I don't get tribute bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Kevin and John from Elevation have studied music, so they did not just pick up a pick or sticks a few years ago and just start playing music.

:mad:

So? Who's to say how long I've potentially been playing?

in the tempest said:

So? Who's to say how long I've potentially been playing?

Who cares how long you have played!

I think the point is, there are some amazing, and musically well educated, musicians "sinking to the depths" as you put it, that play in tributes.

Have you ever even actually seen one (a good one) or are you just speaking from a position of ignorance? What's the old saying, don't knock it til you've tried it.

Jeez, I'm kind of embarrassed that I started this topic a couple of months ago. I admited in my first post that I haven't seen one and was trying not to be critical of them, just curious about the phenomenon from both a fan and performer perspective.

Bono B and others who replied gave great responses, basically they're just fans, it's fun, they don't have any problem being themselves afterwards. There's also plenty of good gigs if you do it well, which ain't as easy as just copping Edge's licks and Bono's notes.

I'll be on the lookout for some of the better bands mentioned here in my area of the country.

Wow. :ohmy: You guys from JT - ever thought about doing a show or two in Newfoundland? :wink: Bono B. Jones, you sound almost IDENTICAL to Bono! In fact, the entire BAND sounds pretty darn 99.9% close!

I just can't believe, however, that there are people out there who'd knock what you guys do. It must take a lot of time, effort, and money to do a tribute show, and I have the utmost respect for that. Seeing/listening to a tribute band just isn't the same as going to see a cover band. I was in a cover band a year or two ago, and I quit because the experience just wasn't rewarding. Just about everyone in the band didn't care for U2, so I was stuck playing Nirvana and CCR covers. I didn't enjoy that, because I'm not really a fan of any of the music we played. But when it comes to U2 songs, I pour my heart and soul into the music...and that must be one of the best things about being in a tribute band - being amongst three other people who share your love for U2 and playing their music as much as you do. I don't think musicians stoop to any level when they form a tribute band. I think it's probably one of the highest honours you could give the band you adore. I wish I was in a tribute band. :(

So anyway, to TJT and all those other great tribute bands, don't let the bastards grind you down.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Wow. :ohmy: You guys from JT - ever thought about doing a show or two in Newfoundland? :wink: Bono B. Jones, you sound almost IDENTICAL to Bono! In fact, the entire BAND sounds pretty darn 99.9% close!

I just can't believe, however, that there are people out there who'd knock what you guys do. It must take a lot of time, effort, and money to do a tribute show, and I have the utmost respect for that. Seeing/listening to a tribute band just isn't the same as going to see a cover band. I was in a cover band a year or two ago, and I quit because the experience just wasn't rewarding. Just about everyone in the band didn't care for U2, so I was stuck playing Nirvana and CCR covers. I didn't enjoy that, because I'm not really a fan of any of the music we played. But when it comes to U2 songs, I pour my heart and soul into the music...and that must be one of the best things about being in a tribute band - being amongst three other people who share your love for U2 and playing their music as much as you do. I don't think musicians stoop to any level when they form a tribute band. I think it's probably one of the highest honours you could give the band you adore. I wish I was in a tribute band. :(

So anyway, to TJT and all those other great tribute bands, don't let the bastards grind you down.

Wow! Thank you for the compliment! You are too kind. I think that you hit on one of the keys. We are all huge U2 fans and love doing it. I think I'd get burned out playing in a top 40 cover band doing songs that I knew we had to play rather than what I really enjoy.

Maybe we will get up to Canada...we'd love to do it. Check out Elevation Canada too. They are based in Toronto, but travel a bit. They put on a good show and are really good guys to boot.

Thanks again Eh!
Chas
U2JT.com

in the tempest said:
I've never understood tribute bands either. I think they're pretty stupid, to be honest. It's fun to do a cover of one of your favorite songs here and there. I do it. It's a lot of fun, but I'd never sink to the depths of a tribute band.

"sink to the depths" :lmao:

You're just jealous your name is not Chedge.

Well get yourself to see these shows--if you don't *get* tribute bands you will certainly enjoy this U2 tribute band! I guarantee it!
02-18-2005 01:20 AM - LA's U2 Tribute - The Joshua Tree - 3/12 & 3/27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen to me now.....I need to let you know.

Here's where we're playing in March:

Saturday March 12th @10 PM

14 Below - Santa Monica

1348 14th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310) 451-5040
www.14below.com

JT will be playing the middle set of a three-band show at the famous 14 Below in Santa Monica. JT will hit the stage around 10:00 PM, sandwiched between Cheap Suits (A blues tribute band), and The Police Experience (A Police Tribute).

14 Below is a 21 and older club. $10 at the door.

****ALSO****

Sunday, March 27, 2005 @ 7:00 PM

Hard Rock Cafe - San Diego

7:00 PM
801 4th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 615-7625
www.hardock.com

Fans of Bono... listen up! The Joshua Tree is very proud to announce they will be playing a charity event to benefit the African Well Fund www.africanwellfund.org, an organization dedicated to raising funds for building and maintaining wells in Africa. We encourage you to check out their website and read about this very, very, and we mean very worthy cause. The band is set to hit the stage at 7:00 or so, and are primed and ready to help Bono and the boys kick off their 2005 North American Tour. Also, the perfect time and place to meet up with hundreds of U2 fans coming into town for the first U2 show of the tour!

Cost is $10 at the door.

Stay tuned for more announcements. We're not done with March just yet! People get ready, there's a train a comin!

God bless, we hope to see you there.

Jason & JT

As you enter this life, I pray you depart, with a wrinkled face and a brand new heart.

www.U2JT.com

The Joshua Tree - LA's premier U2 tribute band.

Back
Top Bottom