I feel guilty about.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
Downloading whole albums for free online:no:

I've always done a song here and there, but last night I downloaded the entire new No Doubt album, and I feel bad about it! I dont know , maybe it's just the irish/catholic guilt thing... it just kind feels like stealing in a way!:uhoh: :uhoh:

:reject:

Im Irish

Im Catholic

I dont feel guilty

I dont go to mass though- our church was burnt down so now we dont go cus my mum thinks we will be shot

don't feel bad everyone else does it :wave:

I kinda feel guilty.....

but I got so nauseated seeing Lars from Metallica whine about how they are losing sooooooooo much money from places like Kazaa and Napster.....The dude is sitting in a multimillion dollar mansion and all he can do is whine that not everyone is gonna go out and buy his albums.

While I think that musicians are entitled to profits from their records... I think some are more interested in money than creating something artistic.

Most times I just get a couple of songs to see if I want to buy the album.

I think it's the whole...my money is tight, so I'm not gonna spend 20 bucks on a cd I might not like....

I just downloaded Billy Idol's best of. I'm not even sure if it is out in stores yet. But I love it.

daisybean said:
I kinda feel guilty.....

but I got so nauseated seeing Lars from Metallica whine about how they are losing sooooooooo much money from places like Kazaa and Napster.....

AMEN TO THAT DAISY!!!

My sister and I were just talking about what a whiny little bitch that guy is...I change the channel if I even think he's gonna start talking :yuck:

As for the topic of this thread...I feel a little guilty but not enough to stop doing it :angel:

The music industry is losing money at a worrying rate these days, and until they learn to adapt it will continue. My policy on this is download the odd song or album, sure, but don't stop buying altogether.

i think even if i wasnt catholic, id still have catholic guilt.
pinstripes and hair ribbons baby

I get guilty sometimes but I've only dl'd one entire album and about half of another cos the guy went offline halfway through it and I couldn't resume it. Neither of them I have listened to much.
But then I think the music industry is exorbitant in their cd prices. People can argue this, but there is no justification in $30 for a cd. And when you hear penny pinchers like Lars whatisface bitching about every dollar he is not getting, you dont feel sorry for him. Well I do kinda, because its money he is entitled to and he did earn it and he isnt doing this for free blah blah. I could go around in circles on that cos I agree with both sides of that argument lol.

I'm guilty of dl'ing specific songs. I justify it with the knowledge they are weird and rare songs that I use to make up mixed and random cd's and are songs I have Buckleys of finding singles of in any store....Its still wrong.

Blah.

:banghead:

I don't feel bad because CDs are generally too expensive, and the ones I want are hard to find and I have to spend more to buy them on import. I download entire albums, but I also buy a LOT of CDs when I have the money or when I run across a really good deal.

99% of the music I listen to I would never have heard it weren't for mp3's, so the bands I like get a lot of money from me when I buy the cds, go to concerts, and buy merchandise.

i very rarely download whole albums, but really, i wouldn't feel that guilty about it. as brettig mentioned, it's the music industry that really needs to adapt and ultimately get real when it comes to pricing music and allocating profit (sorry if i somehow misconstrued what you were saying by the way).

the bottom line is, i will only support artists who i honestly believe care more about the integrity of the music they put out than any profit that comes along with making music (and no, my opinion is not influenced in any way by cheapness, frugality(?), etc.)...and i understand that many of these artists are often bound by the company they sign with, in that they don't have much of a say in regard to cd costs, so i'm not out to penalize them for that.

TripThruUreWires said:
i very rarely download whole albums, but really, i wouldn't feel that guilty about it. as brettig mentioned, it's the music industry that really needs to adapt and ultimately get real when it comes to pricing music and allocating profit (sorry if i somehow misconstrued what you were saying by the way).

No that's fine, I guess a view that is further to the effect of what I was saying is that the whole mp3 backlash is the music industry's comeuppance for filtering so little of its huge profits back down to artists and grassroots development over the years.

I'll also say that these views only apply to the few record companies/artists at the top of the tree, in support of Bama I encourage people to support the grassroots of music, especially local releases.

Also remember to shop around, often if you see something and think its too expensive, its because youve only seen it in one or two stores - dig, dig, dig!

i can honestly say i only download full albums that are out of print. if i want an out of print album, i try to see if someone's auctioning one on ebay. usually though, no one is. so then i download it. even if i bought it off someone, the artist wouldn't make any money off of me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom