I am too spontaneous...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
...and I am a dreamer. Instead of getting a real job and settling down, I am making plans to hit Europe again with my backpack. I was already "hoping" to go back, but now I'm starting to plan on it. The impetus was my best friend announcing his engagement to a Norwegian girl...giving me the perfect excuse to go to Norway for the wedding and then on to the continent. Back to the little community in Switzerland that I stayed at for five weeks last fall. I learned so much about myself and about life while there that I want to go back and stay for at least a year.

So here I am...trying to figure out a way to keep my loan payments at bay and to get my school papers finished. I've already started mapping out an itinerary and I'm working on emailing my handful of contacts to see if I can visit some of them.

I don't know what I want out of life, and I don't know where I'm going. I'll have a degree in Finance in a few months (they actually let me walk last year, but I'm still finishing some distance education classes) but I don't know if I feel up to the ratrace.

Yes, I am probably crazy. It's not the smartest thing to do, and it probably means I'll be in debt for many years yet. But I feel compelled. Travel is in my blood and I can't seem to help myself.

That's my confession.

Thats cool. I wish I had the courage to leave my home for weeks/months at a time and venture out into the world. I'm too much of a home body I guess.
frown.gif

I say do it now while you're young!
biggrin.gif

sula--Do it!! Having done something similar when I was in my 20's, I can honestly say that of all of my big life's decisions, that one was one of the best and something I never ever regretted. If anything, I wish I'd done more of that, and still hope to. And here I am, much older, having goofed off the entire decade of my 20's (according to my mother, anyway--I viewed it as essential life experience), and somehow still managed to end up with a great job and a 401(k). Backpacking through Europe were among the happiest months of my life.

LOL damn you sula!! Ill spontaneous you!! What happened to visiting me and skeek huh? Theres tim hortons in it for ya, tiiiim hortonssssss *waves coffee cup*
DAH!!!

Well Im sure youll have fun, just so long as spontaneous is good spontaneous and not spontaneous like the way your msn connection always boots you in the middle of a conversation :p Har har

Id like to travel at some point, but itll have to wait for me and school and lack of money to become lack of school and excess of money. Blargh.

sula, I know you're 'problem', I'm a chronic sufferer myself! But I love it in you! Nothing is impossible. You talk about hitting Europe again with the backpack? I'm going next summer, except I will be just out of my freshman year at college....aka POOR! But hey, you're only young once right? Spread your love is all, and if I need to go to Europe to do that, so be it!
wink.gif
Spontinaity (who knows how to spell that?) is a wonderful thing, a value I look for in my friends. So there, yay for spontinaity.

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

Sulababe, Im exactly the same. Im 25, dont wont to settle down in a career. I want to start over and go back to uni but the thought of being tied down to classes for 3 years is terrifying and I dont know if I could do it.
All I want to do is travel. Thats it.

In other words, I have no answers.

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

sula, im in the same boat as you.

the friend i travelled europe with right now is lovin it in turkey. hes going throughout more of the middle east though, and everything for the most part has been great for him.

so, since i miss travelling, ive already told my mom that if i get rejected into university for 2003 theres a good chance i will do whatever it takes to LIVE out there. i dunno if thats possible, but germany is the place to be for me. switzerland is cool to, who knows, i just loved everything about europe... though i know i dont want to live in france.

apparently prague is nice, ive heard nothing but great things of that city.

anyway enough rambling, if you have the money GO!!!!!!

life is short. give me one reason to be tied down to a job that slowly kills you one way or the other when in 80 years from now if your lucky enough to be alive, your past will matter as little as what you had for dinner on june 17 1998.

------------------
-deathbear

Let me just say i don't think there's anything wrong with being spontaneus.
smile.gif

If you want to travel, then do that. You can still get a job later, when you get back.

------------------
- be uncool, yes be awkward

Well sula, that's not a confession! You are following your dreams and that is great. There are no rules in life that by any certain age you have to settle down, get a "real" job or buy a house. Yuk! It's not for me right now and I graduated five years ago! (... and I am not talking highschool). That is not to say that I haven't done anything since.
I have a great place and a good job. I have even gone back to school and am about to finish a post grad program in PR. Not a masters but something practical. I have done a lot of travelling but only once was I gone for months on end. But now, I am done and am itching to go on the road again, so come September that's what I am doing! I even got the 'you are going backwards in life' speech, but I say NO WAY!
biggrin.gif

Life is an adventure and there is so much I want to see.

Good on you sula. Just be careful with those debts. They have a way of never disappearing.....

Originally posted by Ana:
I wish I could be like that. I think and plan too much

No kidding. I'm only 20, and I'm already thinking that there's gotta be more to life than this...

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

hmmm, I like where I am
my challenge is to make the most out of where I am right now

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

as long as you don?t have any commitments like husband and kids and mortage, go, do what you like to do if you can finance it somehow.

There are no rules, by what age you have to get settled down. Life your life, learn more about yourself
smile.gif

just make sure to stop at my place ...
smile.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Most people (including myself) complain that they aren't spontaneous enough!!

Deathbear, can I ask why you wouldn't want to live in France? I was hearing some not so good things about France the other day from someone who lived there awhile. My mom went to school there for a bit and as far as I know she loved it, and my dad has said that if he was going to live in Europe he would much rather live in France than, say, England (where he and my mom did live for a while.) I've just visited France and that was many years ago when I was MUCH younger. I speak French and want to visit again, but I don't see it as a place to live for me...

I have a friend who's living in Marburg, Germany right now. He's very into Germany though. I like it but I'd rather live somewhere they speak a language I know!

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Well thank you all for your encouragement and support. I know in my heart that this is what makes me happy, but one part of my brain shudders slightly at what it will look like to those on the outside. lol. Not that I've ever been one to live my life according to what others think, but I must admit to being worried about my lack of adult qualities.

Anyways, now that I've stated my intentions and made my decision, I find myself feeling just a bit less aimless. Like...at least I know what I'll be doing for the next year.
smile.gif
And really, one year at a time is enough for me.

Now for the tricky bit of finding the right air tickets and getting the best train passes.
biggrin.gif
I am already hoping to stop by and see AM and MissZooropa on my journey...who knows if I will be meeting up with other interferencers as well.

foxfire...I'll have to save that trip up to your neck of the woods until next year. Hey, by then you'll be legal tho, eh?
biggrin.gif

Dammit Sula, no more trips to Europe unless I get to come along! I could reeeally use a vacation, and hey, I'm up for Europe!
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, if it's financially feasible, then if I was in your position I'd definitely be going. As they say, you're only young once (says the 22 year old sitting in front of his computer at 3am...
biggrin.gif
).

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 03-14-2002).]

Originally posted by Diemen:
Dammit Sula, no more trips to Europe unless I get to come along! I could reeeally use a vacation, and hey, I'm up for Europe!
biggrin.gif

lol. Well, what's stopping ya, diemen? You can come along. Just as long as you realize it's a BYOB kinda trip. And that's "bring your own backpack" not beer.
wink.gif
Plenty of beer in Germany, no need to bring your own.
tongue.gif

Don't think of yourself as being TOO spontaneous. I'd LOVE to do what you're doing. Unfortunately, university and money are two factors that are working against me. I'd love to travel, even for a month, but I have to spend my summer off working as much as posssible so that I can pay to live in a hous enxt year and get out of this hell-hole that we call residence (I'm a bit bitter towards my neighbours at the moment. Sorry
smile.gif
)

I'm so jealous! You'll have a wonderful time. I went to Europe about 4 years ago...I want to go back again. One day...

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
foxfire...I'll have to save that trip up to your neck of the woods until next year. Hey, by then you'll be legal tho, eh?
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL damn right I will be baby!! WOO!! lol
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Diemen:
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, if it's financially feasible, then if I was in your position I'd definitely be going. As they say, you're only young once (says the 22 year old sitting in front of his computer at 3am...
biggrin.gif
).

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 03-14-2002).]

Diemen, I agree! (And that part about being in front of the 'puter...so painfully true. LOL 11:20pm on a Friday night.
redface.gif
)

Sula surely you're wordly enough to know that you cant live by everyone else's expectations! I'm the exact opposite to you. I'm a roots person. If I'm not planted firmly somewhere I feel insecure. When I was 22, I built my 1st home, I got married. I copped all the "You aren't going to make it" crap. As well as the "You're so young! Go out and live a bit", which directly contradicts your plan to actually go ahead and do it. Babe, you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. They say travelling is a bug and you have a very bad case of it, that will likely never leave you. You have to go really, dont you? You can no more stay put than I could pull up stumps and leave. Let your heart lead you, mine wants me to stay right here, yours wants to take you on another big wonderful journey. You can't change what makes you you!
All the best to Sula babe!

Back
Top Bottom