i don't even know why i'm posting this here and i'm sure no one will read this but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

look see the story, what would you do?

• return to work with no limitations (meaning i'd have to stop going to my doctor's appointments)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • go on unpaid leave (meaning i couldn't find alternate employment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • quit my job (meaning my insurance would be $$$$$$$$)

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
EDIT: well it seems to have magically worked out. it figures, as soon as i post a thread about it! :lmao: my lawyer managed to do the impossible. my employer had told me i'd run out of disability pay, but she somehow managed to get them to put me BACK on short term disability. so i'm going to be making what i have been making. it's not a lot but it will pay the bills. plus this way my insurance will stay the super cheap employee rate. :love:

i'm going to leave the original post up for posterity so the thread at least makes some sense. :)

i'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place here. as some of you may know i was in a really bad car accident about four months ago. and as some of you may also know, i've been out on short term disability because of this. my injuries were kinda severe, i mean no broken bones but thanks to a bunch of asshole doctors in it more for the money and less for the care (omg lawsuit throw her out of the office even though she's got really good insurance!! let's not perform any tests!!) you'd think after four months i'd be feeling better than i am.

well anyway, to make a long story short, i have now run out of disability pay. long term disability is not an option. that's for people who are pretty much bed stricken, those are the people you see on cops where they say "they SAID they were sick and couldn't work. here they are installing their satellite dish. here they are at a baseball game." you know, the kinda shit where it's like basically you can't even do the most mundane shit so you're very likely to get tailed by people like mr. baw in case you're defrauding the insurance company. so yeah, that's not me. i'm too sick to sit at a desk for 40 hours, but not sick enough to where i can't sit at a desk for, say, 20 hours. but that's not an option either. (the company will not let me do half days or anything.)

so i received a letter from my employer stating my disability pay was running out. i am left with three options, which you will see are stated on the poll:

1. return to work with NO limitations (discussed further down)
2. go on unpaid leave (i have up to 12 weeks of this available)
3. quit my job

now, let's discuss each thing. as i said, i have to return with no limitations. given that i'm broke and my family can't afford to support me, i can't afford to not work. so i went to my doctor and we discussed the letter (and she also told me about the long term disability thing and that i was basically fucked, if i wanted to earn any money anymore i'd have to work) and she agreed to write me a release letter stating that i could return, but i'd have to be able to go to physical therapy, continue being under the care of my doctors (because i haven't even been given the clean bill of health by any of them or even been back for a freaking follow-up by anyone yet), and also be allowed to get up and stretch every hour. not too unreasonable, right? it doesn't say i should be allowed to take a 15 minute break every hour or anything.

well, they told me specifically that there need to be no restrictions. basically, i need to return as if it's pre-accident. no leaving early or coming in late for doctor's visits or physical therapy, nothing. and they balked at the stretching every hour thing, which realistically every employee at a desk should be doing. it's horrible for your back to be sitting for hours on end without getting up even for just a minute. unfortunately i know back in the day people used to take breaks but then people started abusing it. i'm not one of those people, but they say one bad apple...

now, about the unpaid leave. this is basically useless to me. i have 12 weeks available in which i would be an employee but i wouldn't make any money. oh, and my job wouldn't be held for me either. really the only benefit for this is i'd be paying regular insurance premiums instead of cobra. (as i know from my husband's, mine are like $68 a month versus cobra's $300ish a month.) quite a savings. but still, not enough for me to really justify me even considering this an option. i'll explain why. see, while i'm on disability, if i am hired anywhere else, i will be responsible to pay my employer back every dime they've given me while on disability. back salary as well as insurance premiums. eek. so if i'm not going to make any money for 12 weeks i'd rather at least be able to look for a new job.

so that brings me to option #3, quit. i'd have to go on cobra for my insurance (because with all this shit i obviously can't go without insurance, because i don't even know what's wrong with my back yet and i've not even had an mri of that done yet because my back doctor is a complete jerk and i may need back surgery which is expensive and means i'd be out of work for a while which my current employer would probably forbid) which is super expensive, but at least i can look for a new job. but of course, that doesn't mean i'd find one.

so, what do you think? please vote. anyone wanna donate to the charity of khan? kidding? :D

Last edited:
:slant: i'd said that cobra is a little more than $300 a month whereas i'm paying about $68 a month right now. and no, they won't let me back on with any restrictions. if they were, i wouldn't have to consider quitting or unpaid leave as options.

It sounds like your doctors are a bunch of fucking morons if you don't mind me saying so. They ought to be ashamed of what they are doing. Can't you go to another doctor or anyone else? Maybe sue these pricks? Jesus! This makes me mad.

And what kind of job do you have???

I don't know what to tell you except that i'm really sorry that you are going through this. :yikes: :hug:

U2Girl1978 said:
It sounds like your doctors are a bunch of fucking morons if you don't mind me saying so. They ought to be ashamed of what they are doing. Can't you go to another doctor or anyone else? Maybe sue these pricks? Jesus! This makes me mad.
i know, it's amazing how the "best" doctors in the city are. the "best" orthopedic doctor in the city took one look at my fractured knee two weeks after my accident and told me (practically verbatim here) "just walk on it. it'll heal up in maybe three, six months." :|

granted, he was right, but you don't just fucking say that and nothing else to a patient! the other one i went to for my knee (ironically named dr. neel :laugh:) went into a lot more detail and even broke out a model to show me where my fracture was and that it was hairline and didn't need to be operated on, it'd heal by itself, etc. i'm not wanting surgery and lots of drugs but damnit don't dumb my diagnoses down so much that you essentially tell me nothing!

and the worst part of it all is my lawyer is saying we cannot start the process of settling until i am all healed up. wtf! what if i need back surgery! it could be another six months before i'm all healed up! i can't go that long with my $150 in the bank, especially with my $3000+ in credit card debt. i was expecting to return to work yesterday and start paying this shit down. plus, my lawyer wants me to do the unpaid leave route and can't seem to understand that these bills will not pay themselves and i have no one to turn to to get them paid for me! i have no rich relatives or even any upper-middle class relatives to turn to. i've got my parents (who are helping me out as much as they can as it is), my unemployed aunt, and my graundparents who are all on fixed incomes living in retirement communities.

U2Girl1978 said:
And what kind of job do you have???
i have a shitty data entry job that i hate and at least if i have to quit, i'll be glad i won't have to do it anymore. data entry jobs suck, the pay is shit and you get treated like shit. you're at the bottom of the food chain and if you're lucky you can climb up by your teeth to something better, if you have 75 years of experience and a phd. which i don't.

i'm just consoling myself in the fact that when this is all over, i can go back and finish what i started years ago: i'm going to go back to college and get a degree so i don't have to do these stupid desk jobs anymore and get a job that i actually look forward to. a job where in the morning i don't wake up and think "oh god, is it morning already? why can't it be saturday already?"

U2Girl1978 said:
I don't know what to tell you except that i'm really sorry that you are going through this. :yikes: :hug:
thanks. it means a lot. :hug:

Oh my God... I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through! :hug: The 'no stretching at work policy' sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Have they never heard of Ergonomics, for fuck's sake??? :rant: Can't you perhaps live with your parents and simultaneously look for a better job?

I can't believe your doctors said that. :no:

Maybe your only option is to just quit your job since you hate it(I used to do data entry..:yuck). It will be tough because you will owe money but maybe you can set up a payment plan or something? If your job is treating you like this I would leave.

It's a hard decision. :| :huh:

KhanadaRhodes said:

well, they told me specifically that there need to be no restrictions. basically, i need to return as if it's pre-accident. no leaving early or coming in late for doctor's visits or physical therapy, nothing. and they balked at the stretching every hour thing, which realistically every employee at a desk should be doing.

Three words to explore here:
Americans with
Disabilities
Act

Your employer may legally have to accomodate your more than reasonable needs, especially if you doctor requires it. I'm sure the county where you live has a person to help you with this. CALL them at least to find out.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'm just consoling myself in the fact that when this is all over, i can go back and finish what i started years ago: i'm going to go back to college and get a degree so i don't have to do these stupid desk jobs anymore and get a job that i actually look forward to. a job where in the morning i don't wake up and think "oh god, is it morning already? why can't it be saturday already?"

:yes: absolutely!

I would seriously suggest you do that. Quit your job, go back to college, finish your degree. You'll have to tighten your belt right now as far as finances are concerned (fees etc.). But you can always work part-time I think as you study. Then once you're out, you can look for a much better job that actually makes use of your degree! You'll be earning much more and can pay back all your debts in time! What do you think I'm doing now? Working as an engineer but also paying off my huge debts!

Zootlesque said:
Oh my God... I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through! :hug: The 'no stretching at work policy' sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Have they never heard of Ergonomics, for fuck's sake??? :rant: Can't you perhaps live with your parents and simultaneously look for a better job?
thanks. yeah, they're a huge corporation, i'm guessing they're been screwed by a bunch of people going "aww shit, i'm gonna be rich!!" when they fall and sprain their ankle. this isn't even a work related injury but they don't want it to become one. but if they'd let me get up and walk around like the doctor said then i wouldn't get injured! :der:

and yes, ever since my accident the plan has been to move back in with my parents, even before i knew i'd have to quit my job and shit. 16 days until i lose my freedom. :sigh: i'll have lost of freedom fries that days to make up for it. :eek:migor:

oh, as for ergonomics, like over three months ago my doctor told them i'd needed a headset. this was back before i went on disability and was working half days. they were like oh sure okay, we need to upgrade your phone, because the phone system there is ooooold. like older than me. i was there yesterday and my phone had STILL not been replaced! wtf! people have got like bling bling phones with caller id and like 500 extensions and i need one with just like multiple extensions (i know what i'm picturing in my head, basically everyone in my department has it but me, how ironic that i'm the only one with the el cheapo ghetto phone) so i could use the headset. oh well.

U2Girl1978 said:
I can't believe your doctors said that. :no:

Maybe your only option is to just quit your job since you hate it(I used to do data entry..:yuck). It will be tough because you will owe money but maybe you can set up a payment plan or something? If your job is treating you like this I would leave.

It's a hard decision. :| :huh:
yeah i know. and this guy was highly recommended. oh well, maybe he didn't like me because i'm only 21. the woman who recommended him to me is much older, in her late 50s. maybe he didn't like me because it has to do with a car accident. i think her injury was arthritis or something like that.

i just hate this, i am so frustrated. between the amount i will owe for cobra and the amount i'll owe for my credit cards and cell phone, i'll have to find a job where i'm making at least $500 a month after taxes, if i mean bare bones, no spending money on anything else. plus i owe my ex over a thousand dollars and he has no job because he was in a car accident too (a different one than me) and can't work until he can get his cast off and his shoulder heals. but that's another story.

i left a message for my boss telling her i was working it out with my doctor and i'd call her on monday to buy me some time. i really don't know what to do with this.

the end of 2004 was pretty shitty, and i know people usually look at things as a calendar year (like "this year sucked/ruled") but given that 2004 went downhill right around august, i'm hoping things start to improve around july then because if i'm going to have more than 12 straight months of suckiness i'm going to be pissed.

This is too hard.. I cant even decide.

I'm sorry Khan... :( this is a terrible thing for you to have to deal with.

Re: Re: i don't even know why i'm posting this here and i'm sure no one will read this bu

martha said:
Americans with
Disabilities
Act

Your employer may legally have to accomodate your more than reasonable needs, especially if you doctor requires it. I'm sure the county where you live has a person to help you with this. CALL them at least to find out.
i honestly doubt it. i live in tennessee, a right to work state, which should really be called a right to fire state. they can fire you for no reason whatsoever, unless you can actually prove you were discriminated against which is hard unless you're black. (i'm not being racist here but shit most of this city is.) but i will look into it to see if there are any guidelines. the only problem is i don't really have any disabilities that i know of. aside from a fractured knee they've not diagnosed me with any back problems or anything. all of these doctors are treading so fucking carefully that hardly anyone's run any tests on me. for all i know a disc that's supposed to be in my lower back could be orbiting around my neck. i am finally going to see my back doctor soon so hopefully i will finally be able to convince that son of a bitch that yeah, i do fucking need an mri. that prick actually had the nerve to sit back and tell me he couldn't understand why there was a lawsuit.

i almost got killed in a car accident because some 18 wheeler fucking tried to run over me. i explained what happened and he treated me like some stupid teenager joyriding (mind you, i was driving home from work, doing the speed limit, no less) and plowed into someone because i wasn't paying attention. the 18 wheeler failed to yield and i went underneath his cab. i had to be pried out from underneath the cab, and it was apparently so traumatic that even from the moment it happened i didn't remember the accident. i almost died; even at the hospital they weren't sure if i was going to make it and they wouldn't let my family see me for over an hour after i arrived because they were trying to stabilize me. all because some jackass truck driver couldn't wait fifteen more goddamn seconds to make his fucking left turn. yeah it was rush hour on a busy street but traffic was unusually light that evening. i do remember there weren't many people behind me. i probably had a huge break coming up. and even if i didn't he should've fucking waited.

i saw the aftermath of my accident on the news just out of morbid curiosity. i didn't want to try to jog my memory, but it had been a month and i still didn't have an accident report. i'd had a good idea of what company the truck driver was with and it was eating me up as to what happened. i had no idea who's fault it was. i knew i wouldn't fuck with a truck driver but i didn't know. i was having nightmares and it was scaring me. so we did some calling around and found a place that archived news clips. turns out i was right about everything. whether i was remembering or just knew how shitty that company of truck drivers were i dunno. i still don't remember the accident. in fact, i still don't remember much of anything. a thought, any random thought, can pop into my head and i can forget it before i get a chance to say it. i didn't used to be a forgetful person.

ugh, sorry, i didn't mean to say all this shit, and a lot of this i'd already said in the past accident threads. but all of this has just got me so fucking upset.

Re: Re: i don't even know why i'm posting this here and i'm sure no one will read thi

martha said:

Americans with
Disabilities
Act

Yes. Go to work. And if they give you a hassle, remind them about this act repeatedly. Federal law will always trump any fucking state "right to work" bullshit. You can't afford not to go to work, and you've admitted it.

If they fire you and you can't fight it, then you get unemployment insurance and you'll still be eligible for COBRA.

So I think your choice is fairly spelled out for you, even if it is not that desirable.

Melon

Also, unless you are in a state with "no fault auto insurance," consider suing the semi company for lots of money, if it was determined that it was the semi's fault for the accident. You are in quite a predicament, and they should be forced to pay for your problems here. Then you could quit your job completely.

Melon

melon said:
Also, unless you are in a state with "no fault auto insurance," consider suing the semi company for lots of money, if it was determined that it was the semi's fault for the accident. You are in quite a predicament, and they should be forced to pay for your problems here. Then you could quit your job completely.
i am suing them actually. :)

this is the big problem as to why i'm hesitant about returning to work: they want me to return with NO restrictions. they will not let me see my doctors. they have told me in no uncertain terms that what my doctor wrote in the release note is unacceptable (she wrote that i needed to be allowed to continue treatment with my doctors and physical therapists as well as get up every hour to stretch, which i need to do for my back and knee).

none of my doctors have released me from their care, in fact i've yet to even have an mri done of my back, which hurts most of all. hopefully this will be rectified as i have an appointment with my back doctor soon. but for all i know he may tell me i have a disc out of place (i'm not a pessimist but given that i have to think in the long term with the situation i've been put in i have to consider every possibility) and i need surgery right away. and then what happens?

i work for a huge company with locations all over the u.s. and canada, they are a by-the-book company. given how fucked up the state's laws and how the employee basically has no rights in this state, i'm probably fucked. i will, however, talk with my lawyer about this ada tomorrow and see if this applies to me. since i've not been actually diagnosed with anything it might not, i dunno.

:hug: Khan :hug:

I am not familiar with any of the laws or acts or companies named above...however, I think Melon and Martha have given you some really sound advice.

I didn't vote...but I'm leaning towards go back to work and document everything your employer does or doesn't do and copy it to your attorney.

Re: Re: Re: i don't even know why i'm posting this here and i'm sure no one will read thi

melon said:

Yes. Go to work. And if they give you a hassle, remind them about this act repeatedly. Federal law will always trump any fucking state "right to work" bullshit. You can't afford not to go to work, and you've admitted it.

:up:

melon (as usual :) ) is right. regardless of your state's employment laws, the federal anti-discrimination law applies.

check out this site--it outlines the labor laws in Tennessee, and links to the Job Accomodation Network, and outlines the basic gist of the ADA. http://www.tennessee.gov/labor-wfd/lsques.html#laborlaws

talk to your attorney, but i think you would qualify as a person with a disability. it may not be long term, but for now, your injuries are indefinitely impacting your ability to work full time, backed up with legitimate medical opinions.

given that you are willing and are able to work at least part time, your employer has a duty to make reasonable accomodations for you. it sounds like your employer is trying to bully you. don't let them. do some research, talk to your attorney, and let your employer know that you know your rights.

good luck, and i hope things get better for you soon.

you might want to check with your county to see if you can get some type of medicaid or medicare ( I can never remember which one) until you get back to earning an income. They also might give you some money after you find a new job
(the old ones not worth it). I know a friend who was in an accident last year & that's what he did. They covered his medical costs. Also you definately have some type of lawsuit against those medicine men. They're not doctors, they're idiots.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom