I got stuck in an Amish convoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I didn't mean to, but it happened. I was in the mountains this weekend. I was driving down the main road and saw 2 Amish buggies coming out of a side road trying to cross over. The other people in my car had never seen Amish buggies and wanted to turn back and get a better look, so I did. By the time I found a spot and got to that road again, there were at least 4 buggies in front of me! I followed behind them down the one lane country road. I had taken that road many times just for its scenic beauty, a valley with mountains in the background, huge farmhouses, barns, silos and cows. I had never realized it before, but I had never seen a vehicle on those farms! They were ALL AMISH! We saw one turn into its driveway to go home. I tried not to stare, but everyone else did. Behind the buggies, it was so weird, like going back to the 1800's! The wheels and axles were so skinny it was lucky they didn't break. The horses' hooves made that famous clip clop noise, and a few dumped in the road. The road was hilly. I wonder how they get up the hills, especially in bad weather! Little kids stared at us out the back window of the last buggy like we were Infidels to be feared. I had a hard time keeping some of my passengers from laughing, not in a mean way, just in a surprised, interested way, but still I knew it wasn't nice. It was interesting though.

Finally it got so slow, I got tired of it and turned around. The driveway I turned around in was Amish, I saw the lady in black stockings and Little House on the Prairie shoes and bonnet unhitching her horse. She stared like, get that awful machine out of here! I tried! As I turned to head back, I noticed many more had been behind me, I was in a total Amish caravan! They were probably coming home from Church.

Even though I tried not to look, I did get a glimpse of one couple after I was coming face to face with them. It was kind of spooky, they were like ghosts from the past, or an old pic of dead people from long ago. The woman was in a black dress and bonnet, her hands clasped together in the middle of her chest, sitting stiff, eyes forward. I didn't take a pic, I knew they think cameras steal your soul. As much as I tried to respect their ways and beliefs, it was too strange seeing this in the 21st century. I don't know why they think they are holier not using modern things. There were bad people in the olden days too. There is another group in the same region, the Mennonites, but they do drive cars. It's weird to see those Little House in the Prairie hats, dresses and aprons getting out of cars. I really don't know what to make of the experience, it was just a strange thing to happen and I wanted to tell somebody.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
heh heh heh... Intercourse, PA... heh heh heh

Somewhere there is a picture of my mother, with a young zoney! and his even younger sister, standing infront of the Intercourse, PA. Fire Department. My parents were laughing a little too hard. And of course, the young zoney! and his even younger sister were CLUELESS to why their parents thought this town name was so funny. :|

zoney! said:

Somewhere there is a picture of my mother, with a young zoney! and his even younger sister, standing infront of the Intercourse, PA. Fire Department. My parents were laughing a little too hard. And of course, the young zoney! and his even younger sister were CLUELESS to why their parents thought this town name was so funny. :|

That's great!

P.S. I live 20 min. outside the 4th largest Amish community in the U.S., therefore I find it funny to hear about people who've never encountered them before...

You guys are so cool! :cool: :) I was so afraid I was going to get knocked for making fun of the Amish. :lmao:

Interesting story. I saw some Amish once, in east Pennsylvania. Some Mennonites live around here but they all drive cars. The women do wear white caps; there's one who's a med tech at a local hospital and alot of people think she's a nurse because of her little hat.

Ohhh I went to the Baltimore Aquarium and I saw like 6 amish people there....I was like whoa!!! I thought they didn't venture out to the city...it was strange...the little boy was sooooooooooo cute tho!!! I couldn't help but stare...I was like man i wonder how they got here?!?!

i'd love to go up to Amish country some day.

i remember when we stayed at this hotel in nyc (i think it was at columbus circle) for thanksgiving to watch the macy's parade from there, there was always a table of amish people selling cakes and bread and things across the street from the hotel at a little market area.

I saw a couple of Amish teenagers at the airport before. I was confused. I didn't think they'd travel on airplanes. :eyebrow:

verte76 said:
Interesting story. I saw some Amish once, in east Pennsylvania. Some Mennonites live around here but they all drive cars. The women do wear white caps; there's one who's a med tech at a local hospital and alot of people think she's a nurse because of her little hat.

There all different dominations of the Amish community. Some are real strict where they tend to the old ways, and others use modern means, like owning a phone. Where I live the Amish do not own any modern day things. They will ride in a car, but don't know how to drive. People around here are very good to the Amish, and will drive them places they need to go to.

menonites (sp?) I believe are the "amish" people see at airports and train stations (etc. etc.).

I saw a group last year at a National Horse Show in Oklahoma City. they were wearing Reeboks. I was a bit shocked.

amish13.jpg

Edgette said:
I saw a couple of Amish teenagers at the airport before. I was confused. I didn't think they'd travel on airplanes. :eyebrow:

I saw a news show once that the Amish have a 'try it out' period for teenagers 17-19. They are encouraged to go out into the 'real' world, live that life, experience things like rock concerts, movies, even drinking and smoking pot! That way, if they see all that and come back, they know they will be good Amish :angel: The show claimed that the Amish had at least an 80-90% rate of returns! I guess being shunned and being seperated from your family would be a good reason to stay.:| I don't know if all Amish have such practices. The Mennonites are the ones who look Amish, but drive cars and wear Reeboks. I saw some girls in jogging shoes in those old fashioned dresses and bonnets. It was odd to say the least.

Tiny Dancer, I have a question- if the Amish don't mind taking a ride in a car, why not just drive their own? Is the car not evil and against their ways if it belongs to someone else? :confused:

U2Kitten said:

I saw a news show once that the Amish have a 'try it out' period for teenagers 17-19. They are encouraged to go out into the 'real' world, live that life, experience things like rock concerts, movies, even drinking and smoking pot! That way, if they see all that and come back, they know they will be good Amish :angel:

I belive that takes place at 16. In fact, there is a documentary about this called The Devil's Playground. I've been wanting to check this out for months--I head it's pretty amusing. As my friend Ryan describes, it's Amish Gone Wild!

~LadyLemon~ said:

I belive that takes place at 16. In fact, there is a documentary about this called The Devil's Playground. I've been wanting to check this out for months--I head it's pretty amusing. As my friend Ryan describes, it's Amish Gone Wild!

:eek:

I just got back from the video store and that was one of the movie's I rented!

I'm going to watch it soon.

arw9797 said:

:eek:

I just got back from the video store and that was one of the movie's I rented!

I'm going to watch it soon.

Tell me what you think! I still need to watch this...

~LadyLemon~ said:

Tell me what you think! I still need to watch this...

I thought it very interesting but a bit on the slow side. It only focused on a few teenagers and their struggles on whether or not to join the Amish church. All of the kids looked very sad because they didn't know what they wanted to do. I felt bad for one girl that joined the church and then left. She tried to make it seem like she was excited for her future but she looked like she was still unsure if she made the right decision.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

:laugh: I just now saw this, my computer was too slow to load it last time I came here. That's a hilarious video! "you know I'm a thousand times more humble than thou art" :lmao: "word!" and the boys looking at the Amish girl in the girlie magazine showing her ankle, LMAO!

I've never heard of that movie on the Amish teens, I'll have to find it! :)

Back
Top Bottom