I can't take a compliment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
If anyone says anything nice to me I disregard it I don't like compliments. :shrug: They make me feel really uncomfortable. Then I complain nobody ever says anything nice about me and I just got a message from my friend telling me he thinks Im brilliant and gorgeous and intelligent and wonderful and I told him to shut up :der:

And yeah thats another problem right there, all my friends are boys, at university I go to lunch with a different guy/ group of guys everyday. Now I am afraid they jsut see me as one of the "lads" (hate the word lad :| ) Okay actually I have made some girl friends too but there are 3 boys in all my french classes and I have got their numbers and I have made friends with practically all the other guys on the course. :der: I dont want to be a tomboy but I dont want to be girlie either :mad:

And I really like one of the boys too - he asked me to meet him outsdie our lecture room and then said he couldnt meet me unless he had my number so asked for my number - I thought he liked me but he has a girlfriend :mad: She lives far away though so im hoping they might break up :silent: How mean am I? Hes really nice though hes very shy and quiet (not a bit like me loud and talkative) and he gets me all the worksheets at the beginning of lectures and gets lunch with me and carries my tray and all :cute:- hes not a freak like the other guys who ask me out.

I am just whining and being selfish. I apologise.

Last edited:
When I get a compliment, I smile and say "what a nice thing to say!" That's neither agreeing or disagreeing with the compliment giver.

i was out with my friends last night and the min i walked in the door at the bar two of my male friends told me i looked very nice. i felt weird when they said that, so i just patted them on the back, looked up at the tv and said "fuck yeah the Marlins won!" and then I said "thank you". :reject: :slant:

sometimes it's really hard to agree with people. i know if anyone ever says anything nice about me, i'll tell them the opposite. i'm sorry, but i really do beleive that i'm and uncool fucking loser, and you might not think so, but you know what? you're wrong? why the hell would you want to be my friend? why are you talking to me? run! before you're seen with a jackass such as myself1

seriously. maybe i've got low self-esteem or something.

IWasBored said:
sometimes it's really hard to agree with people. i know if anyone ever says anything nice about me, i'll tell them the opposite. i'm sorry, but i really do beleive that i'm and uncool fucking loser, and you might not think so, but you know what? you're wrong? why the hell would you want to be my friend? why are you talking to me? run! before you're seen with a jackass such as myself1

seriously. maybe i've got low self-esteem or something.

:eek: You're ME!!!

as long as I think it's sincere I don't have any problem taking a compliment
though sometimes I do have to repress the urge to react in a joking way

well geez Uni sounds like an interesting place. Just relax and enjoy it laura and keep yourself safe.

:up: tomboys imho

Compliments? they are rather rare around these here parts and lately perhaps, deservedly so.
I'll tell you this 'cause I think it is funny....
a couple of weeks ago I was in a mood and had the need of some kind of affirmation and sometimes you have to take the direct approach. I said to hub,"say something nice to me...please"

He's a man of few words, so I was really putting him on the spot. I could almost see the cogs in his brain doing a search( at least he tried)
he said
"you're garden is looking really nice"

:eeklaugh:

:lmao:

I think it's funny,
not quite what I had in mind, but funny

sorry laura..I use the word "lad" quite regularly.

maybe we both should stop apologising
:)

cass said:
a couple of weeks ago I was in a mood and had the need of some kind of affirmation and sometimes you have to take the direct approach. I said to hub,"say something nice to me...please"

He's a man of few words, so I was really putting him on the spot. I could almost see the cogs in his brain doing a search( at least he tried)
he said
"you're garden is looking really nice"

:eeklaugh:

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

I :heart: you cass, I really do

that's the best story I've read in a long time

A girl called me "fine" once. I laughed. :slant:

I guess it depends on the compliment and who's giving it. If it's just something like "hey, I like your haircut/clothes/whatever" then it's no biggie, but if it's something over-the-top like "you're so incredibly handsome and sexy" I feel uncomfortable and usually try to joke around with it or something, because in my head I'm thinking "uh....no I'm not..." ;)

Last edited:
I can't take them either. Lately, I hit on a good way to respond, or a better way than I had...now I just wave my hand dismissingly. They can interpret it however they want.

Usually I just say "Oh." :der: Or something equally dumb. I blow all social encounters, especially the important ones. :huh:

A guy told me today to "stop being so self-deprecating."
:laugh:

I cant take them either Lara.

depending thou, family, I take, and say thanks and giggle.

:D

but anyone else, esp a male stranger.......I say 'no Im not' if he says Im gorgeous.......I dont believe in it....I dont believe Im 'good-looking' for anyone.
And if a guy is looking at me and Im feeling ugly I feel like telling him to fuck off and stop looking.......

I would prob give a guy a speech that would leave him speechless.

mad1 said:
is that to me Joyful?

:)

If it is, I cant girl......:(

If not.......:D (hey T.O.M. know what a mean? :shifty:..)

It's for everybody who can't take a compliment. I used to always put myself down when I got a compliment until a therapist pointed out to me that that was just as ego-driven so then I just started saying thank you whether I agreed with the compliment or not. When people compliment you, they are seeing something in you that they lack or that they wish they could develop in themselves (except for when there is a hidden agenda which is usually pretty obvious). So even if you can't see it yourself, I think it's best just to smile and say thank you. That's all. Even you, maddie. C'mon girl, I know you can do it.

I cant say thank you - I hate compliments

My friend: "The worst compliment you can give Laura is to tell her she is pretty"

joyfulgirl said:
I used to always put myself down when I got a compliment until a therapist pointed out to me that that was just as ego-driven
:hmm: I'm actually starting to agree with therapists now

Back
Top Bottom