I am terrified of the dentist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylimeU2

Rock n' Roll Doggie
And not just terrified. Phobia would probably describe it more accurately. It all started when I was 11 or 12 and was suppose to get braces. I gagged when they took the impressions and pulled the tray out of my mouth. They went to try again the the orthodontist and his assistant physically held my arms down so I wouldn't do it again.

I never went back. My dad would make appointments and when he would come home from work to take me, I had disappeared, so that he would have to cancel them. Finally, he got tired of paying the no-show fees and just gave up on it all.

I ended up doing the same thing with the regular dentist, whom I had never had any kind of problem with. I was 20 by the time I went back. My new dentist is pretty awesome and his practice offers sedation dentistry when needed. Which I took full advantage of when I had to have fillings.

And here I am today. I have bad crowding on the bottom teeth and it causes me some pain. I also hate to admit it, but I am very self conscience about it and that is the main reason I am attempting to get it fixed. I'm suppose to get Invisalign but I can't get past the impressions. The bottom set was finished a long time ago, and I've been back in 4 times for the top impressions and they have never been able to get them. I don't want to have to sedation for that, although at this point, they are willing to go that route.

Long story short, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get past all this and get it done? My next appointment is Thursday.

My dad told me he doesn't mind going to the dentist because it's actually a chance for him to be able to sit and do nothing for a change. :laugh:

Good luck with your appointment. Just remember that going to the dentist is a good thing that greatly benefits you, even if the experience isn't always the most pleasant.

Bonochick said:
My dad told me he doesn't mind going to the dentist because it's actually a chance for him to be able to sit and do nothing for a change. :laugh:

I agree. I always have to wait several times and get a lot of reading done. The hygienists read the same books I do so then we chat.

For such a phobia, maybe sedation is necessary. I'd hate for you to have another bad experience and feel even worse. In this area, we have one dentist who specializes in sedation dentistry and helping clients who have phobias. Since they have tried 4 times, I would consider this route, otherwise you are just causing yourself more stress (and money) than necessary.

:hug:

I am petrified of the dentist (and yes, I am 29 years old). I get extremely nervous, and panicky even thinking about dentists. Even when people casually mention they have a dentist appointment, my stomach does a little flip flop.

No one could make a bigger fool of themselves in the dentists office than I have. I have fainted, vomited, cried, had panick attacks, screamed, accidentally bit the dentist's hand ... you name it, I have likely done it.

It's a major effort for me to go to the dentist.

I hate dentists There Evil. My last dental bill after major work was done came out to over 9,000 dollars!:ohmy: :scream: :shocked: :faint:

Justin24 said:
I hate dentists There Evil. My last dental bill after major work was done came out to over 9,000 dollars!:ohmy: :scream: :shocked: :faint:

OMG that bill is ridiculous! :shocked:

I have discovered that it's not the dentist I fear as much as it is the hygenists. Some of them seem like they are out for blood when they clean your teeth :yikes: My mouth aches just thinking of my last cleaning. Im very good about brushing often and flossing regularly so this cleaning was just a routine one.

Good luck with your appointment Ylime just remember that before you know it will all be over :hug:

Have you considered phobia treatments (they probably have a special name, but I don't know what it is)? Even if you go the sedation route for the impressions (and honestly it looks to me as if that might be best, just to get it over with), not being terrified every time you go to the dentist or orthodontist would be so much better.

That wasn't much practical help though. Sorry. Good luck with the braces -- I was really self conscious about my teeth too. I remember I felt more confident about what my teeth looked like as soon as I got my braces (the clunky metal-mouth type) because it showed everyone I was working on the problem.

JessicaAnn -- you must be the patient from Hell to your dentists! :ohmy: That must be really awful being stressed about it so much though.

Oh how I feel your pain! I have the exact same problem. I've never been able to have a good set of impressions done because of it! I've always avoided the dentist wherever possible. It's not the pain that gets me, it's the gagging. I think it may be a matter of the size of my mouth compared to the size of all the dental tools, ugh! It's also probably a control thing, cause I don't have trouble with gagging otherwise :shrug: You really have to find someone who understands your issues and will work with that. If you know that they know, are sympathetic and will make adaptations to make you feel comfortable, it will make all the difference. Also asking them to keep you informed of what they're doing as they go along can help. Having them just jab things in your mouth is sort of jarring when you don't know what to expect.

I don't really know a lot of people who can say they enjoy going to the dentist. Even going into this thread freaked me out a little bit. :hug:

In Dec I was put on antibiotics AGAIN for my half a tooth because they couldn't do any work or decide what to do until it had cleared. The next appointment I could get was the start of Febuary. They cancelled that and now I'm waiting to go again. I just know the infection will be back.

I tried to see about going somewhere else but it's even worse there in terms of waiting and if I need the tooth out (highly likely) I have to go to a different dentist and his waiting lists are huge. I had to get the same tooth on the other side out a few years ago with him and the stress, worry and pain I suffered waiting to get it out was the worst bit. It was totally painless during the procedure and afterwards I felt great.

I think the most important thing is to see a dentist you feel comfortable with and has a good reputation. The butcher who I went to was awful and when I tried to tell her that drilling into my nerve and stuffing filling on top of it was really sore and flinched everytime she poked at it she threatened to just pull my tooth out if I didn't wise up. :uhoh: They tried to make me go back to her again this month because she had no waiting list. :lol: :|

Dentists :down:

So yeah I didnt go for like 10 years because I had no insurance, but I had never had a cavity before that. Well I finally decided to go for a cleaning and I needed 3 fillings and a 'deep' cleaning. It was the most horrible experience ever. I had to do it on two seperate visits and the pain and aftermath was horrible. And yes I may sound like a wuss but I cant go through that again. Not to mention it cost like $500. When I went back after all this a few months later for a 'regular' cleaning the damn dentist tried to tell me that I needed ANOTHER deep cleaning! :rant: I got up and left, and told them to not call me agian. There is no way I was going to go through that again. So I guess I'm just screwed.

Maybe you should get plastered before you go :wink:

I dont really have a problem going or with treatment, but I do have a problem when they not only put the elastic on my brace really tight so i have to take 6 ibuprofen to get though the day, and when they have me wear braces for nearly 2 years only for it to not have moved the teeth enough. :mad:

U2Man said:
whats a deep cleaning?

They go beneath the gums, deeper than the gum lines and areas the hygienist cleans with a regular biannual appointment. It's mainly for gingivitis. I think most dentists will numb the area first, like when you get a tooth drilled. Usually you go in and have it done in parts, like one side or one quadrant at a time.

I've let my dentist try some crazy shit on me, but I've never had a deep cleaning (my cat has, haha!). I went years without a regular cleaning and by the time I could afford to go back, I had many cavities so I got those filled. It was too late for the deep cleaning at that point. Now that we have some dental insurance, I try to go once or twice a year because I have "soft" teeth (little fluoride) which makes me very prone to gum line and surface cavities.

Last edited:
thanks.

i never quite understood: is a 'cavity' the same thing as a 'hole'.

U2Man said:
thanks.

i never quite understood: is a 'cavity' the same thing as a 'hole'.

Yeah, it just means the tooth has decayed, usually on the gum line or the surface (top of the tooth), so there's an open spot somewhere inside. If you don't drill out the decayed part and fill it in, it will keep decaying. I had a bad one at the gum line I could actually stick my fingernail into.

Yeah instead of just using utensils to scrape the plaque from the outsides of the teeth they have to numb your mouth and go beneath the gums :sad: Ouchie.

You can't imagine the shit I went through. They pulled my only wisdom tooth, which never bothered me. plus 3 other teeth in the back on top and bottom and left and right of my mouth. I had about 4 root canals. 1 bridge. Alot of deep cleanings, fillings. So yeah, by the time this was done. I never wanted to see the dentist again!!!

The last time I went to the dentist was to get a root canal. They put two shots of novocaine to numb my mouth but it didn't work and when they did it two more times, it worked really well. TOO well. I thought I was going to choke because my throat and nose got numb and I started to freak out because I couldn't breath. :sad: I can't stand the drilling and I gag when they try to do impressions. :crack:

Eh it really doesn't matter if you have dental insurance or not. I only get $1000 for it. And once you do cleanings and whatever else you are over the amount and have to owe. It sucks! I should become a dentist because they are monkey suckers.

JessicaAnn said:
I am petrified of the dentist (and yes, I am 29 years old). I get extremely nervous, and panicky even thinking about dentists. Even when people casually mention they have a dentist appointment, my stomach does a little flip flop.

No one could make a bigger fool of themselves in the dentists office than I have. I have fainted, vomited, cried, had panick attacks, screamed, accidentally bit the dentist's hand ... you name it, I have likely done it.

It's a major effort for me to go to the dentist.

That is how it is for me. I've done all of those things, too...except when I bit the dentist's hand, it was on purpose. :shifty:

Carek1230 said:
I think most dentists are a rip off. And I have real crap dental insurance coverage. I swear dentists are more expensive than doctors!

I don't know if this a good thing or not, but at least you know the money for the dentist is going to him and his staff, whereas the money you pay to a doctor goes pretty much everywhere except the doctor.

Carek1230 said:
I think most dentists are a rip off. And I have real crap dental insurance coverage. I swear dentists are more expensive than doctors!

I really lucked out in that our dentist was a very nice man and became a family friend. He knew we didn't have dental insurance, so he always gave us breaks without us asking, never required that we pay anything up front, sent birthday and graduation cards and presents, etc. I know he's been through many hardships recently (wife had a stroke and requires his constant care, best friend died of a heart attack on a fishing trip in northern Canadian wilderness and they had to be with his body for a week before a plane came) so he deserves what he does get. He retired in Dec because his back problems were interfering with work and I've been dreading finding another dentist.

I can't stand sneaky dentists that don't tell you the difference between white or silver fillings, or a regular cleaning vs. a deep cleaning, so they can not give you a choice and then charge you for the most expensive option. Like anyone can even afford the cheap options anyway...

U2Girl1978 said:
Eh it really doesn't matter if you have dental insurance or not.

Seriously :yes:. When I had my root canal, I think the grand total was around $1,100 - for one tooth! And this was after insurance.

I paid over $300 for 3 fillings yesterday, but I'm sure I'll get another bill in the mail. I always get another bill in the mail after a dental appointment :mad: .

I think the key is finding a dentist (and hygenists) you like. I really like the one I go to now, but I sometimes feel that they're ripping me off (especially with that root canal, I went three months prior and didn't have a cavity and bam! I need a root canal now? I didn't even have pain in the tooth). So I don't hate going to the dentist like I did when I was a kid, now I just hate the bill.

Sicy said:
Dentists :down:

So yeah I didnt go for like 10 years because I had no insurance, but I had never had a cavity before that. Well I finally decided to go for a cleaning and I needed 3 fillings and a 'deep' cleaning. It was the most horrible experience ever. I had to do it on two seperate visits and the pain and aftermath was horrible. And yes I may sound like a wuss but I cant go through that again. Not to mention it cost like $500. When I went back after all this a few months later for a 'regular' cleaning the damn dentist tried to tell me that I needed ANOTHER deep cleaning! :rant: I got up and left, and told them to not call me agian. There is no way I was going to go through that again. So I guess I'm just screwed.

Maybe you should get plastered before you go :wink:

I would have gotten up and left too! Did you go get a second opinion? It would have been interesting to see what another dentist said.

you know, I used to be really good about going to the dentist. but after college in 2003, I was no longer on my mom's insurance. I finally got a job in 2004 but still I put it off until just last summer. of course I thought I was just going in for a cleaning, but they found a bunch of cavities and some of my gums were soft, or rather not as tight as they should be around my teeth. This was when I was introduced to the pick of death, a plastic pick with colors on the end to show how far it goes up into your gums, the higher it goes, the worse it is. ow!!! I'm still in the midst of getting my cavities filled. but of course even with insurance, it's still a chunk of money. I had 3 done in January, and that still cost me over $350 alone, and plus they want to see me every 4 months instead of 6 because of the condition of my teeth (of course this topic is a reminder than my appt is next Wednesday. Woooo!). Fun. I honestly didn't mind going to the dentist before now, now I kick myself because I waited so long. Pain or not, the benefit is worth it and I won't let myself not go again because of all this.

I fortunately managed to avoid a deep cleaning, but my fiance is not so lucky. He first went back to the dentist in 2003 probably after 6 or 7 years. they had to do an entire side of his mouth, or quadrants. he said it was *not* pleasant. but then he didn't go back to get the other side done. after all my problems, I encouraged him to go back and he did this past January. by that time, they had to start over and do it again. he's going back for the last of it next week. he doesn't have insurance and even though they discounted his bill for him, it's still hefty. and to make it worse, he's a total doctor phobe--medical, dental...etc.

Back
Top Bottom