I Feel Stupid & Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Why? Let me explain.

I began going to college part-time a year after I graduated high school, only to stop after a semester and a half. I was doing poorly so, idiot that I was, just decided to quit.

Lately I have really regretted that decision, and find myself wanting to go back in the worst way, but I can't muster up the balls to go and register. All I want is to take one English class this summer to see how it goes, if I can "hack" school again after such a long time away (4 years). If it goes well I'll most likely go back in the fall with some course of study. Ok, there's the stupid part.

Now the problem (if you can even call it that)is this. I have always wanted to be a writer, ever since I was small. I remember writing silly little stories, songs, even making my own magazine one year... For reasons I can't remember, I gave it up for a few years and in the last three have begun again. I think I'm fairly decent, and would someday love to make some sort of living, even if it's freelancing part-time, doing it. I just feel so confused because while I've been told I don't exactly need a college degree to make a living writing, I have been looking at schools online that are geared towards that type of thing, and now I feel as if I ought to look into going to one of those places (closest would be Chicago).

I'm feeling fairly pessimistic over the cost and effects of my going (if I even can). I honestly feel as if there is no way in hell I could, whether it be money, means of how I would get by, etc. I mean, it's not like I have an absolute "need" to go to a school like that, but it seems fairly practical for someone like myself with dreams of writing for a living.

I know this won't make much sense once it's "out there", but I guess my whole problem is going back to school, and feeling if I do go back will it be "good enough" or "never enough"? I think if I took some courses directly related to writing it may help me in the long run, so then do I even need a degree (a 2 year one at best)?

See...very confused. Sorry for the rant.

------------------
When I grow up I'll turn the tables

aww *hugs*...I think you should go back and take some classes if it's something you really want to do.

I'd say start out maybe taking a course or two, at a community college, to see if you can "hack" it again. Just start off slowly. You don't want to get overwhelmed at the start and get all frustrated again. Even if you don't need a degree, if anything, the classes will enhance your abilities, besides looking good on a resume
wink.gif

I think you should go for it...otherwise you'll always wonder if you should have or not. Good luck!

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

(((((( APRIL ))))))

I know how you feel in some ways. After I got injured at my grocery job after 8 years, suddenly I had to make a career change. I had no clue whatsoever what I wanted to do, seeing as I had only pretty much worked in a grocery store my whole life. It was the most depressing and uncertain time in my life. Especially since I was in pain everyday for months.

So, I decided to take some computer classes. I knew nothing at all about computers 3 years ago. I thought to myself, school? I mean I know its not like college or anything but the thought of going to class and learning stuff after like 8 years of being out of high school was pretty scary.
But you know what? It felt sooo good to learn! I was really amazed at how much I enjoyed it.

I guess I'm just saying give it a shot if you can, you're very smart, I know you can make something out of it.

smile.gif

Whatever you do, *don't* stop writing. try to write every day, even if it's only a grocery list or something. That's the only way to keep improving as a writer.

Why not look into, say, a creative or technical writing class? Start off with what you know, and you might be a bit more comfortable.

"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." --Michael Landon

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Just remember, most successful people in this world took a huge risk along the way.

If you don't take the risk, you'll never know what could have been.

Originally posted by paxetaurora:

"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." --Michael Landon

Excellent quote!!!

I know exactly how you feel April! Just start off slow and try taking that English class and see what happens. I wouldn't worry about trying to get into a more "technical" school that focuses entirely on writing. Just try writing a little bit everyday (journaling helps a lot) to keep in the habit of doing it. I want to be a writer as well, and after 3 years of college I am finally taking a writing course and I love it! I also recommend you read Stephen King's On Writing--it's an excellent guide.

Like I said, just start slowly and see what happens. And you know I'm here for you!

{{{hugs}}}

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

I'm leaving to register right now!!
biggrin.gif

Depending on how well my credits from when I was in school before transfer, I'll be taking either a standard English or an Intro to Poetry course. I am nervous, but really excited at the same time!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Bend me, break me
Anyway you need me
All I want is you

Cool! And don't worry--you'll do fine!!

smile.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Good luck April! I bet this course just infuses in you a lot of confidence in your writing and love for writing- like a support group.
smile.gif
good luck, but i know you don't need luck
smile.gif

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Why didn't I see this thread before??
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Anyway, good luck in your class!! You can do it girl!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 04-30-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom