I had a chance to meet U2, and I blew it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trash Can

Acrobat
It was during their ZooTV tour. They were to play my town. Of course, I was going!
I had a friend who worked as a waitress in the bar/restaurant of the snazziest hotel in town (I forget the name). Well, a couple of days before the concert she calls me up and tells me U2 were staying there, and that last night they had come down for drinks... and she served them! She talked to them and Bono even kissed her hand ( My friend was way hot too). She said they'd be there tonight again and I should go to meet them.
I got REAL nervous about the whole thing. This took place, what, almost ten years ago? I was NOT the same person I am today. Back then I WORSHIPPED these guys. I'm a fan now...but I just don't live and breathe U2 like I used to. I was young, and... a total wreck.
I kinda sorta sabotaged the possibility of meeting them (crinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnge).
Instead of going to the hotel early, and just waiting, I asked my friend to page me when they were there. Then I set things up so that I would miss the page ( Never you mind where I was.... Lets just say I was quite drunk ).
She called. I didnt notice my pager go off until later, where upon I went down the highway going 90 to this hotel.
No one was there when I arrived ( the next day I learned that I had missed them by ten minutes)
Enter severe depression.
( I know, I know! I did this to myself... I never said my actions would makes sense).
The concert was the next day. My friend called to ask where the hell I had been. She said she had talked to them again and they had even invited her to party with them. She declined. She kinda freaked at that suggestion, I guess. Oh... they gave her backstage passes.

Pretty sad and pathetic, huh??

WELL, IT GETS WORSE! Read on.
I was soooooooooo upset that I vowed to have a blast at that night's concert. This other buddy and I were going... and we were going to get shit-faced first... of course.
I had never drank so much in my life. At a point... part of me, or should I say, my brain, shut down. I was later told I was chugging straight from a whiskey bottle just before going on in to the stadium.
( I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows learned to swim... or just black out!)
Lord... I remember (as if in slow motion)staggering into the stadium...down to the floor...losing my ticket..losing my buddy...irration illogical thoughts of where to stand ... and look..."cool"...Then ...."darkness"... U2 is onstage... darkness...
Two hours later, I "awake"/"snap out of it"/the brain kicks in again, and I find myself standing in one of the entrance tunnels of the stadium, way up high, facing the stage. Love is Blindness is being performed, then Bono says "goodnight".
I realize in my still drunken stooper that I have just missed the whole show. I can't even make out what denominations of currency I have as I try to buy a t-shirt. The vendor has to actually tell me what I have.
I exit the wrong side of the stadium, walk for about ten minutes before I realize it and I have to turn back. I finally get to my buddy's car. He is STILL there waiting for me (God bless him!). "Dude! Where were you!?"
... I was almost in tears as I slurred out the details, or lack there of.

I was in a deep depression for a couple of months after that. The shame went on for years.

I had to wait for the Pop Tour to... "make amends', shall we say? To actually SEE a U2 concert, again.
And, I did NOT drink a drop that night!

So there it is. Why have I confessed this? I'm not sure. This used to be a very real shameful moment in my life for me. Now, I'm older, wiser, sober ( three years this August!) and I can look back at this and...laugh?

ummmmmmm...I'm not laughing, but I'm not devestated by it.

Ok... here I am... "naked".
Gimme your best shots!
Or...gimme whatever you want.

Peace

------------------
I have a heart, a heart that's beating inside
When I was three I thought the world revolved around me
I was wrong
And so I sing along
And if you dance, then dance with me.

Damn! This Trash guy sure writes long-assed confessions...He MUST be Catholic!

"Oy Vey! Don't get me started!"

------------------
I have a heart, a heart that's beating inside
When I was three I thought the world revolved around me
I was wrong
And so I sing along
And if you dance, then dance with me.

Awww, Trash C, on your story.... bummer! Maybe next time?
wink.gif

------------------
~*Dream Out loud*~

that truly sucks trash can..
Its kinda weird. You were afraid to see your fav band. Maybe you were too nervous, and couldnt handle it.
I know I for one missed Pop Mart because I was to nervous. Thats REALLY weird, i know. I had just turned 16 at the time, and I dont know what was going on in my head... I didnt know if my parents would let me, and I didnt know how I would get there. I had never been to a concert.. then I kept on hearing that the show had sold out in less than 2 hours on the radio, and I just let it go. I didnt know the little 'secrets' to getting into the show on the day of (like i did this year)!
But that made me EVEN more determined to see Elevation. It was something I had prolonged, and it made it even more sweet and an amazingly spiritual rocking experience.
So yeah, i majorly regretted not going to PopMart... but I made sure to MAKE UP for it this time around. (Maybe thats why i went to 2 shows)
smile.gif

Now, if I had a chance to MEET them,, that would be a different story!

------------------
The Edge: WHEN I LOOK AT IT FROM STAGE AT THE U2 AUDIENCE, IT'S LIKE EVERY NIGHT THERE'S SOMETHING GOING OFF THERE AND THAT GIVES ME A LOT OF HOPE. :)

I understand getting nervous and deciding to not meet the guys. I've met a couple of my other favorite singers, Bruce Springsteen, and Bryan Adams, and well I had all this stuff planned to say them, but then when I got up to them and I realized "Oh my God, he's real!", and then well, I got nervous and what I said wasn't even remotely close to what I wanted to say. When I met Bryan I totally screwed up what I wanted to say. A year later I met Bruce, and tried to be a little calmer and get out what I wanted to say, but it still wasn't 100% what I planned. I've decided to stop trying to meet other singers now.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 06-25-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom