I can't spell this one word!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen-Girl

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
All my life i've been spelling gray - grey. To me that looks right but yesterday when I made some certificates for my fiance's basketball team (Calverton Gray) I spelt it Grey LOL :huh: He says that's how they spell it in the Uk but not in the US. Perhaps it's cos I got taught by them irish nuns? :shrug:

USA spelling gives me the whoops too. It is difficult coping with 2 different spelling systems.

So...... when the yanks changed their spelling so it was phonetic, why didnt they change 'phonetic' to be spelt phonetically.? :huh:

MG, both are actually correct....grey or gray....i looked it up once in the dictionary cuz i always spell it gray but i saw it spelled grey too.

-------------------------
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grey

gray1 also grey ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gr)
adj. gray?er, also grey?er gray?est, grey?est
Of or relating to an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white.

Dull or dark: a gray, rainy afternoon.
Lacking in cheer; gloomy: a gray mood.

Having gray hair; hoary.
Old or venerable.
Intermediate in character or position, as with regard to a subjective matter: the gray area between their differing opinions on the film's morality.

n.
An achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white.
An object or animal of the color gray.
often Gray
A member of the Confederate Army in the Civil War.
The Confederate Army.

v. grayed, also greyed gray?ing, grey?ing grays, greys
v. tr.

Last edited:
i think it's kinda like spelling smilie

smilie or smiley...it works either way

Gray is USA spelling. Grey is spelling for most of the rest of the English speaking world.

According to the Macquarie Dictionary (famous Australian dictionary) at end of the entry for grey there is ' Also, Chiefly U.S., gray'. There is no entry for gray in the Macquarie.

So, it depends which country you are standing in when participating in a spelling competition as to which is correct. :wink:

Last edited:
90% of the time I don't understand people even when they do spell 100% correct
so it doesn't matter all that much to me

:confused: I didn't know gray is possible too, over here when we were studying English it was always "grey". :shrug:

I always spell it 'grey', but I've spelled 'colour' and 'favourite' with u's since I was about 10....:shrug: I still can't get over words like 'gaol', though. I always want to pronounce it 'gayool' when I read it. :crack: I think I spelled it 'jail' in an essay and didn't get any points taken off or any comment on it, so I guess no one cares if my spelling is consistent. :D

Back
Top Bottom