumbass and doesn't really mean it.

The worst one has got to be the MGM Grand in Vegas. You ask for directions to the buffet and they tell you to have a GRAND Day! You call and ask for extra towels...have a GRAND day! Even if you have an argument with a snotty front desk clerk, he still has to tell you, with a fake smile of course, "have a GRAND day!"

:mad:

I didn't mind the last hotel we stayed in though...they kept telling me to "have a beautiful day!" But I'm sure if I wasn't a U2 fan, that would have been really obnoxious! :wink:

I respond with "U2" :)
It's so fake " have a nice day"
Another phrase that goes with that now is" did you find everything you looked
for?" I should say " No, actually I was looking for body parts in your freezer
section"

Bono's American Wife said:
I hate certain types of businesses that force their employees to use a stupid catch phrase EVERY single time they have contact with you.

:uhoh:

We don't have a catchphrase but we have to follow a certain procedure everytime we speak to our customers. I'm always on the fitting rooms in work and I always have to give them a little tag and take them to the fitting room and then tell them that there "is a bell if you need any assistance". I feel like an idiot saying that so I tell them I'm there if they need anything. I hope I don't come across as fake. I usually talk to the customers so much they are beginning to change and I'm still gabbing to them. :shifty: :lol:

I hate it too, but as I work in tech support/customer service, we can't just say "ok, bye" and hang up the phone. We have to at least say thank you (or usually, you're welcome, since the person you helped says thank you). I usually don't say "have a nice day" unless it's someone I know/help frequently or if they say it to me first. I often have to give customers news they don't want ("we don't support that product"..."you're machine has a virus and your jack was turned off") but the normal ones who have enough sense to realize that whatever they're calling about its not that big of a deal or not my problem are usually pleasant enough and I appologize for not being able to help (even though yes, I'm not sorry b/c what they want is not part of my job) and thank them for their call.

Schmeg said:
:uhoh: I do that after I have fights with customers and win...it's :evil: but it's just my little revenge for them thinking I'm stupid or that I'm trying to screw them out of their money.

See, that's what I mean, I think in most cases it's intentional and hatefully inspired (no offense to you personally) The general fake have a nice day doesn't bug me, I expect that even though I don't think anyone really means it, but it's the ones used for sarcasm and to get to someone that make me so sick. Everyone knows you don't mean it. The worst thing is the have a 'GREAT' day which is what people trying to piss you off usually do. My brother literally jumped a counter at a florist shop while trying to order flowers for his wedding when someone did that to him after he complained about a mistake. His fiancee had to literally pull him away from the cashier before the cops were called. I also know a blind, yes, blind woman who grabbed a customer service rep across the counter by the shirt collar after he fought with her then fed her the 'have a nice day ma'am' shit. One day, somebody is going to shoot somebody over that. I have heard of at least one case of it, it was at a McDonald's. It does not pay to piss anyone off, and could not be good for business. What's the best thing to say, I used to say, and I've seen others use "I'm sorry you feel that way" to all the complaints, with a sad face. It usually makes them feel bad instead of getting them even madder.

I can understand how someone would feel offended when questioned over money, but when I have done it, it's not the cashier personally I feel did anything, it's usually the computer system which fails to enter the sale price of things, or the store itself. The girl is only ringing things up. However, I'm sorry to say I have had stupid cashiers, like the one who added on my coupons instead of taking them off, and the ones who don't give me back my cash back from my debit card and I have to wait for the next customer, or the manager, so they can open the drawer again.

Sicy said:
I hate "Take Care" even more.

Yes, especially when it's so automatic and not meant! I also hate "Hi, how are you today?" when I know they don't really want to know. But I have cured some people by actually telling them all my pains and problems. Hey, they asked! ;) :lol: But some of them are so programmed to expect he usual "I'm fine" they will actually say "that's good!" even though that's not what I said! I just don't like fakey niceness. You can be nice without all the phoney lines.

Your avatar is adorable........... :laugh:

Thanks! :cute:

Last edited:
"Have a nice day,? adds a touch of civility to our otherwise impersonal and rushed world. Said with a smile and eye contact makes for a more pleasant interpersonal interaction.

Conversely, I find the formulaic questions more bothersome - like "how are you" when the person has no interest in how you are doing.

U2Kitten said:

What's the best thing to say, I used to say, and I've seen others use "I'm sorry you feel that way" to all the complaints, with a sad face.

Along these lines....we're actually trained not to use this phrase. Instead we have to say "I'm sorry that happened" and not ever use "you" even if you're appologizing for something not your fault. Otherwise, it puts blame on the customer. If we say "I'm sorry you feel that way..." the customer hears "I'm sorry YOU feel that way, but too bad since it's your fault and your problem." But if we say "I'm sorry that happened." the customer hears "I'm sorry that happened. We screwed up, let's fix it..."

Sorry, I know it's nitpicky, I just finished a new training session on customer service :crack:

U2Kitten said:

I also hate "Hi, how are you today?" when I know they don't really want to know. But I have cured some people by actually telling them all my pains and problems. Hey, they asked! ;) :lol:

Like I said, I just finished another training program and we were taught NOT to say "how are you?" for the exact reason! Sometimes people aren't good and if they're really talkitive, they waste time by going on and on....Instead, if the customer asks, we're supposed to say "Fine, thank you. Now how can I help you?..."

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Along these lines....we're actually trained not to use this phrase. Instead we have to say "I'm sorry that happened" and not ever use "you" even if you're appologizing for something not your fault. Otherwise, it puts blame on the customer. If we say "I'm sorry you feel that way..." the customer hears "I'm sorry YOU feel that way, but too bad since it's your fault and your problem." But if we say "I'm sorry that happened." the customer hears "I'm sorry that happened. We screwed up, let's fix it..."

When I've heard it used, it's usually because some guy is ranting about how much he hates the store and will never shop there again. So in that case, it's best to say "I'm sorry you feel that way" because he is the one feeling that way. Saying "I'm sorry that happened" if the employee or the company don't feel what he said really did happen is accepting blame.

For example, my Mom was working at a semi fancy dept. store in the mall. There was an elderly black lady over to the side of her register cubicle, looking at things and not in line, never saying anything. Then 2 ladies walked up to my mom and handed her the things to be rung up so she started helping them. Well, all of a sudden the old black lady starts ranting, I was here first, you're prejudiced in this town, I'm gonna sue, on and on, but she was honestly never really in line! The other 2 ladies, when hearing this, were shocked and stepped back and told my mom to wait on the old lady first. She did, but she still went to the back office and complained about my mom. In that case, saying "I'm sorry it happened" would be admitting that a racial slight had happened, leading to a possible Denny's type lawsuit, when my mom didn't do anything intentional to her at all so the store was not liable.

Sorry, I know it's nitpicky, I just finished a new training session on customer service :crack:

I get nitpicky too. I think it's because I was in so many of those 'training classes' when I was your age that now whenever I see someone using a 'tactic' from them on me I feel kind of offended, even condescended upon or something.

I'm with NBC I don't understand when people greet you in the hall or something as they pass you by with a "how are you?" as they keep walking on. A question is not a greeting unless you stop to actually hear a response.:huh:

Anyways...

You all have a good day and take care!:wink:

U2Kitten said:
See, that's what I mean, I think in most cases it's intentional and hatefully inspired (no offense to you personally) The general fake have a nice day doesn't bug me, I expect that even though I don't think anyone really means it, but it's the ones used for sarcasm and to get to someone that make me so sick. Everyone knows you don't mean it. The worst thing is the have a 'GREAT' day which is what people trying to piss you off usually do. My brother literally jumped a counter at a florist shop while trying to order flowers for his wedding when someone did that to him after he complained about a mistake. His fiancee had to literally pull him away from the cashier before the cops were called. I also know a blind, yes, blind woman who grabbed a customer service rep across the counter by the shirt collar after he fought with her then fed her the 'have a nice day ma'am' shit. One day, somebody is going to shoot somebody over that. I have heard of at least one case of it, it was at a McDonald's. It does not pay to piss anyone off, and could not be good for business. What's the best thing to say, I used to say, and I've seen others use "I'm sorry you feel that way" to all the complaints, with a sad face. It usually makes them feel bad instead of getting them even madder.

I can understand how someone would feel offended when questioned over money, but when I have done it, it's not the cashier personally I feel did anything, it's usually the computer system which fails to enter the sale price of things, or the store itself. The girl is only ringing things up. However, I'm sorry to say I have had stupid cashiers, like the one who added on my coupons instead of taking them off, and the ones who don't give me back my cash back from my debit card and I have to wait for the next customer, or the manager, so they can open the drawer again.
No offense taken, this is an interesting thread; I never thought it annoyed people when it WASN'T hatefully inspired! Usually when people leave my store I am genuinely hoping they have a nice day, because the area is beautiful and it's so easy to find something great to do. On the other hand...

When someone is screaming at me because I wouldn't take their expired coupon, or because I wouldn't give them cash back on a return when they didn't have their receipt, or because they tried to return 2-year-old nasty sneakers that "didn't hold up well," after I have tried politely explaining what I could do (never using the phrase "I can't" ) and telling them I understand they're frustrated but..., they're going to get a little bit of sarcasm. It may not be good business, and it might piss people off, but it's better my temper comes out subtly there than I end up screaming back at them.

"I'm sorry you feel that way" only fires some people up more. Usually I am NOT sorry they feel that way; I am pissed off as hell that they're screaming at me for following rules I did not make. That technically equates it with the fake "Have a nice day." It's not about being questioned over money, it's about people treating people like absolute crap just because they're on the other side of the counter and thinking it's perfectly fine.

I have had stupid cashiers work for me (I have BEEN a stupid cashier, too, I confess!). These people don't last long (I didn't). Most cashiers are NOT stupid (I got better), they are typically students trying to earn some money for books, rent, booze, whatever, it doesn't really matter; they're not schmoozing off their parents while they're learning responsibility, and they handle an enormous amount of cash, checks, and credit cards on a daily basis, so they should be given more credit than they usually are by the general public.

A lot of places require you to greet people, too. I hate when "Hi, how are you? Hi, how ya doin'? How's everyone today?" becomes monotonous, but that's my job. Our customers are surveyed on their in-store experience and if they're not all greeted, we lose points, and I don't get a raise. If people don't answer me, I will follow them around the store until they do.

U2Kitten said:

OK, I know I'm probably going to come off as bitchy, but here goes anyway. U2Kitten, I think your brother and your blind woman acquaintence need some serious chill lessons. I'm sorry but that kind of rage about a comment, no matter how snide, is completely unwarranted. Both of those instances border on physical assault and may even have moved into assault territory. To me, that kind of response is indicative of a far bigger problem than some clerk telling either one to "have a GREAT day" or a "have a nice day, ma'am."

Strange that we decry violence, but we get pissed off at at a sales clerk or customer service rep. for saying "have a nice day." How on earth do we ever expect people to stop killing each other when we feel the need to leap over the counter and attack the clerk at the flower shop? I don't care how big of mistake was made on the flower order, or how snide the clerk's tone, no one deserves to be assaulted for being rude. (Same deal for the blind woman, and being blind is no excuse at all for attacking someone.)

Think about it. People who are store clerks, customer service reps -- really all sorts of jobs dealing with the public -- have very little control over their jobs and they deal with a whole lot of nasty people all day long. The "have a nice day" comment (or variations thereof) are often mandated by their employer; the tone -- well, it's often their only way of venting. So they get snappy sometimes. Big deal. Just be glad they didn't say the comment they really wanted to say.

And the "how are you?" non-question is merely an acknowledgment that you exist. It's a pleasantry (defined as a polite social remark). No, the person who asks that question does not expect any answer other than "Fine. Thank you." (and perhaps an "and how are you?" is also acceptable). It's kinda like the human equivalent of the dog butt sniff. Would you really rather just have someone grunt as they walk by? Accept it for what it is, you'll be much happier.

Personally I am so sick of it all I'd rather hear "Fuck you, bitch" than some fake courtesy they don't mean or are using for spite. I can't stand phoneyness. So if you want to cuss me out, say it to my face. Of course I know people can't do that because of their jobs, and to me it's so stupid the way people get forced to say fake stuff. I also understand, as Schmeg said, that some employers have 'spies' 'shopping' you for 'friendliness' points and to me that's bizarre. :tsk: Once they even told us to always say how cute a kid was even if it was ugly. To me, all nice comments start to lose their meaning when it becomes routine or required. Why can't a simple "hi" and "thank you" suffice? Since most of us have had jobs where we are told those things, or have heard it from someone else, everyone knows it's only fake anyway, so what's the point?

I think it's just being polite. :shrug: What would society come to if we really DID go around saying "Fuck you, bitch?" That's something I would never say to anyone, anyway, but ESPECIALLY not at work!

A store relies on customers. Why would you go back to a store where you don't feel welcome, or said, "Fuck you!" when you left? How do you (people in general, no particular "you" intended here) feel when you walk into a store and there's three employees hanging out at the cash register who don't even acknowledge you? Why do you want to give them your hard-earned money?

The fake "Have a nice day" is rude when it's said out of spite, I admit that and I don't believe it's good customer service. But if your entire day is RUINED because you got the wrong change back, or the cashier wouldn't take your expired coupon, and there's no way you could POSSIBLY have a nice day after that, I wish I had your life because I have other things to worry about!

Last edited:
Schmeg said:

No offense taken, this is an interesting thread; I never thought it annoyed people when it WASN'T hatefully inspired! Usually when people leave my store I am genuinely hoping they have a nice day, because the area is beautiful and it's so easy to find something great to do. On the other hand...

When someone is screaming at me because I wouldn't take their expired coupon, or because I wouldn't give them cash back on a return when they didn't have their receipt, or because they tried to return 2-year-old nasty sneakers that "didn't hold up well," after I have tried politely explaining what I could do (never using the phrase "I can't" ) and telling them I understand they're frustrated but..., they're going to get a little bit of sarcasm. It may not be good business, and it might piss people off, but it's better my temper comes out subtly there than I end up screaming back at them.

"I'm sorry you feel that way" only fires some people up more. Usually I am NOT sorry they feel that way; I am pissed off as hell that they're screaming at me for following rules I did not make. That technically equates it with the fake "Have a nice day." It's not about being questioned over money, it's about people treating people like absolute crap just because they're on the other side of the counter and thinking it's perfectly fine.

I have had stupid cashiers work for me (I have BEEN a stupid cashier, too, I confess!). These people don't last long (I didn't). Most cashiers are NOT stupid (I got better), they are typically students trying to earn some money for books, rent, booze, whatever, it doesn't really matter; they're not schmoozing off their parents while they're learning responsibility, and they handle an enormous amount of cash, checks, and credit cards on a daily basis, so they should be given more credit than they usually are by the general public.

A lot of places require you to greet people, too. I hate when "Hi, how are you? Hi, how ya doin'? How's everyone today?" becomes monotonous, but that's my job. Our customers are surveyed on their in-store experience and if they're not all greeted, we lose points, and I don't get a raise. If people don't answer me, I will follow them around the store until they do.

I've never really thought about the irritation factor whenever people are told have a nice day and it's genuine. I'm a supervisor in a call center and I can tell you that we have specific closing in place that is to ask if the customer if needs any further assistance and to thank them for calling. I have to listen to reps calls each day for "quality assurance" and I can tell you that there are a great many reps that report to me that when they tell someone to have a great day they mean it as a courtesy and are saying by their choice not because it is part of their guidelines.

I have to take the escalated customer calls and have found that quite often when you say "I'm sorry you feel that way" it can just fire them up even more and will come back saying if I really felt sorry then I would do what they wanted or give thems something more. I have told an upset customer to have a nice day at the end of the call when we have come to some kind of resolution to their issue to kind of get a point across that you may have just sat there and screamed and yelled and cursed in my ear for 5 minutes straight but I'm not going to let you get the best of me and let them get the satisfaction of ruining my day when all am I doing is my job. Then there are times when I take a call and whether it's a compliment for someone or if it's an issue that I has come out on the good end and there was a resolution in which the customer has ended up being very happy and I have told them to have a great day as a courtesy.

I've found that customers can be just a sarcastic and they can go on a rant, make accusations, threats, curse and name call and not be held accountable for it whereas the employee cannot so if a rep says "have a nice day" to wrap up the situation and actually meant it a little sarcasm so be it.

Schmeg said:
I think it's just being polite. :shrug: What would society come to if we really DID go around saying "Fuck you, bitch?" That's something I would never say to anyone, anyway, but ESPECIALLY not at work!

A store relies on customers. Why would you go back to a store where you don't feel welcome, or said, "Fuck you!" when you left? How do you (people in general, no particular "you" intended here) feel when you walk into a store and there's three employees hanging out at the cash register who don't even acknowledge you? Why do you want to give them your hard-earned money?

The fake "Have a nice day" is rude when it's said out of spite, I admit that and I don't believe it's good customer service. But if your entire day is RUINED because you got the wrong change back, or the cashier wouldn't take your expired coupon, and there's no way you could POSSIBLY have a nice day after that, I wish I had your life because I have other things to worry about!

Amen sister!

Today I was at a family reunion, the first since my mom passed away, and everyone asked me "How are you"? I just wanted to get up and leave. I don't know if they realize how difficult a day it was for me. Of course I said fine, but I really wasn't. If they said something about my mom not being there with us, it would of made it a lot easier. But I guess they were not thinking.

tiny dancer said:
Today I was at a family reunion, the first since my mom passed away, and everyone asked me "How are you"? I just wanted to get up and leave. I don't know if they realize how difficult a day it was for me. Of course I said fine, but I really wasn't. If they said something about my mom not being there with us, it would of made it a lot easier. But I guess they were not thinking.

My mom died just a few months (3 months yesterday) ago too, tiny dancer, so I understand your feelings. I think many people just don't quite know what to say. They don't want to bring up painful memories for you, so they try to just gloss over it, and they don't realize that just hurts worse. And what should be happy times can be so very hard when you've lost someone dear.

I've been lucky to have a few people that I know when they ask that question they actually do want to know. One member of a band I like and post about on a message board devoted to that band read a post I made about how listening to his music as I drove to and from the hospital the day my mom died was so very helpful to me. He's emailed me a few times with his condolances and then to ask how I'm doing. It was so sweet and so genuine...made me cry.

I wish you all the best, tiny dancer. All I can say is try to hold onto the good memories of you mom. She would want you to be able to go on and be happy.

tiny dancer said:

They probably didn't know how to approach it with you tiny dancer. :hug: some people might not like people approaching the subject at all while others feel talking helps.

On customer service: Staff have to be nice to a customer no matter how rude they are, I'm lucky I'm no longer doing till work, my boss always puts me on the fitting rooms I enjoy picking outfits and just having a conversation with folk, it's easy. When you are working at the till you tend to get irrate customers. In my previous jobs even when people told me I couldn't count or I was stupid I had to be nice to them for a few reasons. We can't tell them they are wrong we basically have to smile and agree with everything they say. We have mystery shoppers, if we didn't treat them properly the store would fail their assessment, I would get in trouble, my boss would get in trouble. The shop would have to do another assessment. There is a lot of emphasis placedon customer service at our store. People here are complaining about people telling them to have a nice day because it is fake, if someone told you to "f**k off" wouldn't that really rile you up? At the end of the day a lot people who work in retail/ bars/ fast food places work there part time to help with their studies. I don't want to risk getting punched in the face or worse just because I have had a nasty customer and was equally as rude back to them.

When I am in a shop I expect to be treated the same way I treat my customers. If I have a stroppy sales assistant who rolls her eyes and looks like she can't be bothered in the slightest to help me it really annoys me, when you're at work you are getting paid to help the customers, they are what is keeping your shop in business you can't afford to lose them. When I go to a shop and I am treated nicely and told to have a nice day I leave with a smile on my face (and a lighter purse). It's nice to be nice as my Grandad used to say. :up:

When I used to work behind a counter, I'd say 'enjoy your day', and I meant it. I was known to smile too, because often it would prompt a person to smile back. Am I a freak of nature? Where do you live that there are only surly, rude employees?

indra said:

My mom died just a few months (3 months yesterday) ago too, tiny dancer, so I understand your feelings. I think many people just don't quite know what to say. They don't want to bring up painful memories for you, so they try to just gloss over it, and they don't realize that just hurts worse. And what should be happy times can be so very hard when you've lost someone dear.

Second time in this thread you have been RIGHT on, Indra! My mom died more than 14 years ago, and I STILL have a problem knowing what to say to people after they have a death close to them. You want to reach out, but I am not sure if there is an correct way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom