I decided what to do with my life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynz778

The Fly
I am going into paramedics. I am in year 11 now, so have one year of highschool left. I know it would be a tough job, but I can think of nothing that would be better for me. I am fairly emotional, so I hope I will be able to deal with the stress and things, but it would be awesome to help people in such an immediate way.

Anyone else invloved in this line of work or know anything about it?

My friend's dad is a paramedic. He loved it until he got promoted to a higher position to do with controls rather than actually going out to help people.. he hated that and wanted to get back to his old position. Sounds like being a paramedic was what he wanted to do most so I would assume its a very rewarding job. 'Fraid thats all the info I can offer you! :wink:

My little (little as in 24 lol) sister is a paramedic, but I honestly don't know much about it. I know that she drives her regular car like she's in the ambulance with the lights and sirens going though! :eek:

Lynz778.

If you are in Britain then try www.nhscareers.nhs.uk - the website has loads of info about all different healthcare professions, including ambulance technicians and paramedics.

I certainly think it is a career that requires quick thinking and the ability to take a calm approach to things. Being emotional shouldn't stop you - if you didn't have these emotions then I expect you wouldn't choose such a career in the first place! Perhaps join St Johns or something similar if you haven't already or see if you can arrange some sort of visit to the ambulance station through your school careers adviser -then you can make a more informed choice about the profession.

Best of luck in your chosen profession:up:

If you're fairly emotional, you'll need to find a way to deal with that. They (the ambulance assoc.) wont put up with it, and neither will yourself or your friends/family for too long if the job gets to you. My husband looked at applying for the NSW lot and I have the applications somewhere here on the computer. It is rather intensive and difficult to get into, but seems pretty secure once you are.

Are you in Aus?

Yeah I'm in Sydney. I've been looking at uni's and you need to get special tests done, I imagine for psychological and health reasons, to check if your fit for the job. It's what I really want to do, so hopefully I can overcome the problems I might have.

For all those high stress jobs, there's a lot of support for staff. The police force, firies, ambos, all of them have staff counselling and support networks. In anything to do with welfare, there's a high burnout rate so they try and work with the effects of the job on staff. If this is what you want to do, then dont let anything stand in your way!
Good luck :)

I'm about to start up at medical school....it's quite a terrifying step up, but one which should be great fun and a great challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, even though I looked, and posted in this thread before, I glanced quick and saw the title

"I decided what to do with my wife"
:ohmy:
:reject: / :shifty: / :tongue: / :sexywink: / :macdevil:

Back
Top Bottom