I feel hurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Ok, here goes...

Today was the last day at college before we break up for the Christmas holidays. All my friends gave each other presents, but guess what, I was left out. The only friend that got me a gift got me a box of teabags, costing less than a pound! And this was only for a joke seeing as I am always joking about tea at college (Don't ask). He however brought gifts for other people and spent lots of money on them, and he brought my girlfriend a calendar (which is obviously more expensive than teabags). My girlfriend has got me presents obvioulsy, but she is bound to, because she is my girlfriend. But I feel so left out, because none of my friends at college got me any presents, but got each other presents. And people that are friends with my girlfriend and I, got my girlfriend presents, but completely left me out (except the guy that brought me the teabags).

I was wondering that there maybe a reason for this... I am one of the very few males on my college programme, and the vast majority are females. Do you think I was so left out mainly because I'm a man, and that christmas presents for friends is more of a 'female' thing to do?

I'm really not that bothered about the lack of material things, but it has really hurt me inside, and has made me insecure and wonder if I really have friends or not...

It just pisses me off that everyone, including my girlfriend, got presents from college m8s, except me, who only got a box of teabags, which was only for a joke anyway...

This probably should go in Zoo Confessionals but....did you give any presents?

No, but people gave each other their presents on the same day, and so I'm guessing they told each other that they were giving presents beforehand. But nobody told me, otherwise I would have given presents.

Sorry you feel hurt- gift giving can be so messy like that, your feelings can be hurt. Do you think you can talk to any of your friends about it? Or e-mail them? I'd say maybe it would be healthier to get things out in the open rather than to let the hurt fester.

Sorry about that :(

This is why when friends ask about giving gifts, I just say I'd rather have everyone go out for dinner and hang out. That way, no one will feel left out or get overlooked. Gift exchanges are fun, but I feel like you end up spending more time thinking about who will participate or who might've been left out than just having fun picking a present.

My family does a secret santa thing. We all draw names on Thanksgiving.

Well the first year we tried this someone forgot to put my name in the hat, and my cousin happened to not be there. So the numbers worked out and my aunt who was running the thing didn't put the two and two together.

So come Christmas I didn't get a gift.:|

No one told my cousin we were changing things so he didn't even know.

Uhhh...........

Did you give any of your them presents? I don't think I missed you saying that, but I'm tired, so maybe I did.

But if you didn't get anyone presents, and you yourself received none, I don't see it as being a big deal. I might suggest, that, if this is the case, maybe your friends don't connect with you in that way, or have that kind of relationship with you, or just don't think about you that way. I really have no idea.

Feeling left out, though, I guess that's not very pleasant.

Last edited:
There must of been some oversight. let your graciousness overcome your grief dear. Im sure they werent just being thoughtless- I wish I could send ya some cool socks , some Reese's Peanut butter cups, a picture frame,and a new address book buddy. :hug: please dont be sad

I am so sorry, Jarvio. But, the way i see it...you have a girlfiend and friends and family.I know you are hurt, but who cares for that!IMO., more important is how your friends treating you otherwise. Presents doesnt mean so much as support and love from your friends! :hug:

as you said, you were on of the very few guys. maybe thats the reason you were left out! maybe the girls decided to exchange gifts with each other. in my college, mostly the girls exchanged with each other, not many guys participated.

Back
Top Bottom