I don't get tribute bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:
i also like
brady
and
danno:wink:

where were you in Toronto big guy??? I was ready to dedicate a song to you and I didn't see you in your George W. mask???

We love you Diamond!

And we love U2 JT! in the house.... cool bunch of guys....

I second what Chedge said earlier on.....

what a cool name.....chedge.....rock and roll...

Tribute bands are just having fun...they don't think they are U2 - they are just bringing the music to U2 fans who don't get the chance or rarely get the chance to see U2...

it's all in the name of love...

Hey Diamond - next time we play NYD - I will sing it for you my friend...we will see you in Vegas in March - it's been two years - we can play our instruments now!

lots of love,

Brady

bradyvox said:

where were you in Toronto big guy??? I was ready to dedicate a song to you and I didn't see you in your George W. mask???

:lmao: i'd almost forgotten about that from vegas!

34238%3A%3A723232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D9%3A6%3D42%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23233837264%3B8ot1lsi

aww man do i hope i can come to vegas in march :sigh:

i'm working on it though :hyper:

Mr. BAW said:
Well said gang; a tribute band gives us a fix until we get the real deal this year! and when the tribute band is very, very good, it makes Mr. BAW very, very happy!

...I saw October for the first time and I gotta confess, they were good

Hey just stumbled across this Mr BAW

Thanks for the warm words...I agree with Jason that it's about the soul and getting as close to the voice as possible...the look is just clothing really..its gotta be inside you for it to come out in a show..:)

Hope to see you again soon! :wink:

:wave: JT LA

gabrielvox said:

Thanks for the warm words...I agree with Jason that it's about the soul and getting as close to the voice as possible...the look is just clothing really..its gotta be inside you for it to come out in a show..:)

Hey Gabe!:wave:

gabrielvox said:

You're quite welcome; Mr. Guinness and I had a blast watching you and your troop; also had fun during the karaoke!!! you're a stand-up guy! :lol:

Hey hey party people, let me hear some noise, JT's in the house, jump jump for joy~ there's a party over here, there's a party over there, throw your hands in the air, shake your derrier! Come on down to the Whale and Ale where the boys will rock, you'll have fun no fail! ;)

I can't believe I missed this thread! Joshua Tree rock; they truly capture the spirit and essence of U2's music. I saw JT play for the first time on New Year's Day at Molly Malone's and I still get butterflies in my stomach when I remember that great night.

I must confess that prior to seeing JT perform, I had never ever seen a tribute band play because it just seemed a little cheesy to me. When I went to Molly Malones with my friends (who aren't really U2 fans btw) I didn't know what to expect. But now I am glad that I went with an open mind because from the moment that "Vertigo" began to the last note played, these guys had me in the palm of their hands. Even my friends were impressed!

These guys are U2 if U2 were a small club band and not an arena band. Aside from being fantastic, they also have hearts of gold. So, if you or anyone else reading this are within walking distance of this club, I suggest you go and help raise some money for the kids. If you don't like what you see I will personally reimburse you. :)

:heart:

angel_of_L.A. said:
I can't believe I missed this thread! Joshua Tree rock; they truly capture the spirit and essence of U2's music. I saw JT play for the first time on New Year's Day at Molly Malone's and I still get butterflies in my stomach when I remember that great night.

I must confess that prior to seeing JT perform, I had never ever seen a tribute band play because it just seemed a little cheesy to me. When I went to Molly Malones with my friends (who aren't really U2 fans btw) I didn't know what to expect. But now I am glad that I went with an open mind because from the moment that "Vertigo" began to the last note played, these guys had me in the palm of their hands. Even my friends were impressed!

These guys are U2 if U2 were a small club band and not an arena band. Aside from being fantastic, they also have hearts of gold. So, if you or anyone else reading this are within walking distance of this club, I suggest you go and help raise some money for the kids. If you don't like what you see I will personally reimburse you. :)

:heart:

Amen to everything she said! The first time I saw JT was at Marlins this fall and I was sold at the sound check. The minute Jason (Bono B Jones) belted out his first note warming up my jaw dropped to the floor. The guys are U2 fans, they are Christians, they are talented, they LOVE what they do, they are genuine caring wonderful human beings. I'll see them every show and every chance I get! I Tell everyone I know about them until they are sick of hearing about my ranting and raving, rolling eyes just like when I talk about my love of U2! Don't pass up an opportunity to see JT! ESPECIALLY this charity fund raiser at Whale and Ale in San Pedro tomorrow night 9pm!

Check out their website for more info: www.U2JT.com

Hope to see another great, fun crowd tomorrow! I will be there!
Me and my JT VIP pass and my JT bumper sticker!! There will also be some big news and big announcements from the band!

Yay!
I :heart: JT

Karen

(P.S. Get well, J!!!) :hug:

i used to chat with someone who played in a U2 tribute band. i think it was the bass player from unforgettable fire? anyway, i'd definitely see one if i ever had the chance. unfortunately i'm too far away from the east coast and waaaaay too far away from the west coast to see any. :(

if i'm ever in nyc or la or something, i'd definitely have to check them out. :up:

I've never understood tribute bands either. I think they're pretty stupid, to be honest. It's fun to do a cover of one of your favorite songs here and there. I do it. It's a lot of fun, but I'd never sink to the depths of a tribute band.

It is unfortunate you feel that way especially without even making the time to see one play, let alone a good one. Never assume, and know it is not fair to lump all of something into one category.

BTW there is a difference between a *cover* and a *Tribute*.

in the tempest said:
I've never understood tribute bands either. I think they're pretty stupid, to be honest. It's fun to do a cover of one of your favorite songs here and there. I do it. It's a lot of fun, but I'd never sink to the depths of a tribute band.

HEY!!!!!

Don't knock it till you try it!

I thought it was stupid too at first. But after seeing Elevation Toronto, Elevation USA, and The Joshua Tree, it's the next best thing to the real thing. Also I have made more friends than I ever have after going and seeing these groups. You totally forget that they are not the real thing, and get lost in the music. That's what it's all about! And then before you know it, you also become a member of a special family.

Allegra said:

HEY!!!!!

Don't knock it till you try it!

I thought it was stupid too at first. But after seeing Elevation Toronto, Elevation USA, and The Joshua Tree, it's the next best thing to the real thing. Also I have made more friends than I ever have after going and seeing these groups. You totally forget that they are not the real thing, and get lost in the music. That's what it's all about! And then before you know it, you also become a member of a special family.

Right on, Allegra! Man, I totally lost myself a few times in the music. JT is just incredible.

And come on, you can't knock a movement that creates the name "Chedge"!!!!! There has never been a cooler name.

thousandfold said:

Right on, Allegra! Man, I totally lost myself a few times in the music. JT is just incredible.

And come on, you can't knock a movement that creates the name "Chedge"!!!!! There has never been a cooler name.

Thank You my dear! I like Chedge too!

As for sinking to the depth of playing in a tribute band. WHATEVER!

It may not be for you, that's fine. Or maybe you are just not a good enough musician to be able to play challenging material from a band like U2. I believe that Mick from UF and Kevin from Elevation Canada are incredible musicians that do a great job of playing like and sounding like Edge. It's not easy!

There are some bad tributes out there, but if you look closely.... those are the one who should not bill themselves as a tribute. They are a cover band that does U2. If you look at bands like UF in New York, Elevation Canada and (excuse my bias) The Joshua Tree, you'll see bands that make the effort to go all the way. Not just stick their Bono in a leather jacket with a red star with blue shades and call themselves a tribute, but go the extra mile as an entire band to bring the U2 live experience to a small venue.

All in all it's the same as any original music scene... there's always more crap bands and a smaller group that are good. And even in that, it's still a matter of personal taste.

Thanks to the fans of JT for their kind posts about us on this thread. It is greatly appreciated and we all know that it is the true fans of U2 whom's opinion really matters most!

Chas
The Joshua Tree
www.U2JT.com.

Last edited:
TheEdge U2JT said:

Thank You my dear! I like Chedge too!

As for sinking to the depth of playing in a tribute band. WHATEVER!

It may not be for you, that's fine. Or maybe you are just not a good enough musician to be able to play challenging material from a band like U2. I believe that Mick from UF and Kevin from Elevation Canada are incredible musicians that do a great job of playing like and sounding like Edge. It's not easy!

There are some bad tributes out there, but if you look closely.... those are the one who should not bill themselves as a tribute. They are a cover band that does U2. If you look at bands like UF in New York, Elevation Canada and (excuse my bias) The Joshua Tree, you'll see bands that make the effort to go all the way. Not just stick their Bono in a leather jacket with a red star with blue shades and call themselves a tribute, but go the extra mile as an entire band to bring the U2 live experience to a small venue.

All in all it's the same as any original music scene... there's always more crap bands and a smaller group that are good. And even in that, it's still a matter of personal taste.

Thanks to the fans of JT for their kind posts about us on this thread. It is greatly appreciated and we all know that it is the true fans of U2 whom's opinion really matters most!

Chas
The Joshua Tree
www.U2JT.com.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Thanks! I can play their stuff. Anyone can learn someone else's songs and duplicate them if you put enough hours into it. Only a few people actually write their own songs and do them well.

Back
Top Bottom