I guess that I'm having problems with alcohol.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nozomi

The Fly
I don't usually come on this site, but I feel the need to ask for prayer over this subject. I'm very submissive about my drinking escapades--and they don't interfere with my husband's desires . . . I just think that it might be better if I never touch the stuff again--yet, I find myself compulsively going back to it, periodically, and (usually) when I drink, I drink to get 'buzzed' or get a feeling of weightlessness and escape certain problems that weigh me down. In one sense, I think it's better to "pray out" your problems, but I find myself on a regular basis, ignoring that method and choosing something easier and more controlled (I can control it.
I just feel guilty and think it would be better if I could (once and for all) surrender this issue before God. Yet, many times, I have thought I've surrendered the "drinking option" to God, but I'll turn around a week or two weeks later and forget everything I prayed about and forget my 'persistent goal' in lieu of an easy and relaxed manner of dealing with things. Other times I think all of this is water under the bridge and I ought to be thinking on things (other than my personal problems) things that are more important to . . . others.

*anyways* I ask for prayer on transformation and new beginnings.
Thanks,
Nozomi

Hi there, I understand your dilemma and just to let you know that I have been sober for almost 6 years. The first thing I did was realize complete defeat over my addiction to alcohol and also for me drugs. I eneded up going into a detox and rehab program and started on my way to recovery. I attend a.a meetings , which have saved my life... A.A. does not force you to be something. It is just a place to go and listen to people with similar problems and feelings. It took me awhile to open up and allow people to know me. There is the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonnymous..which is the bible for alcoholics....Can I make a suggestion? Why not buy the book and just read it. I would love to talk more about this and also maybe we can connect...

You make the first step to recovery when you realize and can admit you have a problem and want help. Good luck to you and if we can help you here please keep posting! Of course the least we can do is keep you in our positive thoughts and prayers, Absolutely. :hug:

It will take more than praying to get through this, Sarah. It will be God and praying that get you through the recovery, but not God that saves you. You've always seemed to lean on your beliefs to save you. They won't save you, and I reckon you know this, deep down. You need God, no doubt, and He won't desert you, but it is Sarah that has to save you. And you will be able to do it, with help and support from people who are able to, and a God who gives you strength. Please hear me on this. You cannot pray out alcoholism. Praying will help you fight it, but it is all up to you and you are strong enough.

My prayers go out to you, but Angela Harlem is right, it is you who has to deal with this, who has to do this. I wish you a lot of strength and good luck through it all, because it won't be easy. But I know that you can do it, if you want it :) :hug:

thank you, I am still struggling with this--but I have felt your prayers, and maybe I can have faith that the Lord wants me through this. thanks. I have thought about a support group--am still thinking on this . . . it is hard to decide--i have 3 children and a husband--lots to consider, time-wise. thanks.
me

nozomi, preying isnt going to help you one bit with getting out of alcohol dependance.
a step down program, councelling and an receptor blocker will. and a good dose of valium and some anti depressants.

after 10 years of drinking and drugs and 2 years of rehab and councelling i finally have my drinking under control. giving it up was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life (and i have been in some bad bad shit) . the blackest darkest hole ever. it was worse than loosing my best friend.

but there is an upside to it it all. getting your life back. getting your brain function back , living without needing that buzz is worthwhile. took me a long time to realise it though.

find a good councellor or program as soon as you can and take yourself back before you slip further into it's insidious grip, and keep talking we are all here for you .

Hang in there Nozomi!! Prayer can give you comfort but it's your strenght and will to move on that will get you through this....I know since I've been there myself just last year! Don't use God as an excuse not to act, waiting for some kind of divine intervention: you're the one who needs to act and take control of the situation by finding help. It's not an easy fight at all but you can win it. There are many groups out there that can support you but the first step is yours.
Just consider everything you'd be losing and use the love of those near you...your childrens smiles....your own self-respect...the simple things that make every day special.... you can get over it! We're all cheering for you:wink:

nozomi said:
thank you, I am still struggling with this--but I have felt your prayers, and maybe I can have faith that the Lord wants me through this. thanks. I have thought about a support group--am still thinking on this . . . it is hard to decide--i have 3 children and a husband--lots to consider, time-wise. thanks.
me

I know you have a family, however, you cannot be a wife and mom who is fully present to her husband and children if you're drinking is out of control.

Please, seriously consider getting help from someone. Many churches have Alcoholics Anonymous groups -- perhaps your church is one of them.

Also, your pastor/priest may be able to refer you to a group or program that will include a spiritual component.

My thoughts are with you.

thank you, all for your responses to my problems with turning to alcohol for soothing. It's a very easy escape from the stress of life and so very easy to turn to. thanks. I have felt your prayers.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom