I feel like everyone has met the band except me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by meegannie:

[edited to add the smiley in case I sounded mean
smile.gif
]

B]

clever.
icon22.gif

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

I have "met" 3 of them, but now i'm jealous of what happened to MG and the others, and my little meeting pales in comparison!
It seems like just when i catch up to the herd, the herd jumps ahead again!
Dont worry, youll get there. Look, I am one of the most unlucky and unfortunate souls on the earth.NOTHING like this has EVER happened to me!!!! I didnt think a pitiful creature like me would ever become one of the in crowd of sorts.
wink.gif
I know very little about meeting VIPs. Yet by fate it happened to me. I cant get over that....I'm still in shock, and i still cant tell the story without screaming!
My mom had good luck meeting stars. But those were different times. It was easier.
And the way it happened to me...it was only fate, not skill. Just keep trying!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-14-2002).]

I never thought I'd meet any of the boys either, I've waited for so long...but this tour I finally did! Just be patient!!! Best place to meet them is to wait by the service entrance of the arena before the show.
I got Larry and Edge's autograph...and oh yeah...Bono kissed my hand
biggrin.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

I really hesitate to reply to this, but I have to thank you Angel for saying what you did. I agree with everything you said.

I never even tried to meet any of them until this tour, and I've had several other chances to do it. Like you said so beautifully Angel-'the mystery'. And it bothers me that some people might feel this is some sort of 'competition' on here as to who can do what. I don't agree with people being labelled 'jealous' because they choose not to do what others choose to do, or don't agree with it. Maybe they just have an opinion .

It is all about THE MUSIC-while any meeting w/ them is wonderful, it doesn't make you any more special than any other fan. And I'm NOT saying that anyone here feels that they are that.

I can't imagine that many other bands have the kind of fan contact that U2 has-it is a privilege that could easily disappear if they so chose.

------------------
~Your insults and your curses make me feel like I'm not a person~
~The more people I meet the more I like my dog~

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Zonelistener guy hasn't met any of them - and he has been a fan since 1985.
I got ya beat. fan since 1984 and I ain't met any of `em.

I know what you mean about sometimes it seeming like everyone else has met them! I never have, but I've only had one opportunity and didn't try (seeing them in concert last year, I could have hung out outside all day, but I didn't...if I'd had GA tickets it might have been a different story.) I'd like to meet them, and I would get autographs if I could, but it's not a big deal. It certainly doesn't change my life one way or another.

If I had a chance to meet them, I'd rather have a good conversation than an autograph, but that's probably less likely!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

And i'm one of the lucky ones who has the ability to hear the bootlegs and at least try to get a hold of the tickets. I wonder how many fans there are in, say, Africa or Asia that don't have either of those options.

BTW, i don't mean "meet" in a stalky way - more like natural meeting - if it happens, it happens. If not, that's ok too.

Originally posted by Angel:
I have never met them either...... I dunno, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I would like to meet them more by chance, not by stalking. Sorry, but it seems too many people now are taking advantage of their goodwill towards their fans. Meeting U2 is a privelage, not a right, and it doesn't matter how many times you say you are not a stalker, it doesn't make it any less true.
Meeting the band while on tour is cool, because that's when it's expected by them, but hanging around their haunts in their hometown and at the studio day in and day out, is plain old invasion of privacy. It just seems wrong, and no I am not jealous.
I'll probably never meet the band and that's ok. I like the mystery and hell, it's all about the music anyway. What's the point if I can't have a *real* conversation with them. Talk about what made me like them in the first place--> the music. It seems the music has been forgotten in all this frenzy.
Autographs mean nothing to me.

I agree, for the most part. I don't see anything wrong with trying to meet the band. I think that going to the studio and places like that once (or even a few times) is fine. When it gets to be a regular activity, I think that's a little out of hand.

As far as autographs go, I just like to have them as a reminder of the encounter.

(I'm not a stalker, by the way)

Originally posted by meegannie:

(I'm not a stalker, by the way)

That's what all stalkers say. HAHAHA!
icon37.gif
icon37.gif
icon37.gif

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

K, this is me, one of the 'stalkers'!! I met them twice in a month and yes, I went to the studio to meet them. And don't tell me you wouldn't if you had the chance. Coz I know a few ppl who said, oh no! I'm not gonna go there STALKING! and been there twice since then. I don't really care what ppl think about this. I keep my 'visitings' within limits and I respect their privacy. The reason I went back there is just, for a silly reason, I wanted to wish Bono a safe trip. Bah, sentimental, but true.

I was a fan since 1982 and didn't meet them till this past March and still haven't met all of them. So, you never know when you may trip across one of 'em...

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
I really hesitate to reply to this, but I have to thank you Angel for saying what you did. I agree with everything you said.

..it bothers me that some people might feel this is some sort of 'competition' on here as to who can do what. I don't agree with people being labelled 'jealous' because they choose not to do what others choose to do, or don't agree with it. Maybe they just have an opinion.

I can't imagine that many other bands have the kind of fan contact that U2 has-it is a privilege that could easily disappear if they so chose.

I agree with this. It's not fair to call someone 'jealous' because they feel differently about some things. Jealous is not a fair label, because like Gina said, some have different opinions and not everyone would do what someone else would, so they are not jealous it's not them because it WOULDN'T be them. They just disagree with certain things. I think it's sad that people cannot feel free to express their opinions without being called jealous or being afraid 'flying objects' or flames.

Someone said, you'd do it if you had the chance, sure I would, one time, and if I scored I'd just leave it alone. I can't imagine being bold and brazen enough to show my face again and again after the band had already given me my special time. It's taking advantage, like Angel said.

Meeting the band is cool, and it's a dream I hold dear. Just because I haven't met them doesn't mean I resent those who do. I am very happy for people who meet them, depending on the person and the situation involved. I don't mean to point at anyone in particular, especially not Mr. LeMon you are the coolest, you had your moment and you went home with your pics and memories
smile.gif
but I do think there are some people, not necessarily anyone here, who thrive on the fame and spotlight they get from being seen with famous people. As long as they have a receptive audience to report back to, they will continue to put on a show for thrills.

Just as some people 'need' to meet the band and some do not, maybe some need to be seen with the band, posed in pics on the internet for thousands to see, look at me, I'm a star now too! I think some people respond just to be nice and not to look jealous, but how many times can you keep going -wow-cool-you are lucky-I am jealous-great story-
redface.gif
redface.gif
I mean after awhile when it keeps happening, what can you say? What is expected?

This has been a very calm and intelligent discussion and I hope it stays that way.
If anybody thinks I am afraid the high traffic at the studio will make the band tire of fans before I get there, you're right!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I do think, like Gina said, that the privilege can be taken away. Let's hope it never comes to that.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-15-2002).]

No band meetings here either
frown.gif
but like others said, being in the heart was a close second.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is a little concerned that some of our interferencer friends might be wearing out their welcome at the studio. It's very common for fans to hang around the studio when they are recording That's fine IMO and the band probably expects to see fans there. I'm just concerned that after several meetings the band might start getting a bit nervous. Like "What more do they want from us? Don't they have anywhere else to go?"

Like I said in PLEBA, at least they are at studio and aren't sitting outside their homes day after day. That's creepy. I don't mean stopping by to see Bono's famous gate, that's comepletely understandable, but I've heard that sometimes the band members have people hanging outside their homes day after day. That's an invasion of privacy IMO and I would hope folks here would have more respect for their families, particularly their children. I'm sure any of the parents here wouldn't want strangers gawking at their children.

And someone PLEASE tell me that everyone is just on vacation and that there aren't Interferencers actually moving to Ireland to be near the band
eek.gif
That would be way over the top. I know that there is someone is moving there soon for work, but that's quite different.

Originally posted by u2utah:

And someone PLEASE tell me that everyone is just on vacation and that there aren't Interferencers actually moving to Ireland to be near the band
eek.gif
That would be way over the top. I know that there is someone is moving there soon for work, but that's quite different.

I'm not on a vacation, I live here. And I moved here coz I've been fascinated by this country since I was like 10. I did NOT move here because of the band!

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

Me: '-Bono! Do u have Cardboard Adam in the studio?
Bono: 'Yeah! Actually, he does more work than the real one!

Originally posted by u2utah:

eek.gif

I'm not on a vacation, I live here. And I moved here coz I've been fascinated by this country since I was like 10. I did NOT move here because of the band!

------------------
Well now what do ya mean by work there, even if you's workin' there and still workin' on huntin' down U2 it's the same dadblamed thang ain't it LMAO!!
biggrin.gif
If ya ain't thar cuz of the band why are ya hangin' round the studio fer?
confused.gif
Won't it you that sat outside Bono's house and watched Ali and the kids comin' out? Shame on ya! Now goin' to tha gates is fine and dandy and takin' a pic is fine an' dandy but not waitin' 'round gawkin' at the kids!

I'd jest love ta go ta Dublin, jest once. But mah ol' 1975 Pinto won't even make it outta Bugtussle. I ain't never met the band neither. Maybe one day their tour bus'll stop here at the fillin' station an' I'll get mah turn. SIGH
frown.gif

Dream on!

xxoo Bessie Jo
smile.gif

------------------
I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll.

[This message has been edited by The Possum Queen (edited 05-15-2002).]

Been a fan since 1983, and I've never met them either!
frown.gif
I am waiting for the day. I don't think I would be able to meet them in a run-into lucky kind of way. I would be dumbfounded and would not know what to say. I know myself, and I know that I would freak out and not jump on the opportunity to say anything because I would be too afraid to approach them! I know, I'm a dweeb.

I actually would prefer to meet them say before or after a show like most other fans have done. I also don't think I would ask them for an autograph either. I would rather just lay my eyes on them or speak with them. I wouldn't want to waste the 2-5 seconds it would take for one of them to sign their name and then leave to greet the next fan.

One day, I will meet them, one day.........

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

[This message has been edited by u2loopy (edited 05-15-2002).]

I totally agree with u2utah. You know, all you really have to do is imagine yourself coming out of your place of work everyday and seeing the same faces standing there waiting for you...to look at you, to get something from you, to be near you, maybe to touch you...how would that make you feel? Loved? Hardly. You might say it's different with a celebrity, that they have an obligation to their fans...but I think it's intrusive, obsessive and misdirected energy. I don't mean to sound judgmental, but I keep thinking about Larry's comment in Bill Flanagan's book, where he's in a limo and fans are screaming "I love you, Larry!" and he gets pissed and says to whoever is in the car with him, "Love me?! They don't even know me." Please, give them their space--it's why they have remained so "normal" all these years, because the Dubliners respect their space.

Yeah I agree with u2utah & joyful girl.

This is just getting ridiculous. If I were the band..
icon25.gif

I have so much respect for them.. they are such kind hearted people, truly amazing.

And I just want to say that if ever even got the opportunity to meet them for 5 MINUTES it would be the happiest moment of my life, it would fullfill me, and I would treasure it forever.

Next time its going to be like "oh yeah, we met the band again.. no biggie.. Bono danced with me in the studio, Adam and I had a beer.. yeah.. * yawn.. cool stuff".

------------------
Sexy poshin' sugar snarlin' rock and roll ...
sicy@interference.com
My Lair

Originally posted by u2loopy:
Been a fan since 1983, and I've never met them either!
frown.gif
I am waiting for the day. I don't think I would be able to meet them in a run-into lucky kind of way. I would be dumbfounded and would not know what to say. I know myself, and I know that I would freak out and not jump on the opportunity to say anything because I would be too afraid to approach them!

When I met Bono, I was literally frozen in absolute terror. I'm very shy, even around "regular" people, so you can just imagine how seeing Bono affected me. Fortunately, he came over to us, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to meet him. Don't be worried about not saying anything. I think it's better to just say "thank you" or something simple like that anyway than to try to say something else and not be able to because you're nervous. Really, I think if you're polite and not intrusive at all, they'll be much nicer to you than they would if you ran after them screaming or started freaking out and going on and on about how fabulous they are or something. Bono is sort of shy in his own way, and I think he goes out of his way to make people who are nervous feel more comfortable around him. So when you do meet him, don't worry about being nervous--it'll all work itself out.
smile.gif

------------------
A song is a beautiful lie

um, I haven't either!! *whispers* and anyway, the people who have are actually just scary stalkers, so why would you want to be like them???! *evil grin

wink.gif

Originally posted by Sicy:

Next time its going to be like "oh yeah, we met the band again.. no biggie.. Bono danced with me in the studio, Adam and I had a beer.. yeah.. * yawn.. cool stuff".

Yeah, but for me, i doubt it would ever be like that.
I "only" got a glimpse of one of them, Larry, arriving at a Popmart show...
Who'd ever think *** I *** would actually get to put my arm around him, and actually get to talk to Bono and Edge, and see Adam, less than 4 years later?
But i still treasure that little glimpse of Larry. Even though my most recent meeting far surpasses it in every way, i still get giddy thinking about the Popmart sighting.
smile.gif

Hell, Adam could propose to me next time, but i dont think i will ever get jaded about this band.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-15-2002).]

Originally posted by The Possum Queen:
Well now what do ya mean by work there, even if you's workin' there and still workin' on huntin' down U2 it's the same dadblamed thang ain't it LMAO!! If ya ain't thar cuz of the band why are ya hangin' round the studio fer? Won't it you that sat outside Bono's house and watched Ali and the kids comin' out? Shame on ya! Now goin' to tha gates is fine and dandy and takin' a pic is fine an' dandy but not waitin' 'round gawkin' at the kids!

I'd jest love ta go ta Dublin, jest once. But mah ol' 1975 Pinto won't even make it outta Bugtussle. I ain't never met the band neither. Maybe one day their tour bus'll stop here at the fillin' station an' I'll get mah turn. SIGH

Dream on!

xxoo Bessie Jo

Do not tell me to be ashamed if you don't know the whole story. I had a friend over for a few days, and I was showing her around. We happened to be there when they came out, I was NOT gawkin!! I was not sitting outside Bono's gate waiting around!! I didn't even have my camera with me, so that's not me you talking about! I have a life beside U2, but I'm not going to explain it to you. I'm here coz I wanted to be here, my decision, my life... You think what you wanna think.

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

Me: '-Bono! Do u have Cardboard Adam in the studio?
Bono: 'Yeah! Actually, he does more work than the real one!

Well...... I don't think any names were ever mentioned here. No one specific person was ever accused of anything... It was just a general discussion about each others feelings towards a fair topic. It has stayed pretty civil too if you ask me. So maddie if you are talking about events that have taken place in PLEBA, how is that relevant here? I don't go in to PLEBA, don't know what's going on in PLEBA, not even interested.

I don't see anyone fighting in Zoo Confessionals. Just my observation......

------------------
"Steal me, deal me, anyway you heal me
Maim me, tame me, you can never change me
Love me, like me, come ahead and fight me
Please me, tease me, go ahead and leave me..."

Back
Top Bottom