I dont like weddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After going through the painful process of finding what to wear in 2 weeks Im soooooo hating weddings right now! :scream: Would have been nice if someone had bothered giving me more advance warning about this event :angry:

Hmmm wonder how I will feel when I start planning my own wedding for next year :lol:

Two of my friends got engaged today. I'm really happy for them, and they're a great couple, but part of me is already dreading going to the wedding. At least they'll probably have an open bar :drool:

OMG I :heart: weddings!!1!.

Mind you Im Australian and I get the impression our weddings are a lot more casual than the USA version.

I went to one last weekend and I have another one on tomorrow. :drool:

I have a wedding tomorrow. My wedding pet peeve is when people schedule the wedding and reception in like totally different cities several hours apart. My mom is peeved b/c she's more poor than us and is flipping out about having to drive ALL the way there, then ALL the way home b/c there's THREE hours in between, and then ALL the way to the reception and waste a tank of gas.

I think Phil and I had the right idea: our reception and wedding were at the same place. We got married (20 mins, if that), ran out into the hallway, and stood there as everyone immediately filed into our reception where all of the food was already available.

They're both out in the boonies and mother says, "why would we pay to go out when we're getting dinner at the reception?". I told her to come back to my house since it's ever so slightly closer to both the wedding and the reception, but she insists my house smells like a giant cat box (she's probably right). I wouldn't know an art gallery around here if one hit me in the face! I just don't get why 1) people like to take their pictures after the wedding and 2) why taking pictures has to take three hours. I'm not really into weddings where everyone just goes through the motions. Why can't everyone just relax and have fun? There's just something really irritating about being at a wedding and seeing the bride, the groom, and all the family grimacing from stress and spending more time flipping out over picture poses than just enjoying the day.

Well if you are getting a free dinner then your mother can afford to go out in between. Strange logic. You could wander off and have your pic taken with your mother. Walk. Talk. Sit in a cafe. Sit under a tree and read a book. etc.

Strange logic defines my mother, haha. She won't go out, I know it. Everyone else will but she won't want to (and she really can't afford it, going out on a whim). I'll probably go home and do chores, lord knows they won't do themselves. Mom can deal with the cats.

Now I have to figure out where these places are and remember to buy a present tonight. Google maps here I come...

Liesje said:
They're both out in the boonies and mother says, "why would we pay to go out when we're getting dinner at the reception?". I told her to come back to my house since it's ever so slightly closer to both the wedding and the reception, but she insists my house smells like a giant cat box (she's probably right). I wouldn't know an art gallery around here if one hit me in the face! I just don't get why 1) people like to take their pictures after the wedding and 2) why taking pictures has to take three hours. I'm not really into weddings where everyone just goes through the motions. Why can't everyone just relax and have fun? There's just something really irritating about being at a wedding and seeing the bride, the groom, and all the family grimacing from stress and spending more time flipping out over picture poses than just enjoying the day.

a wedding I went to in May had 3 hours in between the ceremony and reception and the reception was on the other side of the city from where the ceremony was. couldn't figure that one out. it worked out for me since I could just drive back to my parent's house and hang out. but it still was a huge chunk of the day, and sitting around waiting. by the time anyone saw any food, it was another hour AFTER getting to the reception. and by that I mean just some fruit, cheese platter and veggies!

I'm just doing an hour in between ceremony and reception to do pics next year, but at least the reception is literally next door from the ceremony and there will be food available right away.

U2Girl416 said:

a wedding I went to in May had 3 hours in between the ceremony and reception and the reception was on the other side of the city from where the ceremony was. couldn't figure that one out. it worked out for me since I could just drive back to my parent's house and hang out. but it still was a huge chunk of the day, and sitting around waiting. by the time anyone saw any food, it was another hour AFTER getting to the reception. and by that I mean just some fruit, cheese platter and veggies!

Yep, that's how my cousin's went down this summer. Luckily, the wedding was outdoors at the reception hall, but the wedding took about 20 minutes and then the reception hall wasn't open, so a hundred people just kinda stood outside the door. The food was an hour and 45 minutes late and it was that same expensive mashed potatoes and a piece of beef - I can't figure out how these places charge such prices for your poor man's meat and potatoes. Everything was really pretty as far as the location and table settings, but nothing happened on time and so people just got stressed out and it was really awkward since they assigned seating at random (I ended up next to my little sister and a professional poker player, across the room from my family). I would mind the time so much if the whole deal were less formal. It's just plain awkward for everyone to be standing around waiting for assigned seating. What's wrong with buffets?! :wink:

Liesje said:

Yep, that's how my cousin's went down this summer. Luckily, the wedding was outdoors at the reception hall, but the wedding took about 20 minutes and then the reception hall wasn't open, so a hundred people just kinda stood outside the door. The food was an hour and 45 minutes late and it was that same expensive mashed potatoes and a piece of beef - I can't figure out how these places charge such prices for your poor man's meat and potatoes. Everything was really pretty as far as the location and table settings, but nothing happened on time and so people just got stressed out and it was really awkward since they assigned seating at random (I ended up next to my little sister and a professional poker player, across the room from my family). I would mind the time so much if the whole deal were less formal. It's just plain awkward for everyone to be standing around waiting for assigned seating. What's wrong with buffets?! :wink:

some of the prices I've seen through this process have been ridiculous, even for buffets! some still wanted $60 a head and up. it was nuts. we were going to do buffet but opted for family style instead because it saved us more $ and we get another entree choice with it. provided it doesn't rain that day, I think it will be pretty nice. it's in a park that also has a greenhouse and there are a lot of benches and space to walk around. but that reception hall better not be locked! :)

I looked at one price and said forget about it! We went to a local bulk food store, opened a credit account (for an additional 10% off), and just bought a ton of pre-made hors d eurves (however the fuck you spell that) and pastries. My grandma had fun cutting fruits. My dad and little sister made and decorated 250 cupcakes. And that was that. We had a ton of food leftover too! I think we are still eating some of it out of the freezer. I think we spent less on the wedding reception than most people spend on their kids' graduation party.

yeah you guys definitely went the right way with that stuff. we had to turn away from a lot of nice places that would have been great to get married, but when they started telling us, yeah it'll be $8,500 minimum on food for the reception....are you f-ing kidding me? :| I just want this whole day to be as stress free and low key as possible. I just want to have a good time.

Liesje said:
I have a wedding tomorrow. My wedding pet peeve is when people schedule the wedding and reception in like totally different cities several hours apart. My mom is peeved b/c she's more poor than us and is flipping out about having to drive ALL the way there, then ALL the way home b/c there's THREE hours in between, and then ALL the way to the reception and waste a tank of gas.

I think Phil and I had the right idea: our reception and wedding were at the same place. We got married (20 mins, if that), ran out into the hallway, and stood there as everyone immediately filed into our reception where all of the food was already available.

a few weeks ago i got my reception place picked out.
it's only about 10 minutes (maybe even less) from the church.
and it's at a hotel where they setup everything including decorations.
and it's the same hotel where we're all staying.
i think having the reception at the hotel is great then the guests can just crawl into bed if they want to after the reception.

Back
Top Bottom