I hate calling people on the phone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am the exact same way! I thought I was the only one!:huh: I HATE calling anyone on the phone, especially my friends. I think the main reason is that I never know who's gonna pick up the phone. That's the part that scares me, Haha. It might be their mom, dad, brother, sister, grandmother, some random visitor...I just hate having to ask if I can talk to someone. ACCKCK!:madspit:

:banghead: great, so i read this thread this morning and this afternoon my supervisor gives me the ASSignment to cold-call apartment owners about our grant.

:censored: i hate cold calling more than anything...and worse, he is writing a script for me! :censored:

...I've got about an hour and a half before I make my really scary call....

If I never post after this evening you'll know I absolutely died of embarrassment. :huh:

I do not spend much time on the phone either.
When I was a teen, my parents offered to get me my own phone line in my bedroom........... I turned them down. Nope, no thank you.
I just about had a breakdown today when I had to call and reschedule a lab and Dr. appointment. :crack:
Why I am like I am? No clue.:shrug:

Sorry folks...I survived my phone call. I guess you still have to put up with me. ;)

I love talking to people on the phone...but if I have to make a call that isn't to a friend, I don't want anybody else around me. I like doing so in private, even, for example, to just call a store to see how late they are open. I'm weird that way, I guess.

Bonochick said:
but if I have to make a call that isn't to a friend, I don't want anybody else around me. I like doing so in private, even, for example, to just call a store to see how late they are open.

I'm the same way. I can't make phone calls unless I'm alone. :huh:

U2democrat said:
i did it. i made my phone call. done. phew!!!!!

Yay! Well two of us scaredy cats survived! We should have a party (online party that is...in person it would bring up a whole host of issues for me! :huh: ).

Glad you did it, U2democrat!

Bonochick said:
...if I have to make a call that isn't to a friend, I don't want anybody else around me. I like doing so in private, even, for example, to just call a store to see how late they are open. I'm weird that way, I guess.

me too. i have privacy issues, over the strangest non-important things.

at least i'm not the only one.

:up: U2dem! congrats!

U2democrat said:
I'm comfortable with any form of communication...except the phone. Why is this? How can I get over it?
Get a soulmate! Well, it worked for me, anyways. I still hate using the phone for the most part.

My family always teases me because I am so scared of picking up the phone. I have only talked on the phone for social reasons about twice in my life, and they called me. Phone calling is so awkward; when someone calls me to tell me something (like what time something is, or homework) there's a lot of nervous laughter and "okay"s on my part. I wonder if there is a name for fear of phones?

what really annoys me about phone conversations is people sometimes dont understand each other and it becomes very frustrating!!

also, it is scaringly easy to lie on the phone.

Last edited:
I was just checking around to see if there was an official name, and turns out there is, it's telephonophobia; a rather boring and predictable name, though. I was hoping for something a bit more interesting/scientific sounding. I dunno. Also, as I was searching around, I saw this website about treatment for it, and it just totally cracked me up. It says, "Treat Your Telephone Phobia ­Call Us Today"!

I don't like making business phone calls. I have no privacy at work and I feel self-conscious talking on the phone in my professional voice with everyone listening. I work with writers and often have to talk to some sorta famous people on the phone and I don't mind if my officemate isn't there but when she's there I get panicky and self-conscious because I guess I'm afraid of saying something dumb and having everyone hear me. It's really weird. Fortunately most writers prefer email anyway and I have absolutely no trouble with that medium. I can think through what I want to say and I can even be creative with it. I think I'm just more articulate typing than speaking, although you may all disagree with me, lol.

Huh, well, I actually don't mind the phone.

Most of the people I talk to are.... well...... perhaps people I don't want to be talking to, but still.

Typing, actually, I think that's when I reveal too much. I say way too much. When I speak, I am very effecient and rather tacit sometimes. But when I type, it's like I just go overboard and explain or think out as much as possible. It's something I have to watch out for......

and sometimes, I just totally loose it and spend hours writing posts and reading things, sensory overload. But maybe it's good for me, maybe I need a lot of sensory input like that.

.........Hmm.......

God I love this thread... I thought I was the only one.. I'M AFRAID OF THE PHONE!! ever since I was a little girl.. just the ring tone used to make my heart beat faster... Now i just ignore it... I hardly ever make a phoe call... I always procrastinate even the most important calls... and I hardly ever answer my phone.. I just let it ring.. if it's something important they'll leave a message...
My friends and family already know me... and i'm really lucky that they keep calling and stuff, otherwise I would have no friends at all... but they do get frustrated.

And it's weird, 'couse once I'm on the phone I can talk for hours, no problem... I just can't dial, or pick up the phone.. it's very weird.

And the worst part is, I worked at a call center for over one year: Making COLLECTIONS calls..... and then a couple of months Selling.. fertilizing and weed control.... poor me!!!! I think it was a divine punishment... and it haunts me everywhere.... everybody always asked me to make phonecalls for them, appointments, translations, etc... and i'm too nice to say no, but I procrastinate to the last minut, and sweat and all!!

I'm the same way too. I hate calling people because I'm always worried I'll be interupting them. I hate answering the phone because I'm worried it will be someone I don't want to talk to.

What a blast from the past thread!

I still am nervous about making calls and often put them off as long as possible, but I am finding it much easier to call my "phone call guy" (as I called him earlier in this thread). Still, I often get the most intense urge to hang up the phone in that little pause between when you finishing dialing and when the phone actually begins to ring. :uhoh:

As long as I am collected, I don't mind on the phone. Since March...... I think I've gotten a lot more commanding/confident in regards to phone and other situations :happy:

Yes, I already admited that my most common of the deadly sins is pride :uhoh: But hey, it's the name of my favorite song, so I guess it's to be expected :shifty:

I used to be scared of talking on the phone, then I went on vacation in europe and I had to phone hotels etc, there was no escape from it. I even made 2 calls entirely in Spanish :yikes: (I still don't quite know how!) So now it's not as big of a deal to me, I thought if I can talk to people who don't speak my language well (or at all) then why am I scared of talking to someone in this country. :huh: Since then I no longer fear making phone calls :up: :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom