I cleaned out my closet today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justified

Refugee
and discovered I have way too many clothes and shoes! :scream:

I have piles of clothing everywhere. one pile will go to my sister. I have nice clothing that I am now longer wearing, I would hate to give it away. in another pile are a pile of old shoes which should be tossed but I think i am going to give them to goodwill. in a 3rd pile I have clothing that i am going to give to goodwill or to a consignment, but I am not sure which route to take. It would be nice to get money for clothing I don't wear anymore. In about 5 other piles are clothes and shoes that I still wear and have now been divided into seasons. :rolleyes: seriously, I have over several thousands of $$ in clothes and shoes. I wonder why I am in debt! :der: :tsk:

Shit--I know how you feel.

I just dropped off a load of clothes to Goodwill, and I currently have a big bag of clothes stashed in my trunk from a garage sale we had last summer. I think I only sold a few pairs of shorts and some shoes :| Right now, my closet is still full and almost overflowing with shoes. Plus I have two full dressers of clothes...really, it's absurd. I even have two 'underwear' drawers, and it's not like I'm ms. Victoria Secret or something.

:help:

I manage to fill up big bag every two months or so with clothes for the Salvation Army. I used to have a shopping problem and some of them weren't even worn much...or still have tags on them. :reject:

Would that be the same closet that attacked you a while back Iris? :laugh:

Seriously, I know how you feel. I'm doing our taxes right now and going over our Goodwill receipts, I was floored by how many of them said "19 bags of clothing" and "12 bags of clothing and shoes"

We made 8 HUGE donations last year and my closet is still bulging with clothes and shoes. :|

I have no clothes in my way in the closet thanks to a move last summer. I go by "if you don't wear it for two or more years it's gone." I've never been sorry for getting rid of something if I haven't worn it in a few years.

My sister has a good system for cleaning out her closet. She sells her clothes to her friends. She's such a shopaholic so she buys tons of stuff and then doesnt' have room for it all. Her two friends that are my sisters same size are both on very limited budgets and don't always have the money to buy clothes from the Gap, Express, Limited, or whever else my sister shops. So she sells them really cheap. Her friends love it and my sister gets some money out of the deal. I think it actually started that she wanted to give the stuff to them but they refused to take it unless they paid.

Bono's American Wife said:
Would that be the same closet that attacked you a while back Iris? :laugh:

Seriously, I know how you feel. I'm doing our taxes right now and going over our Goodwill receipts, I was floored by how many of them said "19 bags of clothing" and "12 bags of clothing and shoes"

We made 8 HUGE donations last year and my closet is still bulging with clothes and shoes. :|

We need the Tax write-offs more than an Ebay sale! :yes:

My wardrobe is exploding all over the place and I can't bring myself to get rid of any of it :|

since I started working at a hosiery and lingerie company, my underwear collection has gone out of control. I now have 2 drawers full of hosiery alone. Plus a big drawer each for bras, knickers and socks :| :|

I don't even like a lot of it. I've just got it cos it was free :lol:

Time to make a trip to the local Oxfam shop, I think :up:

Yes Char, this is the same Closet that attacked me. I finally fought back and cleared it out yesterday. I remember watching Queer Eye a few weeks ago and Carson said "if you haven't worn it in over a year, toss it" So that is what I have done, however I apparently have a ton of clothing that I continue to wear because the piles of the clothing that I am keeping are not that small. :crack:

the one thing I cannot toss out is my shoe collection. I tossed shoes out that are over 4 years old but I am NOT tossing out my super nice shoes. I swear I feel like Carrie Bradshaw when she was making room for Aiden to move in to her apartment. :laugh: I see shoes and outfits that I love and I get all giddy when I find them again. :der:

And what is even worse is that I have found clothes with the shopping tags still on them, I buy stuff and forget I even have it. :tsk:

Last edited:
I would if I could figure out a way to list the items properly. besides I do not have a digital camera and do not feel like taking the time of waiting for a bidder. I am ready to get rid of the excess clothing. :wave: buh bye Ann Taylor wardrobe from 99, 2000, 2001 and 2002. :wave:

This summer I went through everything I own (clothes, electronics, junk, camping equipment, etc...) and tossed everything I hadn't used in the past two weeks, excluding things of sentimental value (gymnastics and U2 collectables) and seasonal items (winter clothes and camping stuff). I now have not enough clothes to fill the standard three-drawer dresser they give us in the dorms (the top drawer is for snacks and dishes). I used to have so many old clothes and hand-me-downs I never wore, I was quit proud when I moved back into the dorms that I fit ALL of my clothes and shoes in two regular laundry baskets. Everything else I kept at home and I'm planning a yard sale for the summer. It's nice b/c my mom caught on and is letting me sell her junk with mine and I think I get to keep the profits (she just wants it gone).

I always give my stuff to charity. I feel guilty having it and not using it when their are people out there who could really use what I have. I keep shoes forever though. I wear them until they are literally falling off my feet. I try to give away the ones that are in somewhat decent condition.

I also have this wierd complex about buying stuff from good will or Salvation Army. I feel guilty when I do, like I'm taking away an outfit from someone who really needs it. For example, my brother went as one of the Blues Brothers for Halloween and I made sure that he donated the suit coat he got at Goodwill back b/c what if some guy really needed a cheap black suit coat to go on a job interview and some college punk like my brother bought it.
Am I neurotic? I think so....

WildHoneyAlways said:

Am I neurotic? I think so....

No, I mean, I look at it this way: the income gap between me and the person that donated the item is probably much greater than the gap between me and the "poorer" person that could have bought the item had I not. :D

Back
Top Bottom