I don't get tribute bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnFire

Acrobat
In another thread I noticed that a U2 tribute band is playing at a club I can practically walk to this saturday. I've got a party to go to anyway but I'm not sure how jazzed up to go I would be anyway.

I like it when club bands do U2 covers, I just expect them to inject themselves and the personality of their band into the song, not try to literally be them. If I happened to look like Bono and could sing half decently, I could see appeal of that sort of gig but wouldn't you feel incredibly self-conscience trying to be him onstage? Wouldn't you be subject to the same kind of mockery Elvis impersonators get?

I'm not knocking em, especially since I haven't seen one yet. Just wondering what it's all about.

Hey OnFire,

Well, portraying Bono in the LA U2 Tribute Band "The Joshua Tree" I can tell you that, personally, I do it for my love of U2 and because it's just damn fun. Some (not all) tribute bands are doing it for other reasons, whether it's personal gain (ego stroking) or financial gain. Being mocked like I'm an Elvis impersonator has yet to happen, but it just may because not everyone gets what we're doing and why we're doing it and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But, the people at our shows are usually hardcore fans like ourselves and there is a connection between all of us and an energy just like at U2's concerts. So, at shows, it's probably less likely to happen than if I just mentioned it to someone in conversation that I impersonate Bono in a tribute band.

Just a little about my perspective and take on it:

I don't think I'm Bono on or off stage. I of course move like him, dress like him, and try my hardest to sound like him at shows, but I don't worship him, idolize him, or want to be him...Bono is Bono and I'm me. I only know of him what most of us know from U2's music, the press, etc. I have never met him or any of the band and to be honest almost don't want to...I'm fine with not ever meeting him face to face. What if he's having a bad day and is an ass? I'd rather just believe he's a nice guy and leave it at that. I get enough of a connection to the band through listening to their music.

I myself am just a regular guy with a regular 8-5 day job and a family. I've been in the music business for over 15 years now and have experienced just about everything that is to be experienced on the LA scene. I have loved U2 since 1987 and decided to do the "tribute" thing a little over a year ago because, for the first time, I was in a band with a bunch of U2 fans like myself. We decided that instead of being a "cover" band and putting our own influences and styles (which are, of course U2 like) into U2's music, we would strive to put on a show that was so detalied in sight and sound that it was like U2 came to a club in LA to play a special private show.

We leave the judging of how good we are or how much we actually sound like U2 to people such as yourselves. Mainly, our shows are an opportunity for U2 fans to get together and celebrate the music and our mutual love for them. It's not a forum for me, personally, to get up on stage and act like someone I'm not.

I've learned to sing from listening to U2 and have always been told, even in my original projects, that I sound like Bono. So, I just gave in and said why the hell not-it seems like it would be fun. You know what, it is!! This is by far the most fun I've had playing music in my entire life. U2's music is a part of me and who I am, so it comes natural for me to sing with passion and conviction to Bono's words and their music.

Please, I would just ask that you visit our website www.u2jt.com and see listen and tell me your honest opinion. I'd like to hear it.

bonobjones@aol.com is my email address.

God bless, hope to hear from you.

Jason.

Bono B. Jones said:
Hey OnFire,

Well, portraying Bono in the LA U2 Tribute Band "The Joshua Tree" I can tell you that, personally, I do it for my love of U2 and because it's just damn fun.

And that's what all the good tribute bands do it for... the ones who are just doing it because they happen to look/sound a little bit like bono tend to not be as good.

what we need is a nice u2 tribute band convention where all the best ones from around the country play... preferably in new york so i don't have to go anywhere :evil:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

And that's what all the good tribute bands do it for... the ones who are just doing it because they happen to look/sound a little bit like bono tend to not be as good.

what we need is a nice u2 tribute band convention where all the best ones from around the country play... preferably in new york so i don't have to go anywhere :evil:

Hey Headache, if we make the cut, we will be there in a heartbeat!

That would be an exciting (and very interesting) convention.

Make it so Headache!

U2democrat said:
holy f***ing crap you sound exactly like bono!!!!! :shocked:

Thanks U2democrat,

To me (and this is just my own opinion here) it seems that a lot of the tribute bands miss the most important ingredient of U2 and that is the voice of U2. Now, the voice of U2 is not just Bono and for me it's not just about sounding like him or hitting all the right notes, etc. It's about singing from your heart-pouring your guts and soul out through your voice and sharing that vulnerability when that is happening with all who are there.

That's what I try and concentrate most on, not "exactly" how high Bono lifts his leg to show the word "Soul" on his shoe, etc.

My .02. only. This is just my personal approach. There are plenty of other tribute bands out there who are very entertaining and sound great.

BB Jones,

If you ever come to the Washington DC area, I'll most definetly check you guys out. Like U2 dem said, you defienetly have their sound, and your a dead ringer for Bono.

Your most hard-core fans might scare me a bit, but you seem very cool and comfortable just being yourself when your not performing.

Any idea how many tribute bands named "Joshua Tree" there are out there? That's the same name as the one I referred to in my first post, but I know it's not you guys since your gigs are in LA.

OnFire said:
BB Jones,

If you ever come to the Washington DC area, I'll most definetly check you guys out. Like U2 dem said, you defienetly have their sound, and your a dead ringer for Bono.

Your most hard-core fans might scare me a bit, but you seem very cool and comfortable just being yourself when your not performing.

Any idea how many tribute bands named "Joshua Tree" there are out there? That's the same name as the one I referred to in my first post, but I know it's not you guys since your gigs are in LA.

I agree, some take it too far in my opinion. There's some tribute bands, not just U2 that the members actually start to believe they are the person that they are imitating on and off the stage. That is a bit strange and concerning.

As far as how many bands named "Joshua Tree", there's us and a band in Boston as far as the U.S. There's a band in New York that used to be named Joshua Tree that is now 2U.

Thanks for giving us a listen!

God bless,

Jason.

Wow! You do sound like Bono Jason! That's great! :up:

I've seen Boston's Joshua Tree and Toronto's Elevation and enjoyed seeing/hearing both bands. :up:

Well, I don't think you look like Bono much but you do sound a lot like him and that's what really matters. :up: I also don't like when the bands try to impersonate the physical personalities of the band, like dressing like them. Maybe it makes more sense when you’re there but still I don’t like it. I understand moving like them cause that may come almost as a reflex I guess after listening and watching the band so much. Still I think it's even cooler when a band comes out as themselves and eventually even puts a bit of themselves on the covers, not changing the songs for worse but just adding something of their own personalities there. I guess being a U2 cover band must be different from any other cover band from any other band since U2 has such a distinct sound and a hard one to recreate when you don’t have the proper tools. That’s why I think it’s cool when a band makes a more personal approach to a song. It’s their version, trying to make something else since they can’t really play like it’s original format. Like U2 did with Won’t Get Fooled Again. Still, a band playing Where The Streets Have No Name close to how it sounds on the record is respectful! If you guys came here I would go watch. :yes:

Now that I've taken a better look at you guys (I was at my crappy work laptop earlier), you don't look as much like Bono as you sound like him. Ron (Adam) looks the closest to the real thing.

Take care of those pipes!

I love tribute bands! I used to be a huge Kiss fan back in the days of when they didn't wear make up and I saw tons of tribute bands that dressed like the from the 70's. Some of them were so amazing in their look and sound it almost made you forget you weren't seeing the real deal.

As far as U2 tribute bands go it's a little more difficult to look like them since no one is covered in tons of makeup but it's not about that for U2. It's not always about how the band looks or sounds. It's just the feeling you get being around so many people, including the band members, that feel the same way about your favorite band as you do. I've seen Elevation USA a few times and they are amazing. I also saw a little bit of Joshua Tree last month and they were equally great. It was fun to see a different take on U2 with JT over Elevation.

It's so great to hear everyone's opinions and thoughts!

I agree, I really don't look like Bono much, but that's the least important factor in my opinion. Ron, our Adam, is definitely closer in "looks" to the real thing. I can also understand how some may think dressing like the band is weird, but we're out to recreate a U2 concert experience so I feel it's necessary as a "Tribute" band. I've had plenty of experience in my own music now and feel this is a refreshing break from it. Someday, I'll probably go back to doing original material, but for now I'm having the time of my life doing this.

Thanks again for sharing and for listening to my take on things. I wish we could play in all your cities. If you saw us live, I think you would understand better where we're coming from. It's just about celebrating U2's music and our love for them and sharing that with the people who come to our shows.

Jason.

OnFire said:
Your most hard-core fans might scare me a bit

i drove four hours yesterday to see JT perform. and do you want to know why? i have been a fan of U2 for twenty years. more than half of my life. and as i'm sure you've noticed, it's been a long time since U2 has toured. hearing jason sing those songs live is the closest thing to that feeling that i've come across in a very long time.

JT is by far the best U2 tribute around, and i have seen several. last night i kept finding myself sitting there with my eyes closed, just letting those feelings wash over me as the music and the spirit of U2 filled the room.

and that's the reason i enjoy tribute bands, especially JT. they remind you why you loved U2 in the first place.

bonosgirl84 said:

i drove four hours yesterday to see JT perform. and do you want to know why? i have been a fan of U2 for twenty years. more than half of my life. and as i'm sure you've noticed, it's been a long time since U2 has toured. hearing jason sing those songs live is the closest thing to that feeling that i've come across in a very long time.

JT is by far the best U2 tribute around, and i have seen several. last night i kept finding myself sitting there with my eyes closed, just letting those feelings wash over me as the music and the spirit of U2 filled the room.

and that's the reason i enjoy tribute bands, especially JT. they remind you why you loved U2 in the first place.

Thanks BG! Glad you enjoyed the trip out!!!

As for the tribute band debate. To each his own. There are several U2 tributes out there. Some are good, some are not. Persoanlly, I am a fan of Elevation Canada because they are a really good band, but they are also reaally nice donw to earth guys. Like Jason said, it's up to the people that see the bands to decide if it is good or not. I really don't care what people think of the other tribute bands, just what they think about mine and what can we do to continute to get even better to put on a good show. We have been building what is becoming a pretty loyal and caring group of fans. I hope it is because they not only like what they see and hear, but because of the heart and soul that we put into every song. Also the fact that, when we finish a set and walk off stage, we were just 4 U2 fans hanging out like everyone else there. I promise you'll never see any of us "acting like" Bono or Edge, etc when we are not on stage..... It's because we are not U2, it is too bad that there are some that forget that. There are egos abounding in the tribute world.

I know of other bands that have called out people for supporting one band over theirs...it's pretty childish. I would never tell someone that the band they like is not in the same league as my band. Saldly, the ones doing that are the types that do it for the ego and the $$. If their fans dig it, good for them. I just don't feel a need to bash another band to pump up mine. I believe that mine stands on it's own merits. If you like us..great! If you don't, we'll thanks for checking us out and best of luck finding something that fits your tastes.

Chas
The Joshua Tree
www.U2JT.com

Hey Tip Top Prince. "Hate" is a really strong word.

I would refrain from judging until you see them for yourself. Alot of the supporters for tribute bands are people that never thought that they would enjoy one.

Besides, tribute bands are our only chance to see U2 in small bars, or see Red Rocks as a whole.

I, too, have been told by many that I sound very similar to Bono when I sing. While I've toyed with the idea of starting a tribute band, the music scene in my town pretty much sucks, and furthermore, while the idea sounds fun, I would much prefer starting an original band. A band that holds many of the same values and beliefs that U2 has in their recipe, I am alright with that sort of influence, but just, something fresh and new would just be awesome. I've just always had trouble finding dedicated people with a similar sense of drive and direction as myself, so the idea has yet to leave the ground. Oh well, we all can dream, can't we? ;p

Anyone who might be interested in hearing me singing a couple U2 tracks, you can, right here: http://www.geocities.com/aceman_1978/

If the site doesn't work, it's just taking a rest, as geocities doesn't seem to allow for much in the way of traffic.

Please forgive my lame setup, but, I merely use it as a webspace for simple stuff.

I hope my recordings don't offend anyone.

Cheers!

Last edited:
spinninghead77 said:
Hey Tip Top Prince. "Hate" is a really strong word.

I would refrain from judging until you see them for yourself. Alot of the supporters for tribute bands are people that never thought that they would enjoy one.

Besides, tribute bands are our only chance to see U2 in small bars, or see Red Rocks as a whole.

Exactly. When I first found myself talking to other U2 fans online, I never imagined how much I would enjoy seeing a tribute band perform. Last night's Elevation Toronto show was amazing, and I strongly suggest checking out them or whoever happens to be nearest to you before you pass judgement.

Tip Top Prince said:
I fucking hate U2 tribute bands.

U2 music is a result of the four people. Anything less is like kissing your sister. bleh.

Have never - will never see one.

Not to get all political again, but this reminds me of all the people who were talking about how horrible Fahrenheit 9/11 was, and they hadn't even seen the damn thing.

Don't knock it till you've tried it :wink:

Well said gang; a tribute band gives us a fix until we get the real deal this year! and when the tribute band is very, very good, it makes Mr. BAW very, very happy!

As you know, I don't mind spending the cash to send BAW around the country to see tribute bands; they're worth it...I saw October for the first time and I gotta confess, they were good, I saw Elevation again and they were very good; I saw JT last month and they were a very close second...I saw Elevation USA but I just didn't get the connection but I'm sure they are good, just not for me....but comparing doesn't deter from the fact that these guys enjoy what they do ..

I have a son that's a musician...I always use to ride him 'cause the gig he was playing really didn't pay what I thought was proper compensation...

He opened my eyes when he told me "Dad, its not about the money; I'd play for free if they let me!" That's what its all about.

Last edited:
Bono B. Jones said:

Thanks U2democrat,

To me (and this is just my own opinion here) it seems that a lot of the tribute bands miss the most important ingredient of U2 and that is the voice of U2. Now, the voice of U2 is not just Bono and for me it's not just about sounding like him or hitting all the right notes, etc. It's about singing from your heart-pouring your guts and soul out through your voice and sharing that vulnerability when that is happening with all who are there.

That's what I try and concentrate most on, not "exactly" how high Bono lifts his leg to show the word "Soul" on his shoe, etc.

My .02. only. This is just my personal approach. There are plenty of other tribute bands out there who are very entertaining and sound great.

Awwwww Jason, this is ABSOLUTELY why you have such a following of incredible fellow U2fans! I shared my honest objective on what I appreciate in a tribute band, and what I felt the differences were between the ones I've seen. I could tell how much you love this and why you do it simply from that one conversation with you, and that was BEFORE THE SOUND CHECK!! It was also fun talking about the Bono boots and jacket! I agree the sound is more important than the image, but the heart and SOUL is what it boils down to, and where it all comes from!

I'd drive more than 4hrs to see you and the guys perform again, I'd cross state lines, heck I'd go all the way to Texas to see you! :wink: :wink:

:bow: :applaud: :hug: Don't stop doing what you're doing!

~Karen

Back
Top Bottom