I don't want to join the army

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
First, a little background. I'm fifteen years old, male, and I live in the island state of Singapore, despite the fact I am of Japanese descent and have lived the first two years of my life in Japan and am a Japanese passport holder. I have lived in Singapore as a permanent resident (PR) for as long as I can remember, and have assimilated into Singapore's culture. (I speak Mandarin Chinese and English but not Japanese). During World War II, Singapore was occupied by Imperialist Japan, where many atrocities took place. In order to defend against this happening again, the Singapore Government has taken the step of introducing compulsory conscription (National Service) for all males when they reach eighteen years old. Four or five years back, they extended this to second generation PRs, ie. me.

This is the selfish bit.

In three years I will need to serve in the army. I am not looking forward to this. I am notoriously unathletic, and I do not like the idea of the de-individualisation of the military. I cannot take physical punishment. I hate people shouting. The period of service is two and a half years, and to put it bluntly, I don't want to waste that two and a half years of my life.

The only option is to reject Singapore citizenship, as well as PRship. This would mean I cannot stay in Singapore for more than six months at a time. Thus, I would need to migrate, but to where? I could apply for a foreign university and stay in that country afterwards, but who knows whether that can happen?

Looking back at what I typed, I feel extremely selfish. I simply don't like the idea of military life. I hate those 'what-if' scenarios where you have a gun and you need to kill the enemy, because to me that's more or less murder. Yet another part of me says I'm simply too scared to take up the toughness of military life. Another part says I'm not doing enough for my country.

I don't know how to end this, but I'll end this here. Typing this, at least, has got a lot off my mind. There's still another three years for reflection, but three years pass by very quickly.

You are not selfish at all.

Forced conscription is an immoral way for a nation to assemble an army. I don't believe in it for my country, and so I support your reluctance to be forced to join your country's army.

(This thread might get moved to another forum if it gets too sticky.)

Anyway, yertle, I'm with you on this one, and I don't think you're wrong at all.

Yeah, thing is, we don't have resources. We're a small nation. They need a citizen's army. I just don't want to join it.

Edit: Crikey, I sound so whiny. Exactly how your average fifteen year old should behave, I guess. But this is an issue that weighs really heavily on my mind. I'd die in the army, but I grew up and am growing up in this land but I don't feel like repaying it back in that way.

Last edited:
:yes: to what Martha said. You have to do what YOU think is right, otherwise you'll have a hard time living with yourself afterwards.

You seem very worldly for someone who is only 15. You know what you want and what you don't want, and I say go where you have the freedom to choose. It's your life and I agree with Martha, it is so wrong for someone to dictate what path your life should follow. Yes, you do have three years to ponder this... but in the end you have to do what's best for you.
Have you spoken to your family about this? What are their thoughts?
I guess... the bottom line is, how would you feel about not living in Singapore? There are plenty of places you could go. Perhaps learn Japanese and rediscover your routes? or go to Europe, or North America. Essentially, your options are endless, and speaking the languages you do, you will have many opportunities before you.

If in the end your choice is to go, don't look at it as abandoning your country. Military life is not for everyone, it takes a certain type of person... and ultimately it should be a choice.
Forcing people into mandatory service, does not create a productive nor strong army. Perhaps you'll be doing your country a service by not joining? ;) You never know........

Thanks for the replies, all. Perhaps, yeah, it's still too early, and I'll need to give this a lot more thought. In the meantime, I guess I'll just focus on a good degree, and enjoying my life.

I would suggest moving to another nation. Those two years are very important two years, and I wouldn't want to give them up to militarism either. Perhaps consult with a lawyer to see if there are "exceptions" to that compulsory service, whether it be through conscientious objection or for other reasons. If they do exist, perhaps you would have a way out.

Otherwise, you have command of some very important global languages, and perhaps try going to Europe or even the U.S. for study. You do have three years, so there is time, but there is no harm in being prepared.

Melon

In the old days of the Dutch army there was forced conscription but if people had moral problems with the army ( Religion or pacifists ) there was a possibility to do civilian service like working in hospitals.

When i served in the army i was in a UN batalion so i could do some good work for the world . ( I never been send out )

But please do what you think is right.

Last edited:
Learning Experience...

I'm from Singapore..and I've given 2.5 years of my life
to the army...

Though...I think its a waste of my time....but I think
conscription is the price to pay for the country's stability...

Besides..I think I really learnt alot while inside the army..
Especially in character building....Guess if its not for the army,
I would still be the slacker that I was before, and not aiming
to excel in life.

Yertle, you have my sincere sympathies. I had a miserable enough time in summer camp, I wouldn't last five minutes in the army! I'm in reasonably good physical shape in some ways, but I can't even do one pushup!

I used to work for the National Ballet of Canada, and we had this one dancer who was from Israel, and they also have mandatory army duty. I can't recall the exact details, but she had to pretend she was mentally ill, or having a nervous breakdown in order to get out of it.

It's definitely a tough spot for anyone to be in! :hug:

I don't think it's selfish not to want to do military service. I think it's immoral for a country to force people to serve in the army against their wishes. I don't actually have any idea what you can do about it, but I just wanted to say that I think you're completely entitled to object to having to do military service.

Rono said:
In the old days of the Dutch army there was forced conscription but if people had moral problems with the army ( Religion or pacifists ) there was a possibility to do civilian service like working in hospitals.

I was just in the intermediate year between a constrcipted and the (enlisted?) professional army. The asked me to join earlier when I was 17, but I told them to go f^#k themselves. :mac:

i don't blame you for not wanting to join the military. it's not being whiny. being whiny would be:

no1 i don't want to join the army :madspit: they can't make me, those idiots :mad:

but instead you expressed your reasons clearly. it is rather a waste of important years. and this thread reminds me of stiff little fingers--wasted life. great song.

Back
Top Bottom