i do not understand this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
how many people here still think i'm a guy?

without saying anything, pictures (and the one picture i had/have here is fuzzy as hell, so you'd never know anyway), or anything, why is it that so many people online automatically assume i'm a guy?

i've got a gender neutral screen name, i'll give you that much. and it isn't exactly easy to guess what you've got on the other end of a computer somewhere halfway across the country, or in some cases on the other side of the planet, but is there something about what i say, or how i say it that causes people to come to this conclusion? how many people in that old 'describe the person who posted before you' thread described me as '^is a girl :ohmy: sorry!' or something along those lines. usually a bit more polite and a bit more appologetic/embarrased. hell, even when i posted in PLEBA, why, mr. u2popmofo assumed i was a gay guy rather than a girl.

it's just a little wierd.

I've had this happen to me as well. I just ignore it. I guess some people assume since a post and poster's name are gender neutral, it must be a guy, or they take a 50/50 chance and chose wrong. Not all of the ladies on this board frequent pleba and end their posts with "omg bono is soooo hot!". But maybe if you don't want to be confused with a guy anymore you could add that phrase to your sig...:wink:

I was mistaken for a guy at another message board...and I use this name there as well.

What's not to understand about "chick"?

IWB, I admit, I thought you were a guy for the longest time. Who knows. Maybe it's because you like the type of music that not too many ladies I know like Punk (or whatever the current label is). I always thought you had good taste though :lol:

Also have you ever posted a picture of yourself on Interference? I don't think I even know what you look like :huh:

IWasBored said:
hell, even when i posted in PLEBA, why, mr. u2popmofo assumed i was a gay guy rather than a girl.

:ohmy:

You sure?? I dont remember that at all. I do remember thinking you were a guy at first (from your Bill the Butcher avatar), but I never remember thinking anything else! If I told you that, I was totally kidding, but I honestly dont even remember saying anything like that!

Anyways, dont sweat it. HOS thought I was a girl at first. It's the internet, who knows, who cares. :up:

Re: Re: i do not understand this.

Maybe it's because you like the type of music that not too many ladies I know like Punk (or whatever the current label is)

that makes sense.

even if LJ thinks you are......

:lol:

u2popmofo said:

:ohmy:

You sure?? I dont remember that at all. I do remember thinking you were a guy at first (from your Bill the Butcher avatar), but I never remember thinking anything else! If I told you that, I was totally kidding, but I honestly dont even remember saying anything like that!

Anyways, dont sweat it. HOS thought I was a girl at first. It's the internet, who knows, who cares. :up:

you were kidding? i think you edited the posts in that thread, so there's probably no proof lying around...but i swear it happened :scratch:

yeah, i'm not too worried about it. just curious.

I have been mistaken for a girl many times because I hang out in PLEBA a lot, specially at the beginning of my posting here. I guess people just don't look at profiles very often. :shrug:

I admit I also used to think you were a guy IWB. You suddenly became very attractive once I realized you were a girl. :sexywink: I guess people think you're a dude cause you're not all very feminine and a t times you can be a bit aggressive (not that that's a bad thing :wink: ). I like this kind of personality on a girl. :yes:

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
I have been mistaken for a girl many times because I hang out in PLEBA a lot, specially at the beginning of my posting here. I guess people just don't look at profiles very often. :shrug:

I hang out in PLEBA as much as you do and am frequently mistaken for a guy. :shrug: :lol:

I think the "Yankees Suck" line on your location is a big reason. Not too many women would insult a baseball team in that space.

IWB--I thought at first you were a guy, as mentioned above, only because of the music thing. You're so knowledgeable about music AND you happen to like a certain musical style that's pretty hardcore. Not many girls (at least the girls I know) are into that kind of stuff (although I am, I'm not at your level). So all that, combined with the gender neutral screen name and...

I also don't think I've ever seen you post "OMG, he's sooooo hot." :sexywink:

But I have learned 2 things about you:

1) NEVER mistake IWB for a boy
2) NEVER assume she was bored.

I can't remember if I thought you were a guy. (I remember the Bill the Butcher avatar though!) I don't think I ever did.

Right now I have a really feminine screen name, but whenever I go with anything neutral, I am usually mistaken for a guy. :huh:

To be honest I never really think about sex and gender online unless it's blatantly in someone's screen name. So I'm not guilty... or innocent either. :huh: I'm just kind of there. I exist. The Butcher avatar was pretty sweet, BTW. (Big Day-Lewis fan here)

stammer476 said:
I think the "Yankees Suck" line on your location is a big reason. Not too many women would insult a baseball team in that space.

you're not from massachusetts, are you. i've seen plenty of girls wearing 'yankees suck/jeter swallows' shirts around here. they don't just make them in blue, they make them in pink, too.

anyway, i actually put that in there after i posted this thread.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

I also don't think I've ever seen you post "OMG, he's sooooo hot." :sexywink:

:laugh: there are very few times where i actually do say that...and usually it's while talking to friends, not in public. so yeah...

2) NEVER assume she was bored.

:lol:

IWasBored said:
:laugh: there are very few times where i actually do say that...and usually it's while talking to friends, not in public. so yeah...
One word: Hugh.

:wink:

I don't remember ever thinking you were a guy, but I've been mistaken for once twice! I think my name is pretty feminine, and one of them was a fellow Pleban. It's an exclusive club.

IWasBored said:

you're not from massachusetts, are you. i've seen plenty of girls wearing 'yankees suck/jeter swallows' shirts around here. they don't just make them in blue, they make them in pink, too.

Hey, I'm from frickin Michigan and it's an issue here!

Back
Top Bottom