I don't like it when people edit posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guaca

Refugee
Being myself, I can't use the "H" word but I just don't like it when people go back and edit their posts. By the time I get to read them all the comments are edited out or changed and I miss the whole darn thing.

Geez, I hate when that happens

I pretty much only edit mine when I have spelling errors.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Spelling mistakes I can handle, but when there's a thread that the remarks or comments are obviously changed and don't reflect the actual original comment thread then you can't follow it at all. So I'll just say Blargh

Originally posted by WhackaMole:
Spelling mistakes I can handle, but when there's a thread that the remarks or comments are obviously changed and don't reflect the actual original comment thread then you can't follow it at all. So I'll just say Blargh

I agree with you.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 03-28-2002).]

Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes.......... editing..
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

EDIT THIS!
tongue.gif

are you belittling my confession
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Me too, I'm a perfectionist.

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

EDIT THIS!
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

No, just confessing my love for the editing feature.
biggrin.gif

I love the right to edit. I only post at work so I'm usually in a hurry and as a result I say dumb things in the moment and then 10 minutes later realize what I said and rush back in to fix it. I do try not to alter significantly what I've said so it doesn't interfere with the flow of a debate, though.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I don't believe in editing to take back something you typed in haste and now regret. I have stopped myself from hitting edit many times and decided to face the music after a dumb or poorly thought-out post. I would rather apologize or clarify in another post rather than look like I was trying to change what I said.

Well, we disagree! I am a big believer that changing one's mind or revising the way something was said, is a virtue. I don't ever want to be stuck in a moment. But right now over in another forum there is something that I regret having said but it became part of a big debate and I will not go back and edit it because that wouldn't be fair. But I see nothing wrong with changing a word or two to soften something that was said in haste and perhaps was too harsh, or something like that. If the post in question has already been quoted and discussed, then I won't edit it--I'll just address it.

[This message was edited by joyfulgirl because she could not bear the typo "becamse".]

I like to edit. I usually never change my entire post, but sometimes I do regret saying something and change it -- but I NEVER change it when someone has already replied to it. However, I do usually edit for typos.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Oh well...

i believe editing is the right and choice of whoever uses it, and the user of editing should be trusted to edit posts by his/her best judgement and he/she should have the "freedom" to shape their thoughts any way they want.

EDIT THIS!
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

[This message has been ( 666).]

[This message has been edited by the cow that jumped over the moon (edited 03-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by a whacked- out mole digging in a hole
wink.gif
(edited 03-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by scooby doobie doo (edited 03-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 03-28-2002).]

I always edit for spelling and grammar. I'm obsessed.

But I don't think people should edit what they wrote---unless it's REALLY bad. You wrote what you did in the heat of the moment. If this was in person, you couldn't take it back...

Originally posted by U2girl:
Oh well...

i believe editing is the right and choice of whoever uses it, and the user of editing should be trusted to edit posts by his/her best judgement and he/she should have the "freedom" to shape their thoughts any way they want.

you tell 'em!

------------------
me3

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

I don't believe in editing to take back something you typed in haste and now regret. I have stopped myself from hitting edit many times and decided to face the music after a dumb or poorly thought-out post. I would rather apologize or clarify in another post rather than look like I was trying to change what I said.

BUT, being a typical Virgo perfectionist, I can't stop myself from fixing a typo no matter how hard I try to ignore it
biggrin.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 03-28-2002).]

J/K!!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I always edit for spelling and grammar. I'm obsessed.

But I don't think people should edit what they wrote---unless it's REALLY bad. You wrote what you did in the heat of the moment. If this was in person, you couldn't take it back...

Which is why I view editing a post as a great tool. We aren't in person. Why pretend we are. Why not use the tools available to make yourself as clear as possible in writing. It's even more important to do so when we're not in person because we don't have body language and vocal intonations to help us communicate--just a bunch of smilies and the editing feature.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
If this was in person, you couldn't take it back...

Exactly, but because it's not in person - you can change what you said. And that's a good thing, no?

Now i don't know about other "editors" (BTW: are the people reading edited posts "editees"?
wink.gif

- i usually edit to add something i forgot to say but it fits in the original post's spirit, most likely in a heated debate.
Or (being a non native English speaker) i may have found a better/more suitable idea how to say than i originally intented.
Or (wanting to be exact) i found a typo in my post.
Or, in some cases, i'm just too lazy to start another reply.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

And what's a Hippio mr z wedgy?

[This message has not been touched by the edit police, any panda's, any banana's any zoo animals, any Creed fans, or by a stranger with candy. {This has been messed with by a full moon} Messed with or interfered with on 30th of the 3rd 2002-please take into account daylight saving, thankyou]

a hippo is a big fat animal similair to a rhino minus horns and rough exterior, lives in africa and likes to sleep in muddy water to cool off from the sun and has birds that live on its back to nibble on insects in its skin.

I don't know. I'm so undecided. In a way, I suppose, editing is a good thing. But in a way, we never really get to see WHO everyone is, how they act in heated deabtes. If everyone went back and edited their posts, we wouldn't have real conversations now, would we? It'd all be some backwards, through time space thing that no one understands. We sometimes miss out on great things being said in heated discussions. We don't get to see who has a raging temper. We never know who can hold it in the moment, and who crumbles hopelessly.

On the other hand, editing posts takes away some of the really negative things people post when they're angry. So, for the sake of sparing people's feelings....

I don't know.

Oh forget it now. Everyone totally misunderstood my confession - what else is new. I don't have anything against people editing posts really. The day I wrote that confession I was in LS and I was trying to follow a thread that was a debate. But what started out as a debate turned into something that was not very easy to follow.

When people say something and then go back and change it later on, the flow of the thread gets lost is all I was trying to say.

Typos, and changing words here or there - it doesn't make any difference. Taking out your whole post and leaving it blank or whatever that's fine too if that's what you want to do. Whatever....nevermind, I promise never to confess again on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Oh forget it now. Everyone totally misunderstood my confession - what else is new. I don't have anything against people editing posts really. The day I wrote that confession I was in LS and I was trying to follow a thread that was a debate. But what started out as a debate turned into something that was not very easy to follow.

When people say something and then go back and change it later on, the flow of the thread gets lost is all I was trying to say.

Typos, and changing words here or there - it doesn't make any difference. Taking out your whole post and leaving it blank or whatever that's fine too if that's what you want to do. Whatever....nevermind, I promise never to confess again on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Aw, I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. I like to edit, but I have also had the experience you describe, of trying to follow a debate and discovering a chunk has been edited out. Please don't stop confessing. We still want to know all your secrets.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom