I can't believe some people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I enjoy reading several local newspapers and from time to time will check out the readers's comments sections and I can't believe some of the pure hate and bigotry that people type out. Perhaps it's the anonymity of the internet, but some things are just awful. Case in point, in the local CT paper there have been countless articles about a recent attack by a chimp and the forum had to be closed because people were making all sorts of associations between the chimp and black people. This is in CT, not somewhere down South. We're supposed to be better than that, I mean WTF? It goes beyond those articles as well, but it really makes me feel pretty ashamed, angry, etc of what some people believe or at least type out.

It's exactly the same with our local newspaper. Every time a crime story appears, somehow someone will always find an illegal immigration angle and some of the comments are just horrible. People make sick jokes about murders, even laughing and saying a woman from my city who was stabbed to death in front of her kids by her ex boyfriend deserved it because "she chose to breed with a loser." :tsk:

There was one person in particular who was really ticking me off by being a complete know it all, and after reading this person's posts for a few weeks, I suddenly realized by the user name that it was my mom!! :angry: :reject:

If you read the comments to the news on AOL, you would be amazed at what is allowed online. You'd think there would be a moderator deleting all those racist comments, but no!

^ Same for YouTube. I'll be watching a video of something totally mundane like someone's new puppy at his first dog show and the comments are like "fuck ur fagot dog u mutherfucker idiot!!!!1111" :huh:

People can and will say anything they feel like saying on the internet..but odds are that the same people do that in everyday life as well.

Personally I find that it can really drag me down and depress me, and when I find that happening I avoid it.

^ Same for YouTube. I'll be watching a video of something totally mundane like someone's new puppy at his first dog show and the comments are like "fuck ur fagot dog u mutherfucker idiot!!!!1111" :huh:

That's what surprised me the most too. It's ridiculous how stupid people are.

Unfortunately i DO beleive it .....
some awful, henious things are said on the net, on talk shows ( wiith out the cursing , unless it's ?pay radio?) ...... :yikes:

i remove myself (listening/looking) from that stuff most of the time .... though sometimes it is like rubbernecking at a bad car accident....

CT....?
hoo, boy-- New Jersey has a lot of Aryan Nation/KKK types....

not that NYC &S doesn't have it's share as well, but NJ is supposed to be worse.

Sometimes I just turn off the TV/don't read the papers or surf the internet. Some comments of people can barely be called comments anymore. They're just random postings/blabberings which absolutely don't make any sense and are hurtful. I don't understand why people do this. I've torn myself up about this time and time again. It just doesn't make no sense, and that's the only conclusion I can draw. Is it just pure ignorance? Probably. It makes me mad though, real mad. Trying to make sense of it just makes me even more confused. And the sad thing is, it's happening in more and more places worldwide :|

It's exactly the same with our local newspaper. Every time a crime story appears, somehow someone will always find an illegal immigration angle and some of the comments are just horrible. People make sick jokes about murders, even laughing and saying a woman from my city who was stabbed to death in front of her kids by her ex boyfriend deserved it because "she chose to breed with a loser." :tsk:

There was one person in particular who was really ticking me off by being a complete know it all, and after reading this person's posts for a few weeks, I suddenly realized by the user name that it was my mom!! :angry: :reject:

Are you serious??? :eek:

I work at a newspaper and I absolutely hate reader comments. We have people on staff who moderate the comments, which is more than some newspapers seem to do, but we always have personal attacks on the people in our stories and other things slip through before they are caught and deleted. I just don't understand why we require people to sign their full name to letters to the editor that are in the actual paper while allowing people posting to our Web site to write just about anything they want anonymously with no accountablility. The crap that gets posted makes our paper look sleazy by association. We have people who are reluctant to be interviewed for stories because they don't want to be targets for the scum of the earth who post on our Web site.

Unfortunately, since I'm just a reporter and not an editor, my opinon doesn't count for anything with the company.

Back
Top Bottom