I am going to Purchase....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's not legit and you can't register the license, you won't be able to update it, thus making your computer extremely vulnerable to viruses, trojans, and worm attacks. I'd check for a cheap, but un-opened, unregistered legit copy on eBay.

I've used hacked copies of Windows XP before and after a while, it becomes such a hassle, it's not worth it. They either won't update, or they try to and then it messes everything up and you have to reinstall Windows, then you're back to square one.

i never paid for any windows thingie

it's always included witht he computer and i never really upgrade

tackleberry said:
It was listed on Craigslist.

Is this legal? to buy copies? Or is it like buying those bootleg copies of movies on the street for $5?

I guess it's legal to buy an unused CD. Regardless of whether buying copies is legal or not, I don't think Microsoft much cares since they won't work and will end up screwing over your computer. See, Windows packs for personal use (as opposed to educational or corporate licenses) only work once. The CD comes with a serial number that you register w/ Microsoft in order to receive upgrades and download Windows Updates. If someone copies their CD and passes out the serial number, no one else will be able to register the operating system. If you bought a new, legit pack and installed it on your computer, your computer crashed, you bought a new one and needed to use it on their instead, you would have to call Microsoft and get them to allow for the new computer to be licensed given the circumstances. So I guess you could buy a bootleg and try to convince Microsoft it's legit, but often times people use the same hacked licenses and Microsoft even knows which ones are fakes.

Are you a student? Certain students get free Microsoft everything depending on the school and program. I've taken a few computer science classes at my college, so I have a password for the MSDN Academic Alliance. This gets me pretty much any Microsoft software except Office for free, including three different versions of Windows XP Professional.

I thought Microsoft made the SP2 update available for illegal copies too, but that might have been a rumour. Anyway, you can easily crack XP so that you can update and everything, but you could also go for Linux and Open Office etc. Practically everything is available as freeware nowadays.

DrTeeth said:
I thought Microsoft made the SP2 update available for illegal copies too, but that might have been a rumour.

I've been trying and it downloads, but won't install. It doesn't work unless you do something extra to it.

I guess I don't see the point in buying illegal copies. If you get one for free, that's worth trying, but if you're going to buy one, just get the real deal. :shrug:

DrTeeth said:
I thought Microsoft made the SP2 update available for illegal copies too, but that might have been a rumour. Anyway, you can easily crack XP so that you can update and everything

my, um, not exactly official copy of xp updates just fine, no problems.

:shifty:

do you live in a box ont he corner of a street?
poor fella
darkX_aaioverdebol.gif

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I guess it's legal to buy an unused CD. Regardless of whether buying copies is legal or not, I don't think Microsoft much cares since they won't work and will end up screwing over your computer. See, Windows packs for personal use (as opposed to educational or corporate licenses) only work once. The CD comes with a serial number that you register w/ Microsoft in order to receive upgrades and download Windows Updates. If someone copies their CD and passes out the serial number, no one else will be able to register the operating system. If you bought a new, legit pack and installed it on your computer, your computer crashed, you bought a new one and needed to use it on their instead, you would have to call Microsoft and get them to allow for the new computer to be licensed given the circumstances. So I guess you could buy a bootleg and try to convince Microsoft it's legit, but often times people use the same hacked licenses and Microsoft even knows which ones are fakes.

Are you a student? Certain students get free Microsoft everything depending on the school and program. I've taken a few computer science classes at my college, so I have a password for the MSDN Academic Alliance. This gets me pretty much any Microsoft software except Office for free, including three different versions of Windows XP Professional.

To receive a password and/or membership to MSDN, do you have to be taking "computer" classes at a College? What if you are taking "teaching English" classes at a College? Does that work?

tackleberry said:
To receive a password and/or membership to MSDN, do you have to be taking "computer" classes at a College? What if you are taking "teaching English" classes at a College? Does that work?

At our school, you have to have taken one course in computer science, engineering, or information systems. I'm not in either of those programs, but I have taken a few CPSC and IS courses so I qualified. We have a computer guy on campus who set the whole thing up and keeps it up-to-date.

It probably depends on your school's agreement w/ Microsoft.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've used hacked copies of Windows XP before and after a while, it becomes such a hassle, it's not worth it. They either won't update, or they try to and then it messes everything up and you have to reinstall Windows, then you're back to square one.

Mine still updates. :shrug:

bono_man2002 said:

Mine still updates. :shrug:

Some of them will, depending on whether it's actually been hacked, or if the serial number is just a known fake (like the one I use).

It may or may not work, but why spend money on something that's not the real deal?

Back
Top Bottom